Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 06:05 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Lit the stove last night to burn off a fresh coat of paint. Anybody know where I can get NIELS compressed wood ?......they are like Bio-Bricks, but supposed to be much better.....can't trust anyone selling cord wood that is seasoned, usually isn't even close.
They sell them at BT Enterprises in Bristol. They are $425 a pallet though Way too expensive in my opinion. They have other options for around $215-250 a ton.

http://btpellet.com/page/bricksandcoal

I occasionally use some compressed fuel in my stove. They are great for long overnight burns. I usually just go to Tractor Supply and pick them up individually there. The 3 pack there of the big blocks burns insanely hot and long. Looks like they are currently on sale as well.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...s?cm_vc=-10005
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Chilly 46° at 1pm.

What I was doing today...

Can you smell it? Cedar kindling.

1 min video of how it was done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm7H...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-01-2017, 12:04 PM

361 posts, read 385,435 times
Lit my stove for the second time this year last night, now it will burn till April 1st

I agree its hard to find a reputable seller of cord wood. I pay my guy $1000.00 for 5 cord, but it is seasoned and it measures out extra.

I burned two pallets of Biobricks a few years ago. They burn very hot but don't leave burning coals to get the fire started in the morning, as someone else mentioned. I got a little carried away with the number of bricks one evening and thought my whole house was going to burn to the ground. So hot the brackets holding the firebricks melted. In any event they are convenient.

I talked to a fellow who told me he burns pellets in his woodstove. He said they sell baskets for this purpose that fit into the stove. I have never seen one personally but that might be a handy thing for the "warmer" months.

Wishing everyone a safe and healthy burning season.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:40 PM

361 posts, read 385,435 times
Quote:
I always find myself in this position, I can get free log length dropped at home, have the chainsaw and log splitter, plenty of room for storage, just no time.

I have the same dilemma. I'm as cheap as they come but it always turned into eight weekends during the nice weather to get it all done. This was a joint effort of family and friends to get everyone set up for the winter. Even with oil at $2 a gallon I still burn wood

If oil stays at that price, and I get through 5 cord (which I will) I'm turning the furnace on My cheapness has limits

Old 11-01-2017, 05:18 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
The wife prefers the wood heat over the baseboard heat.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:48 PM

200 posts, read 241,278 times
Had to get the stove fired up this morning! I thought the sun and temps would kick in by late morning, but it was still pretty cold close to noon. First stove use of the season!! I was so ready for this! And then tomorrow is 70° (blah!)

Old 11-18-2017, 06:31 AM

Don't know about you guys but I've been burning wood like it was mid winter. I think I'm already done with 1/4 cord. Grabbing the back row since it's the most seasoned

Old 11-18-2017, 07:00 AM

200 posts, read 241,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Don't know about you guys but I've been burning wood like it was mid winter. I think I'm already done with 1/4 cord. Grabbing the back row since it's the most seasoned
I've been burning pretty solid for 2 weeks now ... it's been cold! My boys are I are starting to move wood from the woodshed to the front porch this morning ... I usually hold off until mid-December to do that!

Old 11-18-2017, 05:11 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
We've been burning off and on. Fuel Oil is relatively cheap, and I'm a bit behind (again) on my wood stacks. Just topped off at $2.399 per gallon.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
I've been burning pretty solid for 2 weeks now ... it's been cold! My boys are I are starting to move wood from the woodshed to the front porch this morning ... I usually hold off until mid-December to do that!

I burned through 1/4 cord already. Not even December. November 2012, 2013, & 2014 were as cold but I don't remember needing as much. Maybe I'm getting old or maybe the nights were bit warmer those yrs.

Quote:
We've been burning off and on. Fuel Oil is relatively cheap, and I'm a bit behind (again) on my wood stacks. Just topped off at $2.399 per gallon.

I haven't turned on the thermostat yet. Don't usually do till its like mid teens outside at night. Even if oil was $1.00 a gallon I wouldn't. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut