Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 04:42 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times

Advertisements

The Windsor Locks P.D. apparently attempted to protect one of their cops who killed a 15 year old boy while reportedly driving drunk. Kudos to the state police for investigating and charging in a timely manner.

New Details Emerge In Crash That Killed Teen - Connecticut News Story - WFSB Hartford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 04:51 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
I'm wondering how they can convict the officer with manslaughter if it cannot be proven that he was under the influence. I don't believe the officers tried to cover anything up as his father turned over the investigation immediately. It's standard for police officers to refuse a blood test once at the hospital - union lawyers recommend it. I'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is.

As for a FST - unless he was falling all over the place, slurring his speech or alcohol was on his breath, a FST is not required. He was probably transported to the hospital before that was even an option.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:59 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times
A neighbor saw him, throw something into her yard, it was a broken budwiser bottle. He had alcohol in the car.

I am not an officer but don't these pass as reasons to give a breathelizer. Witnesses said he took 2 shots at suffield bar, and had a rum and coke. He was also drinking at a Uconn game.

If there was alcohol in the car and he appeared drunk, he probably should have been given a sobriety test.

I also think this is an awful tradgedy. But the circumstantial evidence looks REALLY BAD for the police department.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
I think if he was not arrested for driving under the influence on the spot theres little likelyhood nothing was being covered up. A boy is killed & the driver, who witnesses say was acting intoxicated, is not arrested?
When a lay person refuses a blood or breathalyzer test it does not excuse them from prosecution.
If their union actually recommends NOT to cooperate with LE I think it speaks volumes for why there probably shouldnt be a police union at all. It does nothing to bolster public confidence in their officers or departments and creates an avenue for support when in reality guys like this should be ostracized from the LE community.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:27 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
Well it is clear they are trying to protect their own. Never mind to protect an serve, this sleaze ball kills a kid and the very people that are paid off of our tax dollars were more concerned with trying to save the hide of a 24 year old cop than a 15 year old boy lying on the road dying. i really hope this cop gets what he deserves.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:48 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Police always demand additional respect-- a high standard, if you will-- as they risk their lives to protect us on a daily basis.

I'm fine with that, if their behavior in and out of uniform is held to the same higher standard that they demand...

I don't see that in this case. This is a tragedy. A child is dead and the first impulse of the WL PD was to protect their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut