U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 12:37 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,954,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
HeadedWest,

More than half of undocumented workers file tax returns to the Federal Government. In their own name.
How do they get Social Security numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 12:39 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,954,950 times
Quote:
I'm really not convinced that there is an "anchor baby" epidemic.
I take it you haven't lived in a border state.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 AM

8,156 posts, read 13,084,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I take it you haven't lived in a border state.

Although we are a border state in regard to NY escapees. lol

Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 AM

83 posts, read 55,830 times
I'm probably more left-wing than the majority of the posters here. Having said that, a few years ago I went with my young son to his doctor's office for a flu shot. Upon arrival we were informed that the office only had vaccines for children with "state cards." At first I thought they were kidding, they weren't...... it was a watershed event for me. We moved to another doctor's office and received the flu shot but it wasn't easy and I felt hassled for having private health insurance.

I certainly want everyone to have opportunity and healthcare, especially children. But my son has to have it too. What it boils down to is that I would be livid if an illlegal alien was to take a spot in college away from my son. I just say what most people honestly think.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:40 AM

715 posts, read 612,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
How do they get Social Security numbers?
They don't need an SS number. And no, I haven't lived in a boarder state. But that said I've never been real close to a star, but I know a lot of facts about their chemistry and physics. Since the "anchor-baby" concept only really comes around tight primary matches and then is quickly abandoned by most general elections I'm not concerned and have a pretty good idea why they use that term.

Above all that: how is that the kid's fault?

~Cheers

Old 11-22-2010, 10:42 AM

8,156 posts, read 13,084,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
No matter what you think the reason was, the letter of the law is quite clear: if you're born here, you're a US citizen. The line about "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof" was meant to provide for the children of ambassadors, but it doesn't matter, because the law as written unambiguously provides jus soli for anyone who's born here. There's no need to speculate about intent, because it's irrelevant -- the law is quite straightforward.

I find it amusing that in one paragraph you're going on about how bad it is to try to interpret the laws and understand their intent, and in the next paragraph you're invoking intent to justify your case. The "black and white" simply doesn't support your stance; what you want to see isn't there, regardless of the legislators' intent. As I said before: if you don't like the way things are, amend the Constitution.
I find it funny that you are using the law to protect those who are breaking the law.

Is one protected by the "law" while breaking it? That is the fudemental difference. If someone came here LEGALLY on vacation etc and had a child, yes I believe they would have citizenship or dual citizenship. However, when someone comes here ILLEGALLY just for the sake of having a child, how can the law now protect them in the process? How can they be granted rights when they are not supposed to be here in the first place?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:43 AM

12,055 posts, read 12,836,555 times
Quote:
Above all that: how is that the kid's fault?
Above that, how is that OUR fault, and why are WE being penalized for it?

Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 AM

7,221 posts, read 5,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I find it funny that you are using the law to protect those who are breaking the law.
So to be consistent you must also find it funny that we have legal arrests, grand juries, warrants, trials, miranda rights, appeals, juries, etc. All of these are written in to law and, at least partially, protect those who are breaking the law.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:27 AM

715 posts, read 612,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Above that, how is that OUR fault, and why are WE being penalized for it?
If they are paying their taxes, which the vast majority are, then why should they pay for your just general dislike of their status?

~Cheers

Old 11-22-2010, 11:39 AM

12,055 posts, read 12,836,555 times
Quote:
If they are paying their taxes, which the vast majority are, then why should they pay for your just general dislike of their status?

~Cheers
The "vast majority"? Last time I checked, half or "just over half" as you suggested, isn't "vast majority". You provided a Wiki source (awful), so I'd be willing to bet that that vast majority DO NOT pay taxes.

I have yet to see any factual evidence that shows the vast majority are contributing to our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut