Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:16 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Why can't we just make them legal? I can never understand that.....For the tax revenue it would bring it, wouldn't it be worth it? Everyone would win...right?

I don't care if more people come to the country, just allow them to be just as equal as me when working, going to school, paying taxes, purchasing items, etc.

Who knows though...maybe I'm missing a big part of it, who knows with this government.

Its not us, it's them.. THEY have to be the ones to WANT to become a LEGAL immigrant/citizen. Unfortunately,. most of them are smart enough to know that you have MORE rights in the US as an illegal, so where is the motivtaion?. SAD BUT TRUE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 08:23 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Its not us, it's them.. THEY have to be the ones to WANT to become a LEGAL immigrant/citizen. Unfortunately,. most of them are smart enough to know that you have MORE rights in the US as an illegal, so where is the motivtaion?. SAD BUT TRUE...
Can you explain what RIGHTS an illegal alien has that a citizen doesn't? YOu claimed that an alien has MORE rights. So what are they?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,458,855 times
"Why wouldn't we legalize them, and then they can live happily ever after doing exactly what every other U.S citizen does to survive?"

Do you have any idea what this would do to our standard of living? Tell me how much it has improved in the past 30+ years with a controlled immigration system? Immigrants work for far less than most Americans would. Service jobs, manufacturing, all jobs that require little more than a HS diploma (if that) are going to go to the lowest bidder.

Also don't forget that you then have to bring them into social security and medicare. Most of these people, even once they are legal, will make so little that they still won't pay taxes.

And once you legalize them all, the next batch will come. Like I said earlier, they won't stop coming until we enfore our immigration laws and take all benefits away, or our standard of living is no better than theirs. So, you can't blame the government for a declining middle class while at the same time demanding that we legalize millions of workers that will work for next to nothing.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Can you explain what RIGHTS an illegal alien has that a citizen doesn't? YOu claimed that an alien has MORE rights. So what are they?
Ask the two border patrol *officers* who spent years in jail while the illegal alien, drug smuggler who was running across our border is free.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Wouldn't that be nice? Recently I was with my son at his pediatrician's office, and a couple walked in the door with their baby. They asked if their baby could seen for free because they were not American citizens. The receptionist said yes, as long as they didn't have social security numbers. Meanwhile, we are going broke trying to pay for our expensive healthcare with it's $10,000.00 annual deductible. People who are not American citizens get treated better in this country than honest, tax-paying citizens.

And as for college tuition, I know of one person attending a University and getting a tuition break because he's not an American citizen. I'm not sure how I feel about that...he's here legally, but I just don't understand WHY he's getting a break on his tuition.

Hows that for one??
also Official Document Shows Danbury Hospital In CT Paid $4 Million For Illegal Alien Care In Q1 & Q2 2006 : Diggers Realm

Citizens get turned away from ER's for not having insurance.. Not if you're here illegally though.

IT amazes me how anyone can spend so much energy defending those that BREAK THE LAW.. If they broke the law to get into the country, a pretty major law and undertaking btw, what OTHER laws are they capable of breaking?? Do we REALLY need to illegaly "import" law breakers?? I think we have enough, thank you.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Ask the two border patrol *officers* who spent years in jail while the illegal alien, drug smuggler who was running across our border is free.
+1 ridiculous... like I said earlier, SAD BUT True, illegals have more rights and benefits in the US than citizens.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I blame that one on Bush, he had the opportunity to get those guys out and did nothing. Thats what you get for defending your country on the front lines.

My Bad...on his LAST day in office he commuted their sentences. This, after they spent a considerable amount of time already in prison. They never should have gone to prison in the first place.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 AM

361 posts, read 385,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Hi mLassoff,

First, mLassoff I generally agree with your arguments but I have to disagree with you on this one. Secondly, LRP I'm not trying to speak for you I just thought maybe there was different way of expressing your thought.

I think the frustration that LRP (and many others) discuss is not RIGHTS as in constitutional rights but RIGHTS as in government entitlements. When I was single it was easy to be cavalier with how I thought resources should be allocated. But now with a family my views have shifted 180 degrees.

The fact is if you are an illegal alien you are "entitled" to more government subsidies then a married family who happens to work both their butts off.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,185,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Citizens get turned away from ER's for not having insurance.. Not if you're here illegally though.
I don't believe you. Mostly because it's illegal to turn anyone away from the ER if they are having an immediate emergency. They aren't even allowed how the patients are going to pay before treatment.

And coming here illegally is not indicative of other laws they may or may not break. Most of the studies show illegal immigrants are less likely to commit serious crime (although evidence if they do commit a crime it is serious). You're making a heck of a claim, please show real peer-reviewed sociological or criminological papers irrefutably going against what is generally accepted consensus.

~Cheers

Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I don't believe you. Mostly because it's illegal to turn anyone away from the ER if they are having an immediate emergency. They aren't even allowed how the patients are going to pay before treatment.

And coming here illegally is not indicative of other laws they may or may not break. Most of the studies show illegal immigrants are less likely to commit serious crime (although evidence if they do commit a crime it is serious). You're making a heck of a claim, please show real peer-reviewed sociological or criminological papers irrefutably going against what is generally accepted consensus.

~Cheers
Good luck keeping track of accurate numbers regarding illegals, as many, from personal experience avoid ANY kind of data collection.. Imagine THAT.. duhh..Besides, I don't support ANY breaking of imigration or security laws, like you seem to be OK with. Wonder what else is sneaking in along with illegal immigrants. But there's nothing harmful that can come of that illegal activity, is there??

And really, spending all the time and effort it takes to break a major imigration/security law is NOT indicative of other laws they MAY break. You should spend more time along the borders where these illegals tresspass, take down fences, and otherwise cause problems for hard working farmers, or begin there life of crime in the cities. I don't need ANY "real peer-reviewed sociological or criminological papers" to tell me that. I see it with MY OWN EYES everyday in my travels. I also learn plenty about it from MANY of my LEGAL ,most of them mexican, friends/coworkers. They too complain of having many more benefits when they were ILLEGAL than when being citizens.

And you obviously haven't been to many different ER's if you believe what you posted is how they are actually operated. It must be a very different, and worry free, safe lil, yet smug, bubble that you live in with no illegals around commiting OTHER crimes BESIDES the one that got them into our country.

Also, how bout the thought that even ONE crime commited by an illegal is ONE too many..?? You seem fine with the FEW MAJOR crimes, that only a FEW illegals commit.. awesome.. tell that to their victims, or families of their victims..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut