Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 11:30 AM

26 posts, read 67,468 times

Advertisements

Family of 5, 3 children ages 10,7,5, will be moving back this summer. Our budget is $300. We would like to be within 1-1.5 hours from White Plains, preferably close to I84. We will be securing job before we move near where we decide to buy a house. We are not the office working type. My husband would like to find a job where he is constantly doing something. Tree trimming, working for a school district, institution. He is a physical worker and would like to be constantly moving. Our top priority is health insurance since we currently are small business owners and have to get our own, we have gone without for quite some time.

We currently live in Montgomery County, MD right outside Washington, DC and own a deli, which we are in the process of selling. We never felt like this was home. What we love about where we are now is the amount of green space, bike trails, outdoor activities. This would be a priority, as well as good schools. I am not looking for top rated schools, way to much stress. Though Montgomery County, MD has the best schools in MD, we aren't in those districts. We also need to be in a "neighborhood" that my kids can open the door and go out and play with the kids next door, which doesn't happen now. We want to be very involved in school, sports, art, music, community. We would like a main street but as long as there is a grocery store for quick runs we're good. I don't mind driving.

Any help would be great. Please, please, please don't read anything racial into what I have described as has been done in other posts, I don't have the time for it. For the record we are hard working Irish Catholics from the Bronx who were offered a great opportunity to own our own business. Loved it and now we're exhausted and want to concentrate on raising our kids and not worrying about our business.

Thank you to all...Happy Holidays

Brigid & Rob Gillette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 03:15 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,294,340 times
Within an hour or so to White Plains, about $300k, and more outdoorsy type of stuff.

Hello New Milford.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:48 PM

2,623 posts, read 7,396,550 times
New Milford offers a lot of nice homes in your price range. I would try to stay south of the green, because of the large amount of traffic crossing the bridge durning rush hours.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 PM

34,719 posts, read 56,524,406 times
I agree. New Milford would be good. You would not be far from White Plains and it has that outdoor feel you want. You might want to look into jobs first though. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut