Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:13 PM

130 posts, read 310,356 times

Advertisements

This is such a great board - I feel like I've learned so much from everyone. When my husband first suggested a possible relocation I practically had a stroke. I'm feeling a lot calmer now after reading a number of the posts. Somehow I had it in my head that the area was so horribly expensive we'd be lucky to live in a shack.

We're considering a job offer which would involve relocation. Looks like the office will now be moving to the Stamford area. (I was earlier thinking Norwalk but looks like Stamford is going to be the selection.)

We are definitely not city folks - we'd like to live out a bit and don't mind an hour or so commute - that's what we have now.

I'd rather rent than buy, at least for the first couple of years. What towns should we look at? I did a Mapquest but that doesn't help much in estimating traffic and I understand traffic into Stamford can be pretty awful.

Thanks to all of you who take your time to respond to us "newbies". It is truly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 05:47 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Welcome to Connecticut Katwag - I am sure you and your husband will love it here. As I am sure you know, the Stamford area is expensive but there can be affordable places within an hour of it. Without knowing a price range you oculd afford it is difficult to make a suggestion. You say you are not city folk, so I assume that would leave out Stamford itself, Norwalk and Bridgeport, though each of these cities have some beautiful suburban style neighborhoods.

If price is not a concern, then I would suggest one of the great towns that surround Stamford: Darien, Greenwich or New Canaan. All great communities with a lot of family things to do. But you should note that $1 million will not buy a lot in any of them.

The next step out would be towns llike Westport, Weston, Wilton. All also expensive but very nice. Outside of those are Redding Ridgefield Easton and my personal favorite, Fairfield.

I should note that if your husbands office downtown, it would be possible to use MEtro-North Commuter Railroad line that runs between New Haven and New York City. I believe just about every train stops in Stamford so there will be lots of options of times to travel. If this is the case I would suggest sticking with one of the towns along that line. They are: Darien, Norwalk, Westport, Fairfield, Bridgeport, Stratford, Milford and NEw Haven. There are several smaller stations in between these towns (Noroton Heights, Rowayton, East norwalk, Greens Farms and Southport), but parking at these can be limited.

Another less expensive option that people are doing now is living in the towns east of New HAven (Branford, Guilford, Madison, Clinton, Westbrook and Old Saybrook. There is regular train service to New HAven from these towns on the Shoreline East trains, but they connect with trains that go into New york, so all commuters have to do is walk across a train platform to get the train to Stamford. As you can see your options are limitless. If you have any particular ideas of what you would like and what you could afford, let us know and we will help with a town. Jay

Old 07-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks, Jay. That gives me a great starting point.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:44 PM

572 posts, read 2,088,846 times
Jay brings up some good points.

If you're looking for some less expensive communities within an hour of Stamford, the Danbury area is pretty reasonable. The area includes Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, Redding, Ridgefield and Newtown. To commute to Stamford would require one to drive 84 to 684 or Route 7 (which can be clogged during rush hour) to 95.

Other areas that may be of interest to you might be the Valley (Ansonia, Derby, Shelton). Lots of very reasonable rents here (reasonable for Fairfield County) and about a 40 minute drive to Stamford without traffic. One would take Route 8 to 95 or the Merritt. The traffic headed into NYC and Stamford is bad, but all three towns are right on the Metro North line, so you can hop on the train right in town and switch in Bridgeport to get to Stamford.

If you're ready to buy a home and want to stay outside of the expensive lower Fairfield County market, Oxford and Southbury are nice towns with reasonable home prices. Many people from lower Fairfield are moving up there because of the cheap[er] housing. You can find a decent home (3 br, 2.5 baths on 1 acre) for $400k and up.

Good luck with your relocation and welcome to CT. I'm sure you will enjoy what the area has to offer.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:09 PM

KatWag - If Fairfield is too expensive for you, try Milford. Great small city with a lot of nice homes and great shopping, restaurants, parks and entertainment. Just a suggestion, Jay

Old 07-14-2007, 03:30 AM

73 posts, read 418,304 times
Milford is a town that is really becoming sought after east of Stamford. Fairfield offers many rental options. Northeast, Ridgefield is 25 minutes by car(overland avoiding Merritt or I95) and Danbury is 50 minutes out. Towards the west, towards NYC, it'll be just too expensive.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:35 PM

Thanks, everyone. I've been copying the names all the towns you've recommended to a Word document in preparation for our first visit in a few weeks. I really appreciate your help.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 15,283 times
Default Stamford Worker as well

KAt

Take it from me. I work in Stamford and I am looking to get a place down here as well. I currently live in north haven which is close to a 2 hour commute about 40 miles away. Get as close to stamford as you can, or take the train. Bethel Danbury and Southbury and towns like those are too far away. Stick to stamford, norwalk, or westport. you will be happier there.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:05 PM

151 posts, read 713,863 times
Been working-commuting from NY to Stamford most of my life and I have no idea how the regular working man is able to afford to live there. CT, particularly Fairfield county seems to be the most expensive area in the US to live and for what.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
Been working-commuting from NY to Stamford most of my life and I have no idea how the regular working man is able to afford to live there. CT, particularly Fairfield county seems to be the most expensive area in the US to live and for what.
"And for what"??? These towns are some of the most beautiful and desirable in the country. They have excellent schools; great shopping; wonderful restaurants; fabulous parks and beaches; wonderful family activities; beautiful homes; and they are a reasonable commuting distance to Manhattan. If you don't want to live the urban life (and personally I don't) and you have a family, these are wonderful places to live. Given the amount of money people are paying to live there, I think that most people agree. JMHO Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut