Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:57 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Life is expensive, no matter where you live in the U.S. However, there are extreme places such as NYC where you pretty much have to make at least $60K just to get by. $120K to live comfortably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,470 times
I feel that CT is cheaper in some ways.We bought a house here in CT (Derby/Orange border). We moved from NY in Westchester, which in case you live under a rock,is the most unaffordable area in NY. We could not buy a home in NY without being house poor(Housing is out of control here). Here in CT, we bought a nice sized house for half the price of a comparable one in NY ......plus our taxes are $3872 instead of $7-9000 for the same size. We also find the groceries,pet food are cheaper here than in NY too. Even my car insurance is ALOT cheaper here....and I moved from a great area in NY.
Only thing is the United Illuminating is more expensive than Con-Edison in NY. Go live in NY for 40 years and try to live within your means and then come back to CT........alot is cheaper. Things are expensive everywhere but we find CT to be cheaper as far as housing and other things. The taxes in NY are out of control. Even our closing costs were cheaper in CT than if we bought in NY. NY adds a $4000-6000 NY closing cost tax on top of the other costs. To us, CT is much better as far as living costs.

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 10-19-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 11:36 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times
I just left CA and can vouch for the fact that groceries were MUCH cheaper there. Produce is half of what it is here (assuming you don't mind everything being from Mexico) as were meat and packaged goods. Utilities were 1/4, but it's not a fair comparison since our old place didn't have or need AC, and the heat kicked on about 60 days a year sometime between 2am and 8am. However, for Con Ed at least, it appears we get charged double for our electricity - in and out, which is odd. Gas is cheaper, but not by much. Car insurance is less here, too. Also, services will all cost you a lot more - haircuts, tailor, dry cleaning, auto, gardeners, handymen, housekeepers, etc. (but again, most of these people in CA were not even legal, let alone licensed).

However, the 9.75% sales tax will kill you, as will the state income tax (I believe around 10% - the max bracket attained once you make $40K a year). But on a plus side, I can actually send my kids to the public schools here.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:57 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I expected the same thing when I was living in CA for a bit. To my surprise, lots of things there were actually cheaper (rent was similar, utilities were almost nothing, gas was about five cents higher in CA, groceries were less there).

There are a few who like to gloss over cost of living here - I'm not sure why.
I also heard rent in CA was relatively cheap.

If you are talking about CT cost of living it depends where in CT you are talking about. Fairfield county is extremely expensive. Hartford and east is much cheaper.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneybeach View Post
This is what we keep hearing. "You're moving to the most expensive part of the US. Everything is so expensive."
Can someone tell me exactly WHAT is so expensive apart from housing?

Groceries?
Petrol?
Cars?
Electricity (close to the highest in the US), auto fuel (close to the highest in the US), any personal services (from car repair to haircuts), that kind of stuff.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

It always makes me chuckle when people claim that CT is affordable by comparing it to one of the most expensive cities in the world (NYC). What kind of comparison is that??
Shocking as it may sound New York is cheaper than a lot of other "global" cities in the same league (eg I've read it's cheaper than Paris, London, Tokyo, Moscow, Stockholm). In this particular survey, New York ranked #29:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...ve-cities-2010

Old 10-20-2010, 04:52 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Sydneybeach - You can go to Walmart and buy a sweatshirt for $10. Milk is $2.50. Gas is $3.00 compared to the national average of $2.80...

So there's not much difference... And once you compare income to the south where taxes and homes are dirt cheap...it really ends up that housing is affordable around here.

So that statement is becoming less and less true.

Last edited by JayCT; 10-20-2010 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Removed flame

Old 10-20-2010, 07:04 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I just left CA and can vouch for the fact that groceries were MUCH cheaper there. Produce is half of what it is here (assuming you don't mind everything being from Mexico) as were meat and packaged goods. Utilities were 1/4, but it's not a fair comparison since our old place didn't have or need AC, and the heat kicked on about 60 days a year sometime between 2am and 8am. However, for Con Ed at least, it appears we get charged double for our electricity - in and out, which is odd. Gas is cheaper, but not by much. Car insurance is less here, too. Also, services will all cost you a lot more - haircuts, tailor, dry cleaning, auto, gardeners, handymen, housekeepers, etc. (but again, most of these people in CA were not even legal, let alone licensed).

However, the 9.75% sales tax will kill you, as will the state income tax (I believe around 10% - the max bracket attained once you make $40K a year). But on a plus side, I can actually send my kids to the public schools here.
Surely you could not have been living in Silicon Valley/Bay Area! I go there regularly, and have seen $6+ boxes of cereal for the last 2 years. PG&E is now talking about a tiered electricity pricing which starts at $0.12/Kwh and goes up to $0.40!

Produce I'll grant you...

Old 10-20-2010, 08:36 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
So there's not much difference... And once you compare income to the south where taxes and homes are dirt cheap...it really ends up that housing is affordable around here.
Weren't you the one bi*ching about the cost of living around here, claiming you wanted to move to Vermont or NH because it's "so cheap"?

Don't be "rediculas".

Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times
Rajmelk,

Nope, Los Angeles. Everything was always on sale it seemed, so I never paid $6 a box unless I went to Whole Foods. Elecricity was city-owned and operated - DWP. So, I don't know if the rates are higher here, or I'm just using a ton more power. All I know is that in the summer at least, my bill went from $100 to $400. Eeek!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut