Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The fact that the partially quoted rant failed to include ANY reference to the victims is what's gruesome, disturbing, and finally, disappointing.

I suppose you prefer that this waste of life (and taxpayer dollars) should be allowed a warm pillow at night and cold orange juice in the morning, while having a full gym, access to television (with "good time"), a library and cigarettes after brutally torturing a well-respected family with morals.

Do you really care what the killer wants? Or are you just trying to smear that all over your mural of "anti-justice"? If he wanted to live and was sentenced to life, would you then be saying "well, that's what the killer wants, hope you're happy"? No, you wouldn't. It's not "mob mentality", it's ridding the world of two disgusting individuals who deserve it. If it makes you feel better, it's saving an unsuspecting prison guard from finding nothing but these guys' insides all over a cell - that's what will happen. Talk about gruesome.

I also suppose you were "disturbed" when Bin Laden was killed?
Well, that saved me 10 minutes of typing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I disagree with the death penalty as I dont trust the "state" with that much power over individuals. But I won't shed a tear for this scumbag, though I think life of hard labor would be better.
I'm pretty much of the same mindset. I don't trust the government to have the power to kill. But in cases where it's clear cut and there is no question...buh bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm not Christian, fervent or otherwise.
I'm guessing they have no idea what your username means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I don't know the law in Connecticut, but here in Ohio, if I catch someone inside my home, I can legally shoot them dead.
It depends. Gun laws in this state on the books is actually not that bad. The problem is there is a lot of vagueness in the laws in some places that gives wiggle room for inconsistency.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
I don't know the law in Connecticut, but here in Ohio, if I catch someone inside my home, I can legally shoot them dead.

Some of my dogs have been quite capable and inclined to severely hurt a stranger if they ever caught one sneaking into the house.....some...... not so much. But one thing they have all done......was bark when anyone even so much as approached the house.....and that is all I really want them to do.....because I do not want them to get hurt or killed defending me.

The only thing I want them to do is to alert me......then I will have time to grab my gun and defend us both quite adequately.

Whenever I hear of a child being snatched out of their own home in the middle of the night, I always think, if they had only had a dog.

I am willing to bet Elizabeth Smart would have never been abducted if there had been a yappy little dog barking its head off the second that cretin touched that window screen.
Ok the barking thing to alert... fine. I agree with that..Any yappy little dog could that.

But an alarm system would serve the same exact purpose and work MUCH BETTER....A dog can fall asleep just like a human. Also, dogs are unpredictable. You'd be suprised how friendly a dog can get when you hand him a doggy biscuit. Common thing burglars do. Really depends on the dog and the mood the dog is in though..again upredictable.

As far as a dog being able to hurt someone...of course a large dog can even kill someone, but not if the criminal has a gun! You can stop a bear with a gun, a criminal with a shotgun with buckshot or even a handgun and a dog doesn't stand a chance. You know that.

Having a gun and defending your family is great, but As far as legally shooting someone dead just because their in your house. WTF? You're telling me you'd shoot a burglar just because he was tring to steal your tv? Now we have the death penalty by citizen for stealing or even trespassing? What if it was one of your son's friends you didn't know who walked in and you forgot to lock the door???? Imagine that ****? I'd be inclined to say freeze first or say get the hell out of the house....I don't think I'd just open fire and ask questions later. What happened in this case goes way beyond a burglary, which is common place.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:35 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Having a gun and defending your family is great, but As far as legally shooting someone dead just because their in your house. WTF? You're telling me you'd shoot a burglar just because he was tring to steal your tv? Now we have the death penalty by citizen for stealing or even trespassing? What if it was one of your son's friends you didn't know who walked in and you forgot to lock the door???? Imagine that ****? I'd be inclined to say freeze first or say get the hell out of the house....I don't think I'd just open fire and ask questions later. What happened in this case goes way beyond a burglary, which is common place.

Agreed, sir.

Sometimes I think the issue is there's still a remaining chunk of frontier spirit inside a lot of people. From a lot of what I read on internet forums, what people really seem to find appealing is something akin to the wild west in the 19th century. Take care of you and yours, sleep with a shotgun by the bed, and the government stays out of the way.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:42 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
It must not be forgotten that a case like this is 1 in millions. You're more likely to be killed by one of your own family members. So yeah I don't think family should be blamed just because they didn't have an alarm system or a little yappy dog to alert them and a gun. Is having those things make you less likely to fall victim....sure. But let's not forget that the liklihood is greater that you'll be struck dead by lightning than a home invasion of innocent family non drug related where the entire family is murdered.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Having a gun and defending your family is great, but As far as legally shooting someone dead just because their in your house. WTF? You're telling me you'd shoot a burglar just because he was tring to steal your tv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post

Agreed, sir.

Sometimes I think the issue is there's still a remaining chunk of frontier spirit inside a lot of people. From a lot of what I read on internet forums, what people really seem to find appealing is something akin to the wild west in the 19th century. Take care of you and yours, sleep with a shotgun by the bed, and the government stays out of the way.
Yup, not having a firearm in the house worked out REAL well for the Petit family.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Hayes Officially Sentenced To Death For Connecticut Murders

(New Haven, CT) -- Steven Hayes has been sentenced to death for the gruesome murders of three people in a home invasion in Cheshire, Connecticut. A jury recommended last month that Hayes be executed by lethal injection for the 2007 killings of Jennifer Hawke-Petit and her two daughters. After the sentence, Hayes' defense attorney Thomas Ullman said his client showed no emotion in court because he has none.

But Ullman called the death sentence "barbaric." Hayes addressed the court and apologized for the attack. Hayes also says he is tortured by what happened and death will be a welcome relief.

Dr. William Petit, the husband and father of the victims, addressed the court and said the attack destroyed his life. Petit admitted he considered suicide many times since the loss of his family.
The TALK of Connecticut - News (http://talkofct.com/ARTICLE.PHP?contentId=7253230&featureGroupId=12295 - broken link)
sounds good to me

Old 09-29-2011, 04:51 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post

Agreed, sir.

Why must you throw around insults like "sick", "disgusting", "frontier spirit" and "mob mentality"? Do you know what would happen if you screamed "freeze" and THAT person had a gun? You're done.

Some opinions are so out of touch with reality that it's appalling. I'd love to think the world would be perfect without violence and punishment, but that's simply not the case. I'm a huge fan of education, but in cases like this, take your nose out of the book and get your butt on the streets. It's a wild world out there.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Ok the barking thing to alert... fine. I agree with that..Any yappy little dog could that.

But an alarm system would serve the same exact purpose and work MUCH BETTER....A dog can fall asleep just like a human. Also, dogs are unpredictable. You'd be suprised how friendly a dog can get when you hand him a doggy biscuit. Common thing burglars do. Really depends on the dog and the mood the dog is in though..again upredictable.

As far as a dog being able to hurt someone...of course a large dog can even kill someone, but not if the criminal has a gun! You can stop a bear with a gun, a criminal with a shotgun with buckshot or even a handgun and a dog doesn't stand a chance. You know that.

I don't know about alarm systems really. I have cats that like to sit in the windows, so I am always opening and closing them. I am always opening and closing doors too....to let the dog in and out throughout the day. How much of a PIA would it be to turn the alarm on and off a dozen times a day? Would my cats set the alarms off at the windows? And what about the cost? Can you get a system that isn't monitored? Don't want to get fined for setting the thing off myself....or everytime a cat sets it off.

As far as shooting an intruder......if they don't run out the door immediately after I confront them.....it's on. Am I supposed to ask them if they just want the TV or if they plan on hurting/raping me also.....and trust their answer? At best, you only have seconds to assess the situation.....and since the act of breaking into my home is in itself an act of aggression.....I am not about to give them the benefit of a doubt. Once I lose any initial advantage I have.....I won't get it back.

I don't have to worry about family members getting shot accidently....there are no family members. My doors are always locked. If someone is in my home.....they certainly didn't end up there by accident.....or with good intentions.

Criminals should get the message.....if you break into someone's home....you just may end up dead. I am not about to risk my life to give a criminal who has broken into my home the benefit of a doubt.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:41 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Criminals should get the message.....if you break into someone's home....you just may end up dead. I am not about to risk my life to give a criminal who has broken into my home the benefit of a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut