Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM

82 posts, read 237,455 times

Advertisements

First off let me say that the purpose of this thread is not to start a right versus left or conservative vs liberal thread. I want to discuss the direction of this state. After the November election CT has gone completely Democrat in regards to the govenership, house and senate. How do you think this will play out for the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 12:33 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I think CT is becoming one of the most liberal states in the country. It's definitely in the top 3 (CA, MA, CT). I think people in the US, and expats, when looking at relocation options and/or places to raise their kids, are moving to where politics are in line with their beliefs. If you look at many threads on this forum, you'll see "looking for liberal town" or "looking for family oriented place to raise a family".

I'm not so sure this is a good thing because 25 years from now, we're going to have two countries: Connectifornia and Missitexas.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:07 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Connecticut has long been a state considered a Democratic stronghold. Has it become more left-leaning in the last 20-odd years? I think so. Like Cali many people and ethnic groups that are longtime supporters of Democrats have moved here, which IMO is a reason. Like Mass, people in CT are well-educated & usually these people are more socially liberal so thats also a reason.

IMO I feel we've gotten more liberal than California. People forget that as soon as you get beyond LA and SanFran Counties it's really different. Orange, Riverside and much of San Diego county are still really republican and conservative and especially Kern County. Its like the Bible belt of the west coast, no joke.

As far as where we'll be a few decades from now, I really don't know. I definitely see the cities and inner suburbs being more racially mixed (as some already are). And Kid, don't worry about the US being divided between Connectifornia and Missitexas - by then Texas will susseed.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
It's a cycle. It will probably turn back eventually, especially after the state goes bankrupt under liberal policies.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
It's a cycle. It will probably turn back eventually, especially after the state goes bankrupt under liberal policies.
You must be referring to Cali. We haven't had a Democrat running this state since the 1980s. We already had this discussion in another topic as far as both parties being short-sighted and engaging in poor accounting practices and screwing the public. You can be socially liberal while still being fiscally conservative - that's what has changed the landscape of this state. And if you think this state is fiscally liberal, you should read up on New York City's financial crisis of the '70s - all you need to know is they offered free tuition at city universities.

See for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex-iM...x=0&playnext=1

Old 12-01-2010, 08:15 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
When people say they want a place to raise a family etc and choose Conn. I don't think it's because we are liberal. I think it's because generally we mind our own business and that gives the impression we are liberal. I've been living in the same place now for 4 years and I still don't know my next door neighbors name. And that's how I like it.

One odd thing I noticed here in Conn. is that while many people do mind their own business, they have scanners in the basement or garage. I can't tell you how many houses I've visited here where people had scanners. I can't imagine how listening to police\fire\EMT broadcasts would be that exciting.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think CT is becoming one of the most liberal states in the country. It's definitely in the top 3 (CA, MA, CT). I think people in the US, and expats, when looking at relocation options and/or places to raise their kids, are moving to where politics are in line with their beliefs. If you look at many threads on this forum, you'll see "looking for liberal town" or "looking for family oriented place to raise a family".
What I'm getting out of this is that you think "looking for a family oriented place to raise a family" means a place in line with republican values, contrasted with those "looking for a liberal town"?

If so, that's pretty silly - there's just as many left-leaning families who would use that language.

There's a ridiculous belief that people think Democrat means 'anything goes'.. or not raising their children correctly or something.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
What I'm getting out of this is that you think "looking for a family oriented place to raise a family" means a place in line with republican values, contrasted with those "looking for a liberal town"?
Being on these boards for awhile, I've found that those who lean left often say "looking for a liberal town to raise a family" while those who are more traditional tend to ask for a "family oriented town". Might sound ridiculous to you, but it is what it is.

I think your accusation of me assuming liberals can't "raise their children correctly" is what's silly here. I know plenty of liberals who have raised wonderful families - no need to get defensive.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,183,879 times
I'm not convinced that Connecticut got more "liberal" from these last elections. Republicans here ran bad campaigns, and the party's State Central prized personal funding over credentials (Healy pressed for McMahon and Foley in the convention if I remember correctly, but I may have it wrong can't be fussed to find the articles again). And just because a lot of the national leaders in the Republican party took a hard tack right and frankly nasty doesn't mean we should change the location of the centre of the political spectrum.

Some of the races were real close, and if turnout here was like elsewhere in the country the story would've been much different. But honestly, I think the story will be the same as it has in Connecticut for a while: social liberalism, fairly economic and fiscal conservatism.

And I think "family oriented town" means just that. Decent schools, town sponsored activities for the kids, activities for the adults, etc etc. I never really got a political vibe from those kinds of requests.

~Cheers

Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 PM

91 posts, read 125,621 times
What's interesting (I just learned it relatively recently) that CT voted Republican for President from 1976-1988. Still not as much as California though, which voted Republican (for President) in almost every election during the Cold War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut