U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,779 times

Advertisements

We're currently in N. Westchester, two elementary age kids, looking to move somewhere to lower our costs (the taxes in Westchester are just insane) -- we love Ridgefield's downtown, we've seen a few houses in our general price range ($400-$600K) that seem okay. Wondering what the people are like, and a little worried that the excellent-sounding schools might be hyper-competitive. We're not the type to over-schedule our kids and, while they're both bright, we're not intent on pushing them too much, at least not at this age. Will we feel out-of-place or is Ridgefield a generally laid-back school community? Any insights into what the overall gestalt of the place? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,112,732 times
I have a couple of acquaintances that live in Ridgefield and they are very laid back; they both have kids and I have never heard them mention anything strange about their children's homework/extracurricular schedules. Ridgefield is a very quaint town and has a strong sense of community. Even if you do not feel comfortable enrolling your children in tons of activities, I would bet that your children will have a small number of close friends because Ridgefield is tiny and well connected. However, you should take your commute into strong consideration. One of my friends who lives in Ridgefield commutes to Stamford a few days a week and thinks that the drive is a living hell.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
I have driven through it and was thoroughly impressed. Beautiful town.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM

673 posts, read 1,290,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I have a couple of acquaintances that live in Ridgefield and they are very laid back; they both have kids and I have never heard them mention anything strange about their children's homework/extracurricular schedules. Ridgefield is a very quaint town and has a strong sense of community. Even if you do not feel comfortable enrolling your children in tons of activities, I would bet that your children will have a small number of close friends because Ridgefield is tiny and well connected. However, you should take your commute into strong consideration. One of my friends who lives in Ridgefield commutes to Stamford a few days a week and thinks that the drive is a living hell.
why not take the train?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:30 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,112,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
why not take the train?
Good question. I just checked the Branchville to Stamford schedule and it appears that the odd schedule of the Branchville train would mean that the train is less convenient than driving. To get to a class at 7 PM in Stamford, one would have to get on a departing train at 5:30 in Branchville, arrive at 6:30, then spend 20-30 min. walking to the school. Driving in during rush hour means one could leave closer to 6 and not have to walk at all.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 PM

673 posts, read 1,290,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Good question. I just checked the Branchville to Stamford schedule and it appears that the odd schedule of the Branchville train would mean that the train is less convenient than driving. To get to a class at 7 PM in Stamford, one would have to get on a departing train at 5:30 in Branchville, arrive at 6:30, then spend 20-30 min. walking to the school. Driving in during rush hour means one could leave closer to 6 and not have to walk at all.
That makes sense now. If one has to walk 20-30mins from Stamford station again, he is better off driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or