Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 AM

173 posts, read 351,661 times

Advertisements

Hi, all - we've had it with the high cost and poor quality of our IO TV package. We need phone, TV and DSL in Fairfield, CT. What companies do you like/trust for any of these services? Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 30,925 times
try comcast i think they have one in the area.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 AM

173 posts, read 351,661 times
They don't - the Comcast site flipped me right over to Optimum Online. I'll probably go with Direct TV for satellite, which leaves phone and DSL. Suggestions?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meglion View Post
They don't - the Comcast site flipped me right over to Optimum Online. I'll probably go with Direct TV for satellite, which leaves phone and DSL. Suggestions?
I can't comment on the service and/or quality because I don't have it (I have Comcast), but Direct TV has a triple-play package so you can get TV, Internet, and phone service all from them.

DIRECTV: Best Bundles

I have heard, though, that the Internet connections are on the slow side for *some* things (downloading?) because of the satellite aspect of it, but I can't confirm that.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,069 times
go out to ATT's UVerse site and type in your zip code to see if they offer service down there.. i waited for about 2 years before it became available in Middletown and i didn't hesitate when it did. more HD channels and much better picture than Comcast though it is a bit pricier. i already had DSL and landline with ATT so it was an easy transition for me to just add cable via the 3-service bundle.

ATT

Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,946 times
I'm pretty sure that satellite TV (Dish Network) is your only option besides Optimum/Cablevision in Fairfield County. Verizon Fios is creeping its way into Connecticut but it's only offered in certain parts of Greenwich.

It may be worth putting up with the poor TV service right now and waiting to see what Google TV has in store for us when it comes out in the next month or two. Google TV Inches Closer to Reality With HBO, Twitter, Netflix Partnerships Apple TV is also an option, but you have to pay per episode and you won't have access to live feeds; there's a chance that Google may have subscription choices for blocks of channels and live shows. It couldn't hurt to wait a few weeks to see if you may want to cancel your TV subscription altogether in favor of new technology. I would love to cancel Optimum, too!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,895 times
We're in the middle of ditching the local carriers altogether. Get an HD OTA antenna in your attic (antennaweb.com is a good resource) and run the cable to a home theater PC (HTPC). Free HD for the basic channels, and the HTPC can handle DVR features. You can also use netflix streaming, hulu, and some other resources for other shows. And for the premium pay channels (HBO, SHO, etc.) you can just wait for the series to come out on DVD. Even better, turn it off and go outside and take a walk.

But if you still want the expensive easy route (no judgement ) then ATT Uverse has been excellent for the past 2 yrs we've had them.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:51 AM

235 posts, read 783,251 times
AT&T Uverse and Verizon FIOS would be my top choices, but FIOS is only available (as an earlier poster mentioned) close to the NY/CT border, while AT&T don't offer Uverse everywhere - you can check on their website using your street address. Where we live, AT&T partner Dish network to provide TV & cable services. They've been promising an upgrade to Uverse for 3 years now.....

I cannot stand Cablevison (Optimum) but am stuck with it, in spite of their high costs and never-ending contractual arguments with various networks (first HGTV/Food Network, then ABC, and currently Fox 5). As soon as a realistic alternative comes around, I'll be first in line to switch... even for the same cost.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:54 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
In Fairfield you have a choice between Cablevision and AT&T but AT&T is not available everywhere. I know someone who wants it but can't get it yet.

I hear a LOT of complaints about Cablevision in Fairfield. They are always changing things and removing channels. It is very frustrating for people. I keep telling them to complain to the town because Cablevision is offered through an agreement with the town. Jay

Old 10-20-2010, 03:42 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Yeah, I heard a lot of problems with IO...especially the phone... Aside from the teaser $29.99 per month its not worth it. I just use Optimum online for internet. Cell phone for phone. and DirecTV for tv. Been with DireCTV for 9 years, Sprint 13. Optimum 7. I wont change.

DirecTV also has internet available wirelessly...check them out if you're tired of everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut