Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,787 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate to CT in 2011 and we have given our daughter a choice--- stay here in CA to go to college, or move with us to the east coast (I'm hoping she will go with us).
We want to give her the option of four schools on both coasts to consider. She will most likely go to a state school because she is not sure of what she wants to study and we already have a daughter in a state university here in CA and a private university here. Lots of college expenses!
She is a good student, but not in any honors or AP classes, as her sister was. I don't think private school is the way to go with her. What are some state schools I should have her explore in CT? We will most likely settle in Fairfield although she probably won't want to live at home. She doesn't want to be in the middle of nowhere and would like to be somewhat close to a big city.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
There are three state colleges ( universities ) that are within easy enough reach to Fairfield..

They are Southern CT State University in New Haven, Western CT in Danbury and Central CT in New Britain.

Southern & Western are closest to you.

In addition, the University of Connecticut , which has its main campus out in Storrs in eastern CT, has satellite branches in Waterbury, Torrington and Hartford. Storrs has varied degree programs. The other three noted have more limited fields of study. But there may be something that would interest your daughter. They all offer general business classes, etc.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
UConn also has a campus in Stamford, which from a lot of personal experience is about 25 minutes by train from Fairfield. University of Connecticut --- Stamford

I'm graduating there in December and really I'm very glad I went.

Fairfield itself (the town of, not too sure if you're referring to Fairfield County as a whole) is great to settle in. Not quite "middle of nowhere." There are two private universities here, has a walkable and often lively town centre, and close to Stamford, Bridgeport (although not everyone's taste), New Haven which are the three of the four biggest cities in CT. Hour from NYC just about.

Best of luck though!

~Cheers

Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I agree with the recommendation about Western Connecticut State, Southern Connecticut State and Central Connecticut State Universities as well as UConn's Stamford branches. These would be the best choice. Another option is to take course a our Community Colleges which are excellent to being at until the person finds themselves. Housatonic Community College in Bridgeport or Gateway Community College in New Haven are very good to take courses and get a feel for college life. Jay

Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with the recommendation about Western Connecticut State, Southern Connecticut State and Central Connecticut State Universities as well as UConn's Stamford branches. These would be the best choice. Another option is to take course a our Community Colleges which are excellent to being at until the person finds themselves. Housatonic Community College in Bridgeport or Gateway Community College in New Haven are very good to take courses and get a feel for college life. Jay
There's a community college in Norwalk as well. Many of the credits earned in the Community Colleges can transfer to any of the state schools (UConn, Community College System, and the Connecticut State University System) and some private schools if the student pays attention. They are a good option if the student is very committed and takes courses that are able to transfer.

~Cheers

Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM

181 posts, read 905,897 times
One thing to double check would be the residency status that would apply to your D. You don't mention how long you will be in CT before the college admission cycle is in effect, but if she will not will not achieve in state status for her freshman year, you should consider that in your decision making process, unless finances are not an obstacle.

Connecticut State Residency Statutes :: Undergraduate Admissions :: University of Connecticut (http://admissions.uconn.edu/apply/residency_statute.php - broken link)

Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,787 times
Thanks for all the great advice. I made the mistake of saying we will be relocating in 2011. We actually won't be able to leave CA until 2012 when she graduates. Wishful thinking I guess.
We are really interested in settling in Fairfield, the town, which I realize is in Fairfield County. My in-laws live in Stratford so that is a possiblity as well.
I have already looked into the residency issue. Basically she will be considered an "out of state" student until we are there for a year. Oh well, no way around that.
I am going to look at all the schools mentioned and hopefully we will get back there to visit the ones she is interested in. Thanks again CT people!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I made the mistake of saying we will be relocating in 2011. We actually won't be able to leave CA until 2012 when she graduates. Wishful thinking I guess.
We are really interested in settling in Fairfield, the town, which I realize is in Fairfield County. My in-laws live in Stratford so that is a possiblity as well.
I have already looked into the residency issue. Basically she will be considered an "out of state" student until we are there for a year. Oh well, no way around that.
I am going to look at all the schools mentioned and hopefully we will get back there to visit the ones she is interested in. Thanks again CT people!
Good luck. Fairfield is a wonderful town, if that's where you decide to go.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:49 AM

28 posts, read 91,000 times
you can opt for any college like
Southern CT State University in New Haven
University of Connecticut --- Stamford

Well I know about these two, thats why suggested you only these

Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,444 times
Default Universities

There are also other schools: University of New Haven, Yale, Wesleyan, Connecticut College, Trinity College (Hartford) and schools in Mass., RI and NY. SUNY Purchase is in Westchester, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut