Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times

Advertisements

[quote=LRPct;16349086 I dealt with those charged with "using without permission" EVERY week. Theft of an auto.. maybe a couple times a month.
[/quote]

I believe it....CT has a lot of teens! I remember my brothers "borrowing" my parents car a few times thinking they would never find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 03:27 AM

34 posts, read 92,182 times
hi,
Well I dint know that there is any law related to " without permission" driving, well I think if you taking car of your friend then it will be okay, But as you said you two are friends then what is the issue in telling him, just give him a call and tell him.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM

856 posts, read 2,015,379 times
The fine lines...

Note that while your friend can allow you permission to USE the vehicle you may still be responsible for violations that happen as the operator. For instance if you hit something or someone you will be responsible for the damage as the operator should the owner choose not to file an insurance claim. Also the insurance company doesn't have to cover you even though you have permission to use the actual vehicle. Be forewarned if you cause serious damage even if the owner's insurance covers it you can still be sued by the insurance company or the owner of the property you damaged. Another thing to be cautious about is if there are any registration/emsissions violations...as the operator of a vehicle not allowed to be on the road you can face penalties. However if you have been drinking and cause damage to something its going to be the owner who is at fault because if they know you are intoxicated they cannot legally give you the instrument to cause damage.

Even if it's family who use your cars I would double check with your insurance agent...I mean there's no cost to ask a question usually...and see if they require a copy of their driver's license or anything else. Typically the "vehicle" is insured not the driver but you may not know your father in-law has a suspended license...hell he may not know either.

The person you give keys to may be the best driver in the world but it's other people you have to worry about.

Food for thought...

Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 AM

34 posts, read 92,182 times
hi, TobinJ
I am agree with you, but life's another name is uncertainty, You can't predict what happen next just for the same, you can't stop helping your friends. Well thats what I think, else very one have their own opinion.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
The fine lines...

Note that while your friend can allow you permission to USE the vehicle you may still be responsible for violations that happen as the operator. For instance if you hit something or someone you will be responsible for the damage as the operator should the owner choose not to file an insurance claim. Also the insurance company doesn't have to cover you even though you have permission to use the actual vehicle. Be forewarned if you cause serious damage even if the owner's insurance covers it you can still be sued by the insurance company or the owner of the property you damaged. Another thing to be cautious about is if there are any registration/emsissions violations...as the operator of a vehicle not allowed to be on the road you can face penalties. However if you have been drinking and cause damage to something its going to be the owner who is at fault because if they know you are intoxicated they cannot legally give you the instrument to cause damage.

Even if it's family who use your cars I would double check with your insurance agent...I mean there's no cost to ask a question usually...and see if they require a copy of their driver's license or anything else. Typically the "vehicle" is insured not the driver but you may not know your father in-law has a suspended license...hell he may not know either.

The person you give keys to may be the best driver in the world but it's other people you have to worry about.

Food for thought...
Food for thought.. An insurance company CAN and sometimes even deny coverage for the owner if "they see fit", OR after paying a claim may sue the owner for damages they may have caused. The insurance game whether it be health, car, home, etc is some of the scummiest "business" on earth.. Insurance companies make money either denying claims or suing others. Their greed and hypocripsy are second only to the oil companies.

So personally, I don't worry too much about who I may lend my cars to. I don't think I know anyone irresponsible enough to worry me. If I did, well simply, they wouldn't borrow my car or much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut