Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 10:33 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Stove more efficient --depends.

QE3,4,5,6,7 - LMAO...I know right..but in defense the QE is better than the Stim1 or Stim2,3,4 obama wants. Lol

Fireplaces are a waste. Maybe previous owner didn't have the money to buy or install an insert
Im thinking of jotul C550 insert. However, I also read that fireplace insert can never beat a stove even with blowers.

Any advice on this? Fireplace insert is a better design feature than a protruded stove though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 11:39 PM

74 posts, read 152,369 times
Konig, the best forum I ever found for this info is Hearth.com

Hearth.com | The Hearth Room

Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Im thinking of jotul C550 insert. However, I also read that fireplace insert can never beat a stove even with blowers.
I can agree with this statement. Here's why....

Stoves radiate the heat... meaning you have heat coming from the sides, top, back and bottom. You also have little warmth coming from the flue inside the room.

With an insert you only have heat from the front and thats why you need a blower with an insert. Now that I think about it, aside from looking better, its almost a waste having an insert...you're losing valuable heat from the sides and top of it...

Jotsul is great.... Here's another helpful forum with excellent people. http://www.arboristsite.com/index.php

Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 AM

200 posts, read 241,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I can agree with this statement. Here's why....

Stoves radiate the heat... meaning you have heat coming from the sides, top, back and bottom. You also have little warmth coming from the flue inside the room.

With an insert you only have heat from the front and thats why you need a blower with an insert. Now that I think about it, aside from looking better, its almost a waste having an insert...you're losing valuable heat from the sides and top of it...

Jotsul is great.... Here's another helpful forum with excellent people. http://www.arboristsite.com/index.php
I would have to respectfully disagree with the statement that it's "almost a waste". There are many benefits to both, so I wouldn't classify either one as the better option. Based on preference or certain requirements, both are very suitable options.

An insert was a great option for our family because
1. We already had a fireplace in the home which would never have been used beyond "ambiance"
2. We are not losing any floor space to a wood stove and it's platform
3. We have little kids. The insert is very easy to restrict access to with a simple fireplace screen. A stove would most certainly require a large corral to keep little hands at a safe distance. Please note...I'm not saying either of these options replaces full time supervision

With regard to the heat output, I think you are underestimating the amount of heat that actually moves off the insert. Certainly it requires blowers, but that should not be seen as a down side; it's just the nature of the design. Our insert certainly does radiate most of its heat off the sides and top. In fact, the glass is specially coated to refract a good portion of the heat back into the stove instead of radiating that heat itself (it does radiate heat...but less than uncoated glass would). It is designed this way so the heat IS radiated off the sides and top; and that is exactly where the blowers move the air off the stove...in great quantity. A nice consequence of this is that the blowers move air in from low points on the stove and it returns the air from the top of the stove. So the cool air near the floor is what gets heated and returned. Secondarily, any heat not blown off the stove into the home is directed through duct work in the walls (that lead to iron grates) that radiate even more heat into the home. Also...the brick surrounding the fireplace captures and radiates a significant about of heat.

I'm not claiming that this insert delivers as much heat as an equivalent free standing stove...but I would not say it is significantly less either. Put it this way...in January, the stove will keep the entire house at 68° day and night. Right now, with our nights getting down into the high 20's, it is keeping the house at 76° (a bit too warm for me...so we have windows cracked).

I just had to clarify this so that it would not put anyone off from considering an insert.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:50 PM

Excellent post...I should not have used that word...in fact I recommend inserts especially when there's no space for stoves...plus inserts are more modern looking...

It musta been before my coffee when I posted that..

I know someone with a colonial and an insert would be perfect because all the heat would be pushed and rise. Yes the heat output is incredible with an insert...

And what's the point keeping an open fireplace if not in use? :-)
Good post thanks for clarifying

Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
However, I also read that fireplace insert can never beat a stove even with blowers.

Any advice on this? Fireplace insert is a better design feature than a protruded stove though.
I am interested in where you found this info...I think there may be something to it...we have an insert and it helps keep the room toasty there is no way it could ever heat my bottom floor. However, I need to research that something is amiss with it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorneau View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree with the statement that it's "almost a waste". There are many benefits to both, so I wouldn't classify either one as the better option. Based on preference or certain requirements, both are very suitable options.

An insert was a great option for our family because
1. We already had a fireplace in the home which would never have been used beyond "ambiance"
2. We are not losing any floor space to a wood stove and it's platform
3. We have little kids. The insert is very easy to restrict access to with a simple fireplace screen. A stove would most certainly require a large corral to keep little hands at a safe distance. Please note...I'm not saying either of these options replaces full time supervision
These are the reasons we chose an insert, as well. A woodburning stove, even with the gate around it, can be very hazardous with children.
Plus, an insert looks nicer!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I am interested in where you found this info...I think there may be something to it...we have an insert and it helps keep the room toasty there is no way it could ever heat my bottom floor. However, I need to research that something is amiss with it....

These are the reasons we chose an insert, as well. A woodburning stove, even with the gate around it, can be very hazardous with children.
Plus, an insert looks nicer!
Ironically I think I got the info from hearth.com. There are some who mentioned that you have to move quite close to the fireplace insert to feel the heat if blowers are not installed.

Im thinking of moving the stove to the shed and installing a insert at my open fireplace. I've actually thought about connecting the stove to the fireplace opening but it looks ghastly!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 PM

34 posts, read 92,149 times
hi,
nice stove well It look nice to see such stoves and heaters when temperature is around 40F here...

Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
....we have an insert and it helps keep the room toasty there is no way it could ever heat my bottom floor. However, I need to research that something is amiss with it....
Ducts... Run a 6" flex duct with a small circulating fan and you can vent the heat to the lower floor. Or a pass through vent but since heat rises this might not work.

Some links that might help.

120VAC 4" Fan : Computer Fans | RadioShack.com

How to move the heat from a wood stove (http://www.woodheat.org/planning/heatdist.htm - broken link)

Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM

2,494 posts, read 3,245,156 times
Just curious if Hartford or any city in CT has "no burn" days like we do in CA.
(Before some folks start jumping up and down the restrictions came under the Bush administration).
We check the State web site to get the OK to burn, most of the time its OK.
Thanks..AB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut