U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 01:09 PM

91 posts, read 159,518 times

Advertisements

Are these areas dangerous? I have posted before about our rent constraints and my need to live walking distance to Hartford Seminary. Still looking for a place I can rent sight unseen before our relocation.

Imlay: AnconaMgt

Owen: 10 Owen St (http://aniceapartment.com/html/10_owen_st.html - broken link)

What's the verdict? I am living with my husband, not alone, if that makes a difference. We are also Muslim (if that makes a difference) and I wear a scarf. But I often get greeted "salaam alaikum" all the time by otherwise street-looking fellows (perhaps they have me confused with Nation of Islam?) Ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 02:38 PM

234 posts, read 388,950 times
I know nothing about the management of either building, so can't help you there. In terms of walking to the Hartford seminary, 10 Owen St. would clearly be the much better choice, though. It is almost on top of the seminary; you would have about a two-block walk, or less. I wouldn't mind walking from the seminary to 39 Imlay during the day, but I wouldn't want to do so in the evening by myself. I used to drive along that route every evening and there are way too many people just hanging out on the street corners on Farmington Ave. without anything obvious to do.

I used to live about a block away from 10 Owen street and I really enjoyed the neighborhood. I found it to be friendly, diverse, and lively. The west end is generally considered one of the safest neighborhoods in Hartford. Judging by your loaded terminology ("ghetto", "street-looking fellows") I'm a bit concerned that you aren't really interested in living in a city, period, but areas near the seminary are probably going to be your best bet within Hartford. There are a lot of student-types living in the Clemens place apartments that are right next to 10 Owen St., so I think you will feel at home there. As a youngish female, I felt comfortable going for walks all over the west end in the evening, although I didn't usually do so very late at night.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:41 PM

91 posts, read 159,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytlh View Post
I know nothing about the management of either building, so can't help you there. In terms of walking to the Hartford seminary, 10 Owen St. would clearly be the much better choice, though. It is almost on top of the seminary; you would have about a two-block walk, or less. I wouldn't mind walking from the seminary to 39 Imlay during the day, but I wouldn't want to do so in the evening by myself. I used to drive along that route every evening and there are way too many people just hanging out on the street corners on Farmington Ave. without anything obvious to do.

I used to live about a block away from 10 Owen street and I really enjoyed the neighborhood. I found it to be friendly, diverse, and lively. The west end is generally considered one of the safest neighborhoods in Hartford. Judging by your loaded terminology ("ghetto", "street-looking fellows") I'm a bit concerned that you aren't really interested in living in a city, period, but areas near the seminary are probably going to be your best bet within Hartford. There are a lot of student-types living in the Clemens place apartments that are right next to 10 Owen St., so I think you will feel at home there. As a youngish female, I felt comfortable going for walks all over the west end in the evening, although I didn't usually do so very late at night.
Im interested in living in a city, just not in a ghetto for reasons that are obvious. I already live in a place with "street-looking fellows" who block the driveway with their cars and don't move....so yeah, I'm not a fan of their behavior.

Thanks for your assessment of Owen St.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM

234 posts, read 388,950 times
As long as you aren't inherently anti-city (and some people in Connecticut are, which is why I mentioned that) I think you will find the west end a great choice for studying at the seminary. The building you are looking at is also walking distance to a number of restaurants & some shops. You can find some images of Owen St. & nearby areas of Farmington on the Clemen's Place website. Also Google street view shows some of that area, though not Owen St. in particular.

I hope it works out well! I've had to rent from afar before and it is nerve-wracking.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:42 PM

10,819 posts, read 11,842,264 times
I would just take extra precaution and move to West Hartford.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,565,971 times
Like the other poster said, 10 Owen is several blocks closer to the Seminary. It's a pretty decent area for Hartford. I think that building is street parking only. That whole block -Owen, Dennison and Frederick- is tidy and decent.

There are other women in the area who wear head scarves. It's not unusual there. Also, some of the people who run some businesses in the area are Muslim also. Good luck with your move.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 AM

83 posts, read 184,816 times
I would definitely recommend Owen St. over Imlay. Even though the difference is only a few blocks, I feel that Owen street is a nicer area than Imlay by a large margin. As others have mentioned, it is much closer to the seminary as well. Generally speaking, the farther west you go the better off you will be, and in that area I would advise you stay north of Farmington avenue if possible (Owen being somewhat of an exception).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut