Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:00 AM

34 posts, read 92,182 times

Advertisements

hi,
I believe, It not only the government policies which decides connecticut democracy or liberal nature of people, its also depend on the people who selected this government how they follow and select there living standards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I strongly disagree. Connecticut has become more conservative (or moderate). For the first time in decades, we have had an extremely close race for governorship and U.S. senate, to the point it was maknig national news. I mean, look how close our races have become:
  • Dick vs. Linda -- 55 - 44%
  • Attorney General -- 53 - 44%
  • Lembo vs. Orchulli -- 53 -- 43%
  • Nappier vs. Wright -- 54 - 44%
  • Malloy vs. Foley -- 50 - 49%
IMO for such a liberal state, this is rather closely split between Republicans and Democrats. And there were a handful of Republican victories for certain state representative seats. It wasn't 100% Democrat.

A true liberal state -- where it's nearly impossible for a Republican to win -- would be Vermont, Hawaii, DC and Massachusetts. It just so happens that the Democrat edges out as winner in most CT elections, but that's not to say the race wasn't very close. CT is one of the more conservative states in New England, along with ME and NH.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I strongly disagree. Connecticut has become more conservative (or moderate). For the first time in decades, we have had an extremely close race for governorship and U.S. senate, to the point it was maknig national news. I mean, look how close our races have become:
IMO for such a liberal state, this is rather closely split between Republicans and Democrats. And there were a handful of Republican victories for certain state representative seats. It wasn't 100% Democrat.

A true liberal state -- where it's nearly impossible for a Republican to win -- would be Vermont, Hawaii, DC and Massachusetts. It just so happens that the Democrat edges out as winner in most CT elections, but that's not to say the race wasn't very close. CT is one of the more conservative states in New England, along with ME and NH.
If you look at the most liberal states you have RI, MA and CA.

I think if you look at the states with the most spending problems you would rank CA, NY, NJ then maybe CT.

The thing about CT is that we are very wealthy, so our taxes pay for a lot. I don't think of us as Liberal because we don't have the huge bureaucracy that those 3 states do.... But we are getting dangerously close.

Mostly I think we are an independent state. Our income tax is about average, the property tax is extremely high.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
You must be referring to Cali. We haven't had a Democrat running this state since the 1980s. We already had this discussion in another topic as far as both parties being short-sighted and engaging in poor accounting practices and screwing the public.

Thing nobody seems to realize is there are Republican liberals too. We have no real conservative representation in CT period.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:58 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
When people say they want a place to raise a family etc and choose Conn. I don't think it's because we are liberal. I think it's because generally we mind our own business and that gives the impression we are liberal. I've been living in the same place now for 4 years and I still don't know my next door neighbors name. And that's how I like it.

One odd thing I noticed here in Conn. is that while many people do mind their own business, they have scanners in the basement or garage. I can't tell you how many houses I've visited here where people had scanners. I can't imagine how listening to police\fire\EMT broadcasts would be that exciting.

Since when do liberals mind their business? Generally theyre control freaks who distrust everyone who might be different from them and lobby for restrictions, codes & rules to keep us all in line with their notion of right.

I cant imagine not knowing my neighbors, why live in a neighborhood if you dont want any neighbors?

Anyway, theres no doubt about it, we have gotten much more liberal in my lifetime. With that has come skyrocketing taxes, exploding social programs & fiscal irresponsibility. Liberalism is a cancer on America.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:49 PM

91 posts, read 125,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

I agree that all those states are more liberal than us, but keep in mind that it was a Republican election year, and it's understandable that the margins would be closer than usual.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
If you look at the most liberal states you have RI, MA and CA.

I think if you look at the states with the most spending problems you would rank CA, NY, NJ then maybe CT.

The thing about CT is that we are very wealthy, so our taxes pay for a lot. I don't think of us as Liberal because we don't have the huge bureaucracy that those 3 states do.... But we are getting dangerously close.

Mostly I think we are an independent state. Our income tax is about average, the property tax is extremely high.
IMO CT is the worst state for spending problems, solely because it has the highest debt per capita in the nation. Such a tiny state with enormous debt is pathetic. I am 100% for when Rell vetoes bills because we cannot afford it.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:32 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Since when do liberals mind their business? Generally theyre control freaks who distrust everyone who might be different from them and lobby for restrictions, codes & rules to keep us all in line with their notion of right.
As opposed to the conservative control freaks who are hands off, unless, of course, they are telling you who you can and can't marry, when you should die if you're in a vegetative state and whether or not your actions are "moral."

See I can demonize the other side, too!

Ahem, anyway, regarding the OP's post, I find Connecticut to be exceedingly moderate. Yes, the state tends to vote Democrat, but I think in the liberal conservative continuum we fall right in the middle. I like that.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Thing nobody seems to realize is there are Republican liberals too. We have no real conservative representation in CT period.
This is where I disagree. First off, there are multiple types of conservatives. There's fiscal, economic, and social. So maybe many Republicans in Connecticut don't espouse Social Conservatism/Fiscal Liberalism/Economic Liberalism like the national party has in the past 40 years doesn't mean there isn't conservative representation. Himes, for one, is remarkably conservative fiscally.

To reiterate, I see Connecticut as socially liberal (do what you want without it damaging others) but more economic and fiscally prudent but that tries to have a somewhat decent safety net.

Besides, where do most of the hardened "conservatives" in the national stage come from? Usually, they come from states that balance their books without taxing their richest and getting very generous help from the Federal Government. Even with what could be substantial help, some 47 states are having trouble balancing the books.

Nep,

I'm trying to find where Connecticut is #1 in debt. Is that personal or public debt? Long or short term notes? From what I understand, public debt is a little higher than the national per capita, but average or low in percentage of the GSP, while personal debt to income is among the lowest. If you have new information I'd very much like to see it... most things I've found are dated by a few years

~Paz.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:37 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
One odd thing I noticed here in Conn. is that while many people do mind their own business, they have scanners in the basement or garage. I can't tell you how many houses I've visited here where people had scanners.
If you live in a town with no radio station and a weekly paper the scanner might be a way to be keep up on things happening in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut