U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 01:01 PM

23 posts, read 24,667 times
Default Taking the train to NYC

My wife and I are planning to take the train in to New York for a weekend day next month. We live in West Hartford, and I'd like to know which train station - and which line - makes the most sense for getting to downtown Manhattan (presumably either Grand Central or Penn). Our goal is to get to the city as early as possible and leave, realistically, as late as possible. It seems like we have two realistic choices, since Metro North appears to be much cheaper than Amtrak - leave from Waterbury and switch trains in Bridgeport (~10 minute layover) or go direct from New Haven. My questions are (1) Is there a clear, obvious "better" choice of these two? and (2) Is one noticeably safer than the other, given our intended return around midnight on a Saturday?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM

6,751 posts, read 4,428,549 times
I'd go to New Haven. I make the trip from New Haven to Grand Central all the time. The New Haven train station is safe, and if you get there early, has ample parking. You will find much better service from New Haven than from Waterbury. Also it's a shorter trip. When you arrive at the New Haven station (if you're in the early AM) park in the garage adjacent to the station. Walk in to the station building and purchase round trip tickets from the machine. Then look up at the monitor and follow the signs to your track. Almost all Metro-North trains from New Haven end up in Manhattan, so it's hard to make a mistake. Getting on the main line in New Haven vs. Bridgeport will assure you a seat.

Believe it or not I have caught the train in Bridgeport only to have to stand all the way to Manhattan.

Have fun. More people should make the trip you are making more often!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:19 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,812,102 times
Personally I'd stick with MetroNorth. I've been using them 10 years for numerous trips into the city and I've never had a problem. They're reliable and more moderately priced than Amtrak. Plus it takes you into beautiful Grand Central Station - that alone makes it worth using, whereas if you took Amtrak it drops you off in PennStation which IMO is kinda dingy and dumpy.

I would just drive down either to New Haven or Stamford, park the car and take the train right into GCC. From WH artford to New Haven you're looking at roughly a 45 minute drive. Stamford is an option is well and it has more frequent departures (at lower fees) but it's also a further drive. Both have plenty of parking, so that shouldn't be an issue, and both are direct routes without any layovers.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 11-12-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 02:36 PM

13,838 posts, read 21,172,860 times
There are more trains to New Haven than Waterbury. They start earlier and end later so it wold be the best for you. Jay

Old 11-12-2010, 05:29 PM

220 posts, read 281,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Getting on the main line in New Haven vs. Bridgeport will assure you a seat.
I second this - almost every time I take the train it is difficult for people getting on at Bridgeport and Fairfield to get seats, particularly seats that are together. While it's a longer journey from New Haven (meaning a longer time to sit down), I've never been disappointed once I see everyone standing later on in the ride.

You'll be fine with safety in New Haven as long as you're in the main garage. There is additional parking about three blocks away from the main station, but I wouldn't want to walk over there at midnight. You shouldn't have difficulty getting a spot in the main garage if you arrive early enough on the weekend.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM

743 posts, read 760,353 times
Ditto on the new haven recommendation. I've travelled from here many times and it's well lit and safe to park in the garage. The station is open 24 hours and has security/parking attendants. Also since most trains originate and end in New Haven you don't have to be too picky on your time coming back like you would if you parked at some of the smaller stations.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

387 posts, read 288,928 times
I always drive to the Fairfield station and get on, since the parking is free on nights and weekend and I've never felt unsafe there. It's a busy enough station that there are always a dozen or more people getting off. It's about 20 minutes less of a train ride than going all the way to New Haven.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:36 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,432,651 times
Ditto regarding New Haven. Just take the Metro North right into Manhattan.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 429 times
What time does the lot fill up at the main garage in New Haven?

Old 05-18-2014, 06:24 AM

13,948 posts, read 11,334,718 times
I too think that taking the Metro North from New Haven is the best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut