Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:16 AM

86 posts, read 380,822 times

Advertisements

I'm in the accounting support field and am wondering where to look via online or otherwise for the Central and Eastern CT area.

I've looked in Careerbuilder, Monster, Hotjobs, Jobs in the Money, and Craigslist only to see a VERY "minute" amount of jobs listed and the newspapers are a joke - Is this indicative of the job market or am I missing something?

Also on the whole, are the employers there anxious to hire or do they drag their feet?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet View Post
I'm in the accounting support field and am wondering where to look via online or otherwise for the Central and Eastern CT area.

I've looked in Careerbuilder, Monster, Hotjobs, Jobs in the Money, and Craigslist only to see a VERY "minute" amount of jobs listed and the newspapers are a joke - Is this indicative of the job market or am I missing something?

Also on the whole, are the employers there anxious to hire or do they drag their feet?

Thanks so much.
This is the typical mid-year lull which seems to hit the accounting profession harder than other fields.

Could you elaborate on the desired accounting position? Sometimes, it's better to target specific companies in the area by going directly to their web sites and clicking on "Careers: Search Jobs."

Is your expertise in supporting a company that does Insurance, Financial Services, Manufacturing, Retail, etc?

And, you are right about the newspapers. Other than the Hartford Courant, the others (Meriden Record-Journal, Waterbury Republican-American, and New Haven Register) have very anemic classifieds. Keep trying monster.com and careerbuilders.com. For monster.com, try Connecticut-Hartford and Connecticut-New Haven as many jobs in between aren't listed under both cities.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I agree with Rich, the summer is a bit of a slow time for hiring with people going on vacation. It should pick up in September. I would forward your resume to as many of the local companies as possible even if they are not advertising. You never know who will be looking when. Good luck, Jay

Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
This is the typical mid-year lull which seems to hit the accounting profession harder than other fields.

Could you elaborate on the desired accounting position? Sometimes, it's better to target specific companies in the area by going directly to their web sites and clicking on "Careers: Search Jobs."

Is your expertise in supporting a company that does Insurance, Financial Services, Manufacturing, Retail, etc?

And, you are right about the newspapers. Other than the Hartford Courant, the others (Meriden Record-Journal, Waterbury Republican-American, and New Haven Register) have very anemic classifieds. Keep trying monster.com and careerbuilders.com. For monster.com, try Connecticut-Hartford and Connecticut-New Haven as many jobs in between aren't listed under both cities.
Thanks Rich Lee - I thought it was me. If this is the "norm" it can be a deal breaker if I'm going to possibly go through "hell" to find a job in CT. I'm more in the Bookkeeping end of accounting and it doesn't matter what a company does with my job title.

Thanks again!

Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree with Rich, the summer is a bit of a slow time for hiring with people going on vacation. It should pick up in September. I would forward your resume to as many of the local companies as possible even if they are not advertising. You never know who will be looking when. Good luck, Jay
I just wonder what the normal volume for job openings is in CT in my field minus the summer.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Thanks Rich Lee - I thought it was me. If this is the "norm" it can be a deal breaker if I'm going to possibly go through "hell" to find a job in CT. I'm more in the Bookkeeping end of accounting and it doesn't matter what a company does with my job title.

Thanks again!
There are plenty of jobs in CT - you won't go through hell. You just have to know how to look here.

Best bet is contact a head hunter or recruitment firm. All the larger companies here usually work with that type of avenue quiet a bit.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Thanks Rich Lee - I thought it was me. If this is the "norm" it can be a deal breaker if I'm going to possibly go through "hell" to find a job in CT. I'm more in the Bookkeeping end of the accounting and it doesn't matter what a company does with my job title.

Thanks again!
I wasn't thinking so much about your position's title as your background. My accounting experience was pretty much manufacturing-based with larger companies, and these types of companies would be where I'd focus my efforts.

At this point in the year, it is sometimes advantageous to try the temp-to-perm route. As was pointed out, many companies wait until September once vacations are over. However, just as many wait until January to see if they made their forecasts for the year.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I wasn't thinking so much about your position's title as your background. My accounting experience was pretty much manufacturing-based with larger companies, and these types of companies would be where I'd focus my efforts.

At this point in the year, it is sometimes advantageous to try the temp-to-perm route. As was pointed out, many companies wait until September once vacations are over. However, just as many wait until January to see if they made their forecasts for the year.
Manufacturing in itself is a joke here in the NYC area, but know what you meant about the company being manufacturing based. I see that I have to go about seeking a job differently than I'm accustomed of doing from in my area. In my current area they advertise alot more than in CT then from what you nice people have conveyed to me here.

I hope that I don't have to await till January.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
There are plenty of jobs in CT - you won't go through hell. You just have to know how to look here.

Best bet is contact a head hunter or recruitment firm. All the larger companies here usually work with that type of avenue quiet a bit.
Yep, I'll have to learn not to rely on the sources I've been utilizing as much as I have.

Good to hear that there are plenty of jobs in CT!

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Do any of you know where I can do an online search to find the names of companies in a certain geographical area in CT?

If so, that'll prove to be extremely valuable to me!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut