U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,496,605 times
It's just not getting any better.
Two candidates claimed that the wrong replacement ballots were delivered to a polling place, leaving their names of the ballots in their own district...

...Pia said 14 people voted on a ballot that didn't include his name. State Rep. Auden Grogins voiced a similar complaint to Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz, who said that in cases where these kinds of ballot errors have been confirmed, registrars have been fined by the State Elections Enforcement Commission.

Bridgeport Mayor Says Errors Of Judgment Made In Ballot Shortage - Courant.com
"State law is very clear that reverse 911 is an emergency notification system only. As a matter of fact, the law very clearly states that the system is to be used 'only in case of life-threatening emergencies.' Not by any stretch of the imagination can notifying Bridgeport voters that they had an extra two hours to vote be considered a life-threatening emergency, or really any kind of an emergency,” said Witkos.

Witkos said that issues complicated by the fact that residents in some areas of Bridgeport were not notified via the reverse 911 system of the extended voting hours.
Use Of Election Day Reverse 911 Scrutinized - Politics News Story - WFSB Hartford

Freakin Banana Republic...

Last edited by JViello; 11-04-2010 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Because I can't spell "banana"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:28 PM

2,102 posts, read 5,006,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Where the hell did that push come from? The legislature?
Bush #43 as part of HAVA (Help America Vote Act): Help America Vote Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2010, 12:31 PM

2,102 posts, read 5,006,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Two candidates claimed that the wrong replacement ballots were delivered to a polling place, leaving their names of the ballots in their own district...
If this is true, then these voters voted for General Assemblymen that aren't in their districts!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:33 PM

8,156 posts, read 12,496,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
Bush #43 as part of HAVA (Help America Vote Act): Help America Vote Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 PM

6,955 posts, read 4,644,076 times
Ok this is getting ridiculous. Bysieicz just announce the results from Bridgeport are still not counted. Absurd, unacceptable, and unfair to both candidates.

The state needs to take over Bridgeport balloting in the future to insure that people are not disenfranchised.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 21,781,482 times
You forget that because they photocopied ballots, many must be o****ed by hand. Any idea how long it takes to count thousands of ballots by hand? I would give them until tomorrow. Jay

Old 11-04-2010, 02:34 PM

5,770 posts, read 4,386,098 times
I just have a feeling no matter how this turns out, Malloy will be the winner. God forbid if my candidate wins in CT!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:36 PM

6,955 posts, read 4,644,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You forget that because they photocopied ballots, many must be o****ed by hand. Any idea how long it takes to count thousands of ballots by hand? I would give them until tomorrow. Jay
I guess this is true. It just doesn't seem like it should be necessary with current available technology. I'm pretty sure I could program a cheap, secure, easy to use voting machine that tabulated results immediately.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:38 PM

11,753 posts, read 11,908,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Jay, that's no way to refer to Susan!

Heh - I think that was supposed to be "Counted".

Old 11-04-2010, 02:45 PM

544 posts, read 558,821 times
The system is not supposed to tally one ballot with two votes for Malloy (Dem and Working Families) as two votes. In fact this is an "overvote" and the whole ballot is invalid.

If this is in fact being counted as two votes in Bridgeport or any other town, this is a much bigger problem than Bysiewicz' other incompetent actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut