Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:56 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times

Advertisements

you can go to the Maine dealership's website and print the vehicle with the vin #, and it shows the make/model of the truck (F150 lariat Supercab 4x4) and the price. I bet if I print that and walked in to the dealership here one of two things will happen

1) they'll tell me no way they can sell me their truck for that price, and it can't be true, at which point they'll see the back of my head and my tail lights.
2) they'll try to wheel and deal me and ask me all sorts of questions. If it comes down to $1000 or so difference, I'll buy it here, but I doubt they can drop it that low.

believe me I was shocked as well when I looked up there. I couldn't believe the selection they had. Wife and I counted 60 or so F150's, they had almost the same amount of F250's, plus Escapes, fusions, Focus, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
What dealers don't tell you about is the givebacks they get. This is the money that the car company pays them when they sell the car. This is usually 2% for foriegn cars and 3% on American. There are also sales incentives for them as well. It is more than enough profit for them to make so when they say they are selling you a car at invoice it means they are making a decent amount of money. Jay

Old 10-12-2010, 12:06 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Do you have it in writing? If so, that could be used a leverage to get a lower price locally. From what I have seen is that Connecticut Dealers do not have to offer good deals because we are such an affluent state.
For what it's worth, my experience has been that CT dealers would rather not sell you a vehicle than sell you one at a good price. I guess they figure that an affluent buyer who doesn't care much about getting a good deal will eventually show up.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
For what it's worth, my experience has been that CT dealers would rather not sell you a vehicle than sell you one at a good price. I guess they figure that an affluent buyer who doesn't care much about getting a good deal will eventually show up.
I get that feeling too, first place we went to when we bought my wife's Escape they only came down $400 off sticker. Other places we went to tried to wheel and deal, my wife wanted a limited model, one guy said, we'll swap out the seats on an XLT and add in heated seats, leather and SYNC and make it limited. Yeah right.

We got a good deal but had to look around.

Looks like when I go to buy I'm going to Maine.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I agree. Our local dealer had a vehicle that had been on his lot for three months. Rather than come down in price they let us walk away. this is the third time we tried to buy from this dealer and not once were they interested in even coming close to another dealer's quote. I told the sales manager that they really need to re-evaluate their sales strategy because I was going to let everyone I know know about the way they deal. In the last couple of months I have steered a couple of people from them to other dealers that offer lower prices. Not sure if this dealer is getting the message though. Maybe they can just live off servicing the vehicles and selling to people with money to burn. Jay

Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 PM

does that happen to be a Ford dealer your speaking of? If so PM me, wondering if it's the same one we had dealings with. Funny thing was when we first moved up here I got a great deal on my current pickup with them. I was shocked when they wouldn't come down in price, and I'm a past customer, who always has both our vehicles serviced there.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
I moved here from Maine a couple of years ago now and know what you mean about the prices. There are a couple of large Ford and Chevy dealers there that have great mark downs off the MSRP. I will buy one there again from the same dealer I have been working with for over 20 years when it is time to replace my F-350, so let us know how you make out.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
does that happen to be a Ford dealer your speaking of? If so PM me, wondering if it's the same one we had dealings with. Funny thing was when we first moved up here I got a great deal on my current pickup with them. I was shocked when they wouldn't come down in price, and I'm a past customer, who always has both our vehicles serviced there.
No, it was not. Jay

Old 08-25-2013, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,233 times
Default Living in CT, buying a car privately in NY

Just trying to figure out how to do this. The car is 1.5 hours away. We just agreed to a price. We need to exchange payment/ title and bill of sale. I was hoping to meet in the middle, but she can't drive home without title and I can't drive it without plates. I can't get temp tags without the title. She is not able to drive it all the way to me and I'm trying to avoid driving all this way, twice. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: