Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 PM

71 posts, read 249,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet View Post
It's not so much that I despise these type vehicles - it's the attitude that can come with it.

So I having asked about being in an area where these type cars are not every other one, if the people don't have the "I'm better than you" or "I can't associate with you because you're not of the same social status as me", I definitely have no problem with living in these areas.
I don't care so much what they drive, it's the beforementioned attitude problem.

I still wouldn't live in Fairfield county though.

I've been to West Hartford and think it's beautiful!

I have to work on really looking at the rest of the areas that with recommendations from the nice people here and elsewhere to make a logical choice.
Don't be fooled by the attitude, some of the luxury car drivers are struggling to keep up the facade. I was behind a woman at the gas station, driving a BMW, wearing designer clothes and about to go to jail for pumping gas without paying first and all her credit cards declined.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:09 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I am from the Chicago area and not the NY Tri-State area, but I have spent some extended periods of time in the NY Tri-State region including Westchester County, just a stone's throw away from Fairfield County in Connecticut.
Hedge Funds? Moderator cut

deleted most of post-off topic-stick to the forums original post please.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-11-2007 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: totally off topic

Old 07-11-2007, 07:40 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsong765 View Post
Don't be fooled by the attitude, some of the luxury car drivers are struggling to keep up the facade. I was behind a woman at the gas station, driving a BMW, wearing designer clothes and about to go to jail for pumping gas without paying first and all her credit cards declined.
I totally agree. In many cases, the folks have the cars before the purchase the property. It's always interesting to see how soon after the Lexus and BMW get traded for a Kia and a Hyundai. Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying. The Kia and Hyundai makes are wonderful cars - they just stand out in the driveway of a $700,000+ property.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:44 AM

141 posts, read 227,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I totally agree. In many cases, the folks have the cars before the purchase the property. It's always interesting to see how soon after the Lexus and BMW get traded for a Kia and a Hyundai. Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying. The Kia and Hyundai makes are wonderful cars - they just stand out in the driveway of a $700,000+ property.

Wouldn't the $700,000+ property have a garage?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmonewman View Post
Wouldn't the $700,000+ property have a garage?
Hopefully, at least three (the new "standard"). Throughout the course of the day and especially weekends, not everyone parks his/her car in the garage if another trip out is inevitable.

Three of our five cars stay out permanently. My two Le Barons, 1962 and 1964, take up two of the three bays.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:42 AM

131 posts, read 659,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogieOrangeman View Post
I agree, assumptions about people can be very dangerous. It's the whole thing about judging a book by it's cover. Just because someone drives a nice BMW or Mercedes does not necessarily mean that they'll have an air about them.
I agree with you, but I think the OP was speaking in generalities. Of course not everyone that drives a BMW is a snob, but a person that drives a Honda is less apt to peer their nose down at you. (Not saying that they won't though, haha).

Old 07-11-2007, 11:10 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by untuchableface View Post
I agree with you, but I think the OP was speaking in generalities. Of course not everyone that drives a BMW is a snob, but a person that drives a Honda is less apt to peer their nose down at you. (Not saying that they won't though, haha).
But it seems more pronounced in the NYC metro region & suburbs where literally every second or third vehicle on the road is either a huge SUV (how do they afford gas for those things + the mortgage payment) or a BMW, Lexus or another pretentious luxury auto. When I worked in Westchester, I got teased because I only had a 2000 Nissan Sentra at the time (this was in 2003).

And it does seem coming from the NYC area, that people are very concerned (almost extremely obsessed) with what others think of them and always must wear the right designer clothes, drive the right car, even if it means going $50,000 in credit card debt.

Remember a car (and designer clothes) are depreciating assets. Spending a total of $45,000 for a $20,000 when you include interest + negative equity rolled over is not what I consider a smart investment but others do this just to impress others.

At least in this part of CT. you can get a decent starter home for $300,000 or less, whereas back in Queens or even in Stamford, $300,000 would barely buy you a studio condo.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 PM

109 posts, read 398,163 times
This qhole thread is a joke. It started by basing attitudes based on what cars people drive, and now people are ASSUMING that the people driving them cant afford them. Maybe people are in better shape than you. I have both and can afford them. I dont know anyone that has traded in a Mercedes for a Kia.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtpa View Post
This qhole thread is a joke. It started by basing attitudes based on what cars people drive, and now people are ASSUMING that the people driving them cant afford them. Maybe people are in better shape than you. I have both and can afford them. I dont know anyone that has traded in a Mercedes for a Kia.
Respectfully, I don't think this thread is any joke at all. You have to remember that there's alot of different scenarios when it comes to people's attitude, tastes, etc...

More power to you that you can afford those type of vehicles.

Also, yes I do believe that some people have to trade-in a Mercedes type vehicle for a Kia type vehicle so that they can pay other expenses incurred, unless one pays with a credit card and accumulates ALOT of debt which even that has a limit.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtpa View Post
Virtually anyone with a job can get a car loan (or lease). Do you think all these recent grads are making in the six figures to afford the high end Lexus, Mercedes, BMW's & expensive SUV's they are driving (this pertains more toward the NYC suburbs than here around Hartford).

I make over $80,000 a year so technically I can get approved for a Mercedes or BMW even if I put about $20,000 down, but it isn't someone I want. And, making in the 80K's as a single person isn't rich or anything above lower middle class even for this part of CT. For NYC, it is near poverty for one person.

Much of this chi chi wealth is an illusion based on super easy credit of the last 6 years. Thinking someone is in 'good financial shape' because they are driving an expensive import is an absolute croc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut