Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 32,872 times

Advertisements

Thanks once again for all your help.

Whats the best way to get out and meet people in Fairfield? I will be working during the day and my wife will be home while I am at the office and from Dec. she will have our newborn as company but what is the best way for her to get acquainted with other Fairfielders? I am guessing the Hospital we choose will put us in touch with Mothers and Toddlers groups but any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
There are a lot of ways to meet people. Most towns have a Newcomers Club that you can join to meet people. I am sure Fairfield does too. Other ways include attending different activities that interest you and your wife. If you belong to a church, that would be a good start. There are great libraries in town with different activiites too and there is a great YMCA in town with a lot of programs offered. You may even want to socialize with people you work with who live nearby. Also, go into local shops and talk with the people there. Since you are going to be new parents, attend classes related to babys. This could include local Lamaze classes or infant care classes. I am sure you will find friends. Jay

Old 07-17-2007, 06:51 AM

235 posts, read 783,399 times
Wow, Dusseldorf sounds like me a few months ago, except we finally settled in Stratford, after finding the homes there better value for our money. I work in Wilton too, and we had our baby three months ago in Bridgeport hospital, which has a brilliant Women's Care Center, arguably the best in the region alongside Yale New Haven. My wife found the best way to meet people was through the town library (which usually has events for new Moms) and the YMCA. Other than that, waving at the neighbours helps !

Old 07-17-2007, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 32,872 times
How is the commute to Wilton?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:11 AM

235 posts, read 783,399 times
I take the Merritt (CT-15) leaving around 6.20am - it takes me about 40 min on a good day - otherwise upto an hour, if things get really bad. Getting back around 4-5pm takes about 35-40 min. If there's an accident however, the Merritt can be a nightmare.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusseldorf_blue View Post
Thanks once again for all your help.

Whats the best way to get out and meet people in Fairfield? I will be working during the day and my wife will be home while I am at the office and from Dec. she will have our newborn as company but what is the best way for her to get acquainted with other Fairfielders? I am guessing the Hospital we choose will put us in touch with Mothers and Toddlers groups but any other suggestions?
I lived in Stratford for years and had a hard time meeting people, after I had my 2nd daughter I found the MOMS club (for me it was the Shelton chapter) and it was great. Here's a link to the Fairfield chapter.
MOMS Club of Fairfield, CT
Good luck with the move.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,336 times
Hi Jay,
There is a meat market off of exit 24 in Fairfield/Bridgeport that has Hungarian meats and other Hungarian products. I remember it being on Kings Highway, but could be wrong. Would you have an idea of the name?? Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:21 AM

Oh yes - My Hungarian family were regulars there. It was Drotos brothers. Unfortunately the brothers retired and sold the place to a New Jersey group. It is now called Gulosh. It is not as good. In fact, my family now drives to Broadbridge Avenue in Bridgeport now to buy their Hungarian meats. They will shop in this store occasionally when they need only certain things but for meat the head to Bridgeport. Not sure the name of that store but it is located opposite Treeland near Huntington Turnpike. Jay

Old 12-09-2007, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 7,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Oh yes - My Hungarian family were regulars there. It was Drotos brothers. Unfortunately the brothers retired and sold the place to a New Jersey group. It is now called Gulosh. It is not as good. In fact, my family now drives to Broadbridge Avenue in Bridgeport now to buy their Hungarian meats. They will shop in this store occasionally when they need only certain things but for meat the head to Bridgeport. Not sure the name of that store but it is located opposite Treeland near Huntington Turnpike. Jay
Just thought I'd let you know I found the shop in Bridgeport! It's Liscio's Meat Land and I went yesterday and stocked up on some great stuff. Could not get what I needed around here (New Canaan) or anywhere else close by, but they had everything, including smoked pork loin, smoked pork sausages and bulk sauerkraut! Thanks Jay

Old 12-09-2007, 03:07 PM

Glad to have helped. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut