Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:33 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You can't say just because someone *might* be well off, that they should pay more than they have to because they can. That reminds me of an issue between two friends in college - one housemate expected the other to pay more in rent because they had a higher income. It doesn't work that way.

Times are tough, and everyone should look for the deals - including the rich.
Don't misunderstand me, I in no way think the rich SHOULD pay more because they can. My statement was more of a "just quit crabbing and pay an extra $10-20 to keep a local business healthy" It's the same thing when the local kids come around selling fund raiser crap that's 2/3 times overpriced. Eh, so what - I'm helping the local kids and "cause" out.

Crabbing over $10 for a tree is IMHO very short sighted. When said farm is gone and everyone is importing trees from eastbumbleburg everyone will complain. Some things are worth supporting. It's why I do my best to buy from local garden centers vs big box stores. The kid in the orange apron doesn't have a fraction of the knowledge our local landscape supplier does or the quality of product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 06:14 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Don't misunderstand me, I in no way think the rich SHOULD pay more because they can. My statement was more of a "just quit crabbing and pay an extra $10-20 to keep a local business healthy" It's the same thing when the local kids come around selling fund raiser crap that's 2/3 times overpriced. Eh, so what - I'm helping the local kids and "cause" out.
Now we might be getting off topic here but I think people need to wake up to realizing all donations dont actually make it into the hands of people who need it. Its a wake up call, but people are in a deep sleep and wont realize that.

One particular event was Katrina... I actually LMAO when I would be checking out at the supermarket and they would ask if I wanted to donate to the people affected by Katrina. I said to them #1. The funds will never get there. #2. I pay taxes already and thats what FEMA is for. #3. There will be scam artists who will make claims saying they were affected by the hurricane. #4. I work my arst off to make money, I pay my taxes and dont get federal help, so helping people who rely on government to live their lives and are lazy to get a job at the car wash place or McDonalds is completly ludircrous.

Give me $20 and I'll put it to good use rather than it going into the hands of some scum who wants society to work hard for them!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Now we might be getting off topic here but I think people need to wake up to realizing all donations dont actually make it into the hands of people who need it. Its a wake up call, but people are in a deep sleep and wont realize that.

One particular event was Katrina... I actually LMAO when I would be checking out at the supermarket and they would ask if I wanted to donate to the people affected by Katrina. I said to them #1. The funds will never get there. #2. I pay taxes already and thats what FEMA is for. #3. There will be scam artists who will make claims saying they were affected by the hurricane. #4. I work my arst off to make money, I pay my taxes and dont get federal help, so helping people who rely on government to live their lives and are lazy to get a job at the car wash place or McDonalds is completly ludircrous.

Give me $20 and I'll put it to good use rather than it going into the hands of some scum who wants society to work hard for them!
Why do you hate boy scouts, black people and the impoverished.

Read

Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Please get back to the topic of this thread. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Crabbing over $10 for a tree is IMHO very short sighted. When said farm is gone and everyone is importing trees from eastbumbleburg everyone will complain. Some things are worth supporting. It's why I do my best to buy from local garden centers vs big box stores. The kid in the orange apron doesn't have a fraction of the knowledge our local landscape supplier does or the quality of product.
Please note that I am nowhere near "rich" even though I live in Greenwich; I am only a few years out of college and I have very little disposable income--hence why I price shop. I would be supporting local businesses (i.e. Silverman's) by buying pre-cut, cheaper trees but cutting one's own tree (which, for reasons I still don't understand, is still more expensive than pre-cut at local nurseries) provides most of the joy in having a fresh Christmas tree in December. Thanks to the posters at the beginning of the thread that suggested ideas; it's a shame that prices have risen so dramatically in the past 2 years.

Since we're only a few days away from Christmas and I haven't found any cut-your-own locations that charge approx. $40, I'm going to save the money I would have used to buy a tree to pick up groceries for a big Christmas Eve dinner.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
If money is that tight, groceries should come first... We like real trees too, but we have a good fake so that that little extra expense $$ goes to presents.... And no vacuuming needles

Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,778 times
I forget the name of the farm, but theirs a place on Orchard Lane in Easton where we have chopped down our tree for the past 5 years for $40
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut