U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:31 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,981,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
[b][color=navy]Priceless.
I'm all for weather events, but the fact that some will lose their life never escapes me. Perhaps you should volunteer as an EMT someday to see what you are getting so excited about...or at least understand this isn't a Disney ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
There's no point in shoveling until the wind dies down. My driveway has been cleared twice and it's covered because of the wind. Conditions are so bad that I'd have trouble making it to my corner. There's also no visibility.
Yea I just wait too. Then again, having a 1 ton turbo diesel truck I could clear town roads if need be. The only downside here is my back tires are no good as I tow a trailer for a living and they wear out 50%+ quicker. I ordered them a while ago, but apparently not in time.

Oh well, I've still got the snowblower so all is not lost. I really feel for the shovel guys. Some things are worth investing in if your drive is any substantial size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I left around 5:30 AM to drive my wife to work and turned around after driving about a mile on 95. I could not see anything in front of me and vehicles were driving right off the road due to the lack of visibility - not even spinning out.

Snow day.
They were trying to make my wife open her center (Even though corporate closed in MA) because bump on a log Rell won't declare a state of emergency. Someone finally pulled their head out of their XYZ at 7am and called it off.

I gotta call FBAM and see how their first snowstorm is going. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 AM

6,605 posts, read 8,258,899 times
Glad both I and my wife are off this week.....

Anyway, if you can stay home, do it. If you can't, stay safe. It's supposed to be near or above 40 (and sunny) mid-week on so we'll get through it (though we always do).

Cambium, not to get you excited or anything, but OKX has actually lowered the temps for the Saturday night into Sunday rain event and mentions possible snow mixing in......

Old 12-27-2010, 07:48 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,259,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm getting mixed information on whether or not it will be okay to drive tomorrow morning. I hear in Stamford and Danbury, police are ticketing drivers for being on the road until 9am. Can anyone confirm this? If so, we have to alter our morning schedule.

The local news stations are doing an awful job at updating us on info. I learned through newspaper websites that snow emergencies were in effect.
Left Greenwich to get to Stamford at 6:50 AM. Very few cars were on the road (2 SUVs and 2 state troopers.) The troopers didn't pull any of us over so I assume ticketing was not put into affect. Roads were very well plowed but a sheet of ice is lining the entire highway. Snow has now stopped in Stamford; roads should be manageable by 11 AM after salt and sand is scattered.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 AM

6,128 posts, read 9,148,422 times
we got a call at 7:30 from the town to tell everyone in bethel to not go out unless absolutly nessicary untill 11am so they have a chance to get the roads plowed.

our official town measure in is 18"

in my garden/driveway (i whent and shoveld for the dogs first thing) weve got alot of drifts, one of which is almost as tall at me and stands about 5 ft high once i cut into it. put theres plenty of areas in the 16-19" range througout the drive/garden.

dads going to have a blast breaking in his new snowblower on the driveway, but we have to hand shovel the path some of the garden (the snow is deeper than my dogs are tall lol) and a path to the shed. its very heavy snow but blowing is also going to be a big problem today if these winds keep up.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 AM

6,639 posts, read 5,054,090 times
I just spent 15 minutes cleaing snow behind my car, then attempted to drive to work and only made it 1 mile until my car got trapped in snow debris as I tried to enter Route 217. I said ********** and returned home and took the day off from work! Whatever...my manager is out today and half the department.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 AM

3,560 posts, read 3,168,110 times
Only about 4" - 5" on the ground along the eastern shore from Madison out to the CT River and on out towards New London. Seemed to be more of a light mixed precipitation event, with heavy snow never really materializing. Some light snow, rain, sleet.

The winds have been howling for the second day now however.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 AM

14,470 posts, read 22,949,089 times
I decided not to go in too. Just not worth it, even though we could get out easily. I am thinking of taking the kids to the movies this afternoon though just to get them (and myself) out. ANyway, hope everyone is alright. Jay

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 AM

12,041 posts, read 12,677,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
They were trying to make my wife open her center (Even though corporate closed in MA) because bump on a log Rell won't declare a state of emergency.
I was thinking the same. She was so inefficient during this whole thing.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 AM

1,753 posts, read 1,914,180 times
This turned out to be. No big deal for us in our little corner of Eastern CT...lots of wind and from the best I can tell, about 9in of snow. Piece O cake!

Old 12-27-2010, 11:49 AM

7,212 posts, read 5,042,606 times
I would estimate the final total in Vernon is about 8 inches. The winds are considerable however. Headed to Westport first thing tomorrow morning, but till then, I'm relaxing at home. Homestyle Mac and Cheese here I come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut