Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:54 AM

293 posts, read 782,119 times

Advertisements

When I'm on the highway and the speed limit is 65mph, why are there people going 55 in the fast lane?

Also, why do you speed up to get in front of others so you can then slow down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
That isn't exclusive to Connecticut...there are bad drivers everywhere. Having lived in a handful of states, I can say that CT is no better or worse than most other places (Florida during snowbird season has my vote for worst). You should be used to the bad drivers if you are from Mass. (I jest, obviously)!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:52 AM

56 posts, read 172,803 times
I just moved here to CT about a month ago and I have not notice people going slower then posted speeds. Seems for the most part they drive about the same as the state I moved from but I have noticed that when there is on coming traffic and a car is wanting to turn into a driveway or something when no light or sign is posted that other drivers go around the person waiting to cross over traffic and turn?? Just wondering is this legal here? It was not legal in my old home state that is why I ask? So far I wait until the person in front of me is able to make their turn and then I proceed on but I have gotten some angry looks because other drivers are now having to go around two cars.. should I be going around too??

Just thought I would ask

Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
That isn't exclusive to Connecticut...there are bad drivers everywhere. Having lived in a handful of states, I can say that CT is no better or worse than most other places (Florida during snowbird season has my vote for worst). You should be used to the bad drivers if you are from Mass. (I jest, obviously)!

Having come from MA I did not experience this phenomenon on such a large scale. Bear in mind that I mostly drive Rt 2 and sometimes 190/290 in the Worcester area.

Now that I live 20 mins south of Hartford and thus deal with 91, Rt 9, 84, etc. there is a larger volume of traffic.

Nevertheless, I find it mind-boggling that so many twits want to tie up the left-most lane and drive 10 miles below the posted speed limit. I thought people in the northeast were supposed to be educated, and that's downright retarded!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:26 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmary View Post
I have noticed that when there is on coming traffic and a car is wanting to turn into a driveway or something when no light or sign is posted that other drivers go around the person waiting to cross over traffic and turn?? Just wondering is this legal here?
It is legal here to pass a left-turning vehilce on the right as long as there is sufficent room on the roadway to pass the vehicle. Jay

Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Having lived/traveled to many states and countries, I can say with complete confidence that Connecticut drivers are among the worst in the nation. Incredibly selfish (that goes for the slow pokes driving in a lackadaisical manner, and the speed freaks). You rarely find anyone who drives 5 over, always uses their signal, and drives worry free.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:50 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
I always drive 10 mph over the posted limit, even if I'm in the left lane and it's pissing someone off behind me. I get flicked off all the time and simply don't care. They dont own the road; screw them. I have already gotten two speeding tickets for going 15 over the limit and don't want another one. Many highways in CT only have speed limits of 55 still (i.e. route 15, parts of route 2, route 3, I-91 and I-84 is only 55 mph between Farmington and Waterbury!). CT was the last state in the U.S. to even increase speed limits to 65. It's because our highways are very curvy, hilly, and often narrow, with tons of left exits, partial interchanges, and a bunch of crap. It's a mess.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I always drive 10 mph over the posted limit, even if I'm in the left lane and it's pissing someone off behind me. I get flicked off all the time and simply don't care. They dont own the road; screw them. I have already gotten two speeding tickets for going 15 over the limit and don't want another one.
I agree with you - if you are passing people in the right lane. If there is nobody in the right lane then you have to keep right. You can get a ticket for hanging in the left lane.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 AM

I typically do 5-10mph over the speed limit, depending on the road, conditions, traffic, etc. Most speed limits are kept below what is "safe and reasonable" to increase revenue from ticketing.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:02 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,182 times
It's amazing to see how much congestion one bad left lane driver can create on the two-lane interstates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut