U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2007, 12:15 PM

69 posts, read 124,952 times
Default Areas for over 40 singles?

Any ideas would be appreciated....my dream is to head back to the East Coast, not too far from NYC, where I grew up. I am currently stuck in a pretentious and unfriendly suburb of Chicago...nothing here for single moms at all.....my kids will be grown in a few years. I have my own business, so can live anywhere. The ONLY good thing about where I am living now is that I can walk to many places.
The other thing that I hate about where we live ( which has also been hard for my kids) is that people have lived here forever....going back many generations...even if you DO have a husband /country club membership, it is hard to fit in here, as everyone has so much family, lifetime friends...
Costs where I am now are the highest in the Midwest ( average home price is $500,000) so I do not think I would feel sticker shock....
I am looking forward to escaping from here....so would love ANY ideas!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:06 AM

13,848 posts, read 21,192,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomom2 View Post
I am currently stuck in a pretentious and unfriendly suburb of Chicago...nothing here for single moms at all.....my kids will be grown in a few years.
Chicagomom2 - I did not think that there was anywhere in the midwest that was unfriendly .

Have you considered moving to the Hartford area? It is less expensive than places that are suburbs of New York, but it is still a nice small city with a lot to do. I will say the CT has a reputation of being reserved so you may have to work to meet people but you certainly can find a very nice home for $500k or less.

Another option would be southwest CT which is a suburb of New York City. A lot to do but $500k wouldn't buy you a lot. Good luck. Jay

Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 AM

132 posts, read 404,879 times
IMO (having lived here all my life), most of CT is very family-oriented... Most of the state consists of suburban areas, where you need a car to get around and there are not easy ways to meet people. Therefore, I think your best bet would be one of the more urban areas. I'd suggest Stamford, New Haven, Middletown, or West Hartford.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks for your replies!! Yes, the Midwest is generally very friendly. My mother is from Central Illinois, and folks there live up to that reputation quite well.
The Chicago suburbs, especially the expensive ones, do not fit that mold at all....in fact, quite a few people in my area want to be sure that their kids go to East Coast colleges, and some even send their kids to prep schools there....
( which I think is kind of funny)
the area I am in is like Greenwich or even Scarsdale NY. Very pretentious, lots of country clubbers.....

However, I have to say that the schools here are excellent, and the weather
( believe it or not) is decent. Good grocery shopping as well.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:20 AM

131 posts, read 466,152 times
What suburb do you live in? I am in Chicago as well, but I live in the city. I have only been here for a couple of years so I have a hard time distinguishing between the many suburbs that surround Chicago.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM

I am in Winnetka. Only here for the schools, just have a few more years to go.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut