Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
You need to get out more. There are certainly gun shows in CT, CT was the gun making capitol of America & should be proud of that fact, instead most sweep that tidbit under the covers. We helped very much win every war the US has ever been because of our firearms legacy.
There are truck & car shows & events here too. There are two CT's, the one that exists in reality & the one people try to invent.

I live in Fairfield county, have for 34 years, I go to gun shows here, hunt here, shoot here, go to car, truck & bike shows here.

Testy, testy! I was merely saying that in my experience Confederate flags and guns and auto racing were not things that I associated with CT. If you enjoy those types of things, good for you - don't worry, no one's trying to take your guns away, good grief.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,425 times
^ For cripes sakes...let's all be intellectually honest here--we all know what that dang flag is intended to express. End this.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:34 AM

257 posts, read 610,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I repped you for this post, because of all those I've read here so far, yours made the most sense---and it perfectly captured the Southern attitude as well...

I am long past the time when seeing the rebel flag would have made me pause, and maybe even gotten a little upset...and my 'getting over it', so to speak, was helped greatly by actually LISTENING to many Southerners around me (including my parents, my maternal grandparents, and some of my neighbors here in SW Ohio, where I live now) and realizing that, to some folk, all the flag represents is an expression of pride in the Southern way of life, and not some purely racist emblem...

But I digress...one poster here said he sees flying the flag as some sort of 'expression of being a bada**'...really now? If he wants to emulate a 'bada**', then maybe he should pay more attention to the soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines, and coast guardsmen here and overseas, who every day fight for his right to fly his little 'bada**' flag...if you ask me, if ANYONE deserves to be called a bada**, in an extremely complimentary sense, it's them, not a bunch of people trying too hard to be cool...

Once again, though, thank you so much sir, for your very informative post
I agree with you.....I said it is a bad$$$ flag because well, it just appears that way lol. I just said that as one reason, that has nothing to do with what it stands for, to fly it. All I wanted to prove was that it isn't flown or shown to be racist.....

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
^ For cripes sakes...let's all be intellectually honest here--we all know what that dang flag is intended to express. End this.
LOL, seriously.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:51 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Okay...I Have No 'Beef' With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
I agree with you.....I said it is a bad$$$ flag because well, it just appears that way lol. I just said that as one reason, that has nothing to do with what it stands for, to fly it. All I wanted to prove was that it isn't flown or shown to be racist.....
And thank you for stating your case...I do believe you don't have any malicious intent for flying the flag...and as southernaturelover said, it's just an expression of pride in the South and it's way of life...

But here's the problem still, to me anyway...whether it's there in CT, or anywhere for that matter, there ARE still a group of folks who have co-opted the flag and, paying no attention to the history behind it, or the regional pride attached to it, use the flag purely as some sort of racist '*********!' banner...and those folks (to these old eyes, anyway) need to find a big ol' flat rock and crawl under it

Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Sounds like what happened in 2002 with WMDs.
Yup, people lack the balls to do the right thing without being lied to bt politicians. In this case however we should have went in to Iraq until Saddam was dead then came home. It was an entirely different type of situation. In our civil war we should have just let congress decide at the federal level & left the states alone. The most the feds were authorized to do was restrict interstate slave trades.

Quote:
Exactly, which is why the flag should be long gone as well. Fly the American flag.

Why? Because you dont like it? I see British flags, Cuban flags, Mexican Flags, Canadian flags & many more. No biggie.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Testy, testy! I was merely saying that in my experience Confederate flags and guns and auto racing were not things that I associated with CT. If you enjoy those types of things, good for you - don't worry, no one's trying to take your guns away, good grief.

Sure they are & the attitude that they dont belong here (which you expressed) is why.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post

No we dont. We know what some narrow minded people insist its meant to express though.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Yup, people lack the balls to do the right thing without being lied to bt politicians. In this case however we should have went in to Iraq until Saddam was dead then came home.
Or better yet, we had no reason to go into Iraq in the first place. Are you condoning the Bush Administration's lies regarding WMDs?

Quote:
Why? Because you dont like it? I see British flags, Cuban flags, Mexican Flags, Canadian flags & many more. No biggie.
The Confederacy is not a country.

Quote:
No we dont. We know what some narrow minded people insist its meant to express though.
Perhaps we can debate without name-calling, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut