Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM

64 posts, read 101,252 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience in the Stamford public or private schools. We now live and work in Stamford, and as long as our jobs stay here, we would strongly prefer not to move. I think that Greenwich and Darien are probably out of our budget, and I fear that anywhere else in Fairfield County would entail a nightmarish commute. I really value the extra time we get to spend as a family given our current 10 minute commute.

I'd like to know what we're in for when our son is ready to start school. I've seen a lot of posts steering people away from Stamford public schools, but I'd like to hear from people who have personal experience in those schools (or in Stamford private or parochial schools), particularly at the elementary school level. Do you think your child is receiving a high quality education? (I'm aware of the test scores, and find it interesting, for example, that the results look much better when looking at demographic subgroups, such as non-economically disadvantaged.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
Here is a link to information on the public schools in Connecticut. The information should help you by looking at Connecticut Mastery Test scores and class sizes. Test scores should generally be at or above the state average to be considered good IMHO and class sizes should be lower than 23 students per class to be considered good. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by District

Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec38 View Post
I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience in the Stamford public or private schools. We now live and work in Stamford, and as long as our jobs stay here, we would strongly prefer not to move. I think that Greenwich and Darien are probably out of our budget, and I fear that anywhere else in Fairfield County would entail a nightmarish commute. I really value the extra time we get to spend as a family given our current 10 minute commute.

I'd like to know what we're in for when our son is ready to start school. I've seen a lot of posts steering people away from Stamford public schools, but I'd like to hear from people who have personal experience in those schools (or in Stamford private or parochial schools), particularly at the elementary school level. Do you think your child is receiving a high quality education? (I'm aware of the test scores, and find it interesting, for example, that the results look much better when looking at demographic subgroups, such as non-economically disadvantaged.)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hi,
I would be happy to speak to you about Stamford Public Schools, send you an info packet, and answer any questions you have.

Regards,
Sarah Arnold
Public Affairs Officer, SPS
[EMAIL="sarnold@ci.stamford.ct.us"]sarnold@ci.stamford.ct.us[/EMAIL]

Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,621,127 times
Stamford is a case where you should ignore test scores. You have a socioeconomic variety so your test scores are not going to reflect what's offered…and a lot is offered in Stamford. While I don't work directly with the schools, I do deal with a lot of girls out of West Hill and they have all gone onto impressive schools (Dartmouth, USC, William & Mary just to name a few). If you're an involved parent, your child will do very well there. There are loads of activities, clubs, and sports in addition to an intense curriculum.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,851,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnold View Post
Hi,
I would be happy to speak to you about Stamford Public Schools, send you an info packet, and answer any questions you have.

Regards,
Sarah Arnold
Public Affairs Officer, SPS
sarnold@ci.stamford.ct.us
Hey, i remember you when you worked for News 12. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut