Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:11 PM

21,566 posts, read 30,996,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh please. People need to vote on policy, not stupid advertisements.
My decision was made long before Linda started her attack ads. Linda is a heartless you-know-what who can't give a crap less about normal, working class people like you and me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
It boggles my mind how gullible Americans are.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 04:26 PM

257 posts, read 608,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
So wait..You're commenting on something that you've never experienced? Are you one of those Republicans that inherited ur conservativism?

I wish i would have responded to this earlier. Having grown up in a low income area, I would have to tell you that the kids that are truly on state would be wearing either fake sneakers or sneakers that their aunts and uncles bought them. I used to get $90 uptowns from my aunt twice a year. Was I not suppose to accept them because my mom couldn't afford them? What exactly are u saying here? Judgemental much????

Have you ever had a job in your life???????? Because most people who have had one know that a person has to work for a certain time before they can collect unemployment. They usually have to work a full time schedule for that time period also. So you're implication that Dick Blumenthal is interested in giving unemployment benefits to "lazy people" isn't going to cut it. Or if this is not what you're trying to say, speak clearer. Do you work for the Linda McMahon campaign?

Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow... lol, this is amazing. Let me introduce myself. I intend on applying to a pharmacy school sometime after I graduate. I've been a license pharmacy tech since high school and I've worked in the profession on and off during college. There are numerous inaccuracies with your comments about pharmacies. First of all, there are 4 ways that an individual can get aid from the government in terms of prescriptions:

-Medicare Part D, which is a Prescription plan introduced by George Bush in 2006. Medicare Part D is a program that offers prescription drug assistance to low income seniors. These seniors pay a copay. Once the drug benefit pays for x number of copays, the seniors must pay $2500 out of pocket for their medications before the program will kick in again. This is called "the donut hole". President Obama has ended the donut hole beginning in 2012 with the new affordability act.

-Medicare Part B pays durable medical equipment and diabetes supplies and usually has no associated copay

-CT Medicaid pays for prescriptions all Connecticut residents under the age of 18. It pays for low income families for a period of 39 months with a continued need assessment called redetermination (conducted by DSS). It also pays for the mentally retarded and people who can't work anymore due to injury. It also pays for the copays of low income seniors who cannot afford to pay more than $15 a month in copays (usually combined with other need based programs for the elderly like CONNPACE or even Medicare Part D)

-Charter Oak Health Plan is a program for families who do not qualify for Medicaid but have met other income guidelines. They normally pay copays for their medications.

My point is the folks that walk into a pharmacy to pick up their prescriptions with prescription assistance actually need the assistance more probably 4x the number that actually don't. And makes sure she knows that she could be fired and sued if she says anything stupid to anybody who "she thinks" is ripping off the government. And she will look stupid if her assumption is wrong about that person.

Comments like this is why i don't vote Republican

Yes. But like Kaynor in Waterbury (I'm more familiar with Kaynor Tech), they probably don't take ALL that want to go their. Kaynor denied people by the truckload when I was in eighth grade. Does that mean that all those people are destined have a poor life. But since we live in reality, we know that that's likely to happen because all the other city schools don't offer a trade where you can get a job right outta school.

There's a catch to this, too. Most branches require you to not have asthma or diabetes (which many blacks have), you can't be obese, you have to pass a physical, you have to pass an ASVAB, and you can't be on probation or have any felonies. In my experience, more people want to join the military from the hood than you can imagine.

Yea, countries like...Waterbury. 5 years ago, if you dialed 911 in waterbury for the police you would normally get an a**hole miserable cop who would rant about how poor people are pathetic. Kinda like this story
Three arrested after Waterbury shooting The Republican-American#

Almost a thousand people live there and nobody called 911. 2 shotgun blasts. LOL The "Republican"-American will never get it. Why? Nobody's afraid of anybody, its Waterbury. They just don't want to put up with the police's sh*t. Nothings changed in 5 years i'd bet.

Do you think we're all dumb? I don't understand why a pretty intellegent man keeps posting biased links/videos and expects for people not to view them as biased. Do you think we don't know who kevin hennessy is? Would you like for me to post something from Paul Krugman now? So we can start a debate on the economy and get no where by doing so?

I normally ignore these links but they're beginning to get insulting. By posting commentaries by conservative economists are you saying that these bushisms are superior to all other ideologies? Actually, by introducing biased commentaries in a thread like this, it should be considered propaganda and it should be banned. If I would respond in the wrong way it would be banned. I'll never understand how this website works.

Bush, even though I do respect him for his domestic policies more than many other liberals would, didn't create jobs. I could post something up here about the bubble that we were in by nobel-prize winning economists that prove that the Bush economic policies didn't necessarily create jobs and that we were in a bubble. But I'm not gonna because of course most of them are liberal and it would start an unnecessary argument between ideals. Plus you conservatives wouldn't read them.

Why don't you post conservative academics who no longer have a role in the Republican Party or a conservative think tank? (like david frum)
I understand alot of what you said and agree with some of it. I don't have the time to respond like I want to but all I can say is I don't have the knowledge and experience with politics that most of you have on here probably. I don't think I would vote for either Linda or Dick because they have both have terrible downfalls. Just because I am mostly conservative on my views doesn't mean I would only go republican. I love the West Virginia Governor for example, atleast from what I have heard him speak about. You can never hear enough about someone to even have a fair vote for that person. I hated it when Dick opposed putting Wind Mills in the sound, and it wasn't as if he opposed them due to lack of wind which might have made sense...he opposed them because it would "disturb" commercial boating......give me a break, wind power is our future...

I do think that single moms, disabled, and people who have had a sudden impact in life do deserve state aid, but I think it needs to be regulated better and needs better restrictions. Too often do I see it abused, and im only going by what I have seen in life. I know people that really needed it and people who just abuse the system.....and it's mostly been people who just abuse the system.

I don't wanna get on anyones bad side on here, no hard feelings to anyone.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:00 PM

257 posts, read 608,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Out of curiosity, what did you experience going in and out of a building that has changed your outlook so? Specifics please...

Did you ever stop and think of why Blumenthal has the support of most of Connecticut? The $50 million in expenditures is her only chance at the seat because she doesn't have superior plans and ideas. She only has money and the temerity to spend $50 million.

I don't know if you've been checking the polls, but, they indicate just the opposite. Blumenthal and Malloy are quite a bit ahead, and last I check,ed both Democrats. We won't know until election day, however.

Where do you go to high school? The % of kids on Federally Subsidized lunches is public information. It would be very easy to verify whether "all these kids" are getting free lunches at all.

As far as you subsidizing their lunch... Why should I subsidize your education? I don't have kids in school. I don't have kids at all. Perhaps your parents should pay 100% for your schooling.

Where are you getting your numbers from? Why does a 17 year old know all of these drug addicts and criminals. If your going to use personal anecdote instead of statistical analysis, you'd better have some validity instead of simply adopting your father's attitude, or what you see on Fox news that seems to appeal to you and spouting it here... So let's see the proof.

As far as poverty meaning they're (note correct use of the contraction) lazy... Did you know you can work two ful time jobs and still be poor in the USA if you have a family? Did you know that most people in the US are a serious illness away from bankruptcy. Want to know how much my bout with colon cancer has cost me so far... And I have insurance... More money than the average family has saved.

I'd like to see you raise a kid on what someone makes at Burger King. Try to pay rent, medical costs, clothing, etc. You're awfully caviler about what it takes to make a living, when you live under your parents roof with them paying your expenses. Drop out of high school now and go rent an apartment. Tell me how easy it is then.

As for the pharmacy story, I have a relative who works in one, she is not a conservative nor a liberal, she even voted for Obama.....she has changed her opinions on many things since working in a pharmacy drastically. It's disgusting what comes there to pickup there much needed pills with money from her paycheck.

You bet. This is the USA... If we are truly better than other countries (instead of just paying lip service to being better) than we take care of our poor, disabled and ill. Part of that is housing them. I have an elderly aunt who lives in public housing in NYC. It's not bad at all. You really should broaden your horizons.

I don't know anything about Atlanta, and there is no reason to go that far for an example of awful public housing. Do some research on Father Panick Village, formerly in Bridgeport. It was also torn down.

I would ask then, without public housing, what would you do instead? Simply let people live on the street like animals? It's sad that someone your age has so little compassion.

Kids in Bridgeport have fewer options than I did growing up in Trumbull and Westport. Yes. If you think Platt Tech and the Military offer the same opportunity structure to an individual that my education at the largest research university in the world and my masters from an Ivy League University offer, you're insane. Simply by having the money for me to go to college opens up huge opportunities for me as an average high school student.

The military? That's right... If you're poor, one of your options for "getting out" should be being a military grunt, getting shot at, injured and possibly killed in unjust wars? If you think it's so lovely in the military, I'd love to pair you up with my best friend. He's a psychologist for the VA treating soldiers who just came back from Iraq/Afganistan for PTSD. Lovely option the military is. I respect those who server, but that should not be the primary path out of poverty.

I really am curious what you experienced that made you so jaded and discompassionate at 17.
No it wasn't from going in and out of a building. It was when my sister worked at a fast food joint and got caught up with some bum from New Haven. He was an addict and I had to deal with alot of bs going into slums and dealing with jerks and cops routinely. She has since got away from the bs and moved on, going to college, etc.

I watch Mike Huckabee on Fox, thats about all...lot of shows are way to biased and is more of just business and marketing towards republicans who will tune in so they can cash in. Same goes for CNN except for democrats, but I watch Larry King and Anderson Cooper alot.

60% of my school gets reduced lunch

Im confused about you and college. You seem to be a know it all about kids who can't afford to go to college. I can't afford it....thats why I knew to go to a trade school. I enjoy working on cars and plan on making a living out of it. If I get down, I would join the military. You don't instantly die.....You can gain a good education through the military. I have several friends that joined the military and enjoy it and if gives them a great start on life.

I agree we need public housing for those who NEED it. I am compassionate to who need help. But everytime I drive down Luarel/Eastern ST in New Haven, all I see are a bunch of ghettos hanging outside of there public housing....they look like they really need it....especially there kids they buy bb guns for and allow to shoot out windows of the near by parked cars at the Walgreens on route 80.

Of course the needy have needs and I support it....I just support putting heavier restrictions and regulations on it.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,907,701 times
For all the discussion and arguing going on here, I think we just have to accept the fact that really nothing will change. It's the rare individual who goes to Washington these day to do "good". Almost every one of those sad sacks elected go there to do "well". It really sucks, but until that day when somebody really dynamic comes along (think Reagen), we must accept these bottom feeders who get elected.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:30 PM

59 posts, read 99,389 times
How do people in north and east Connecticut feel about the rich Fairfield Countyites representing them? What could a bunch of Greenwich millionaires have in common with a hardworking blue collar person in Bozrah?? How could any of these imperialiasts relate to the average person? Screw their plans and screw their commercials. They are all a bunch of phonies.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM

21,566 posts, read 30,996,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyshire View Post
Screw their plans and screw their commercials. They are all a bunch of phonies.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,941,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyshire View Post
How do people in north and east Connecticut feel about the rich Fairfield Countyites representing them? What could a bunch of Greenwich millionaires have in common with a hardworking blue collar person in Bozrah?? How could any of these imperialiasts relate to the average person? Screw their plans and screw their commercials. They are all a bunch of phonies.
I would agree with you in emotion, but the problem is I have worked for many of those "Imperialists" and for the most part, they are normal, thinking, feeling, decent individuals who are demonized on a regular basis for their success yet carry the lions share of the tax burden for those who don't.

And for the record, "imperialist" Linda was a flat broke teenaged mom on welfare at one time so I think she remembers what the people in Bozrah are going through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut