Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,726 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a Southernor likely moving to the New Haven area for residency. I have a small family (one 7 month old child and a wife). I need to live within about 30 minutes of New Haven. Do you have any recommendations on neighborhoods? I am looking for a safe, family-oriented area. If you have any advice, I would truly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 09:08 PM

44 posts, read 153,759 times
With the exception of a few neighborhoods here and there (mostly in New Haven proper), almost everything in the 30 min range is safe and family oriented. It would be easier to help if you gave some idea of price range, buy vs. rent, urban vs. out in the woods, activities or amenities that are really important to you, etc.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
I would also ask that you give what you expect to get for the amount you are willing to pay. Jay

Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 PM

257 posts, read 609,866 times
Like the others said, what preferences do you have. Are you looking for a home on an acre or more, a home in a subdivision, a condo, etc.

I can suggest near where I live, it's urban but woodsy at the same time and its coastal community. Branford, North Branford, Guilford, and Madison are great towns for metro New Haven.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 5,726 times
Hey yall, thank you for the reply. As I said I would like to be in a safe, family oriented area within 30 minutes of New Haven. I am looking to spend 400, with a minimum of 3 bedroom, 2 bath. My wife and I are hoping to live in a populated area. This does not have to be within the city proper but we would like to be able to see our neighbors from our window. We are coming from a medium-sized city, so we would prefer something similar: able to go get coffee on weekend mornings, eat at a variety of restaurants, access to daycares, playgrounds, etc. Thank you for recommendations.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
I would suggest you take a look at Milford. It is a nice suburban town, has a ton of shopping (Route 1/Boston Post Road has all the big box shopping you could want), has a nice little downtown, Metro North train station, and affordable housing.

I would also recommend North Haven or Hamden. They are off I-91 and border New Haven, has lots of shopping, but does lack the quaint downtown that many towns in CT have. Just be aware that the southern section of Hamden isn't the best.

Branford is also another nice town to look at with an attractive downtown. The only issue with Branford is that the nearest big box shopping is in Milford, over the Q Bridge which can have traffic issues. There is plenty of local shopping though for your everyday needs.

Other towns you might like close to shopping are Orange and even Stratford in Fairfield County. That said, Orange and Branford will likely be the most expensive, mostly because of the performance of their schools. You will find that towns like West Haven, Derby and East Haven are more affordable, but their public schools have some issues. West Haven's taxes are also incredibly high.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:56 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,885,111 times
For $400,000 you should be able to find a very nice home in a good town. towns I would consider are Milford, Orange, North Haven, Branford, Guilford and Madison. Since you are looking for a more urban type town, Milford might be a good choice. It is on Long Island Sound, has a train station and has some of the best shopping in the state. Neighboring Orange is a little less urban. North Haven is very suburban in character but still offers access to shopping. Branford, Guilford and Madison are a bit more small town in character but offer train service into New Haven and has most major shopping needs. Note though that these towns do not have major shopping malls or any big box type stores. For them you have to travel to Milford or up to Waterford. Still these are very charming and interesting towns and offer a great quality of life. Jay

Old 11-30-2010, 02:00 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,176,528 times
Hey Jay - great minds think alike.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:32 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,804,893 times
I am from Texas, and love it here in Milford (except for the high state taxes of course!).

Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,727 times
Currently there are some deals around as the $prices in Ct haven't really started back up yet. All Jays suggestions are good. I always stump for those willing go the 30 minutes north up routes 34, and or 63, & 67. You'll get more house and lawn, and maybe a newer home too for your efforts. With a little one to consider I'd look at age of home. Who wants to deal with the possibilites of lead paint, plumbing solder, drafty single pane windows, aging roofing, overly mature landscapes that need removing, etc etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut