U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 PM

209 posts, read 508,240 times

Advertisements

Its been a little bit since I asked this so here's another posting. Any new updates on when the new stop will open up. The last I'd heard we were talking about Fall of 2011. I can see/smell/walk to at a very rediculously close distance to the new station and I'm not sure how much longer I can park on round hill and walk downtown .... Also, does anyone know of any policing for parking thats going to be done. My neighorbood in fairfield is RIGHT across the street and I suspect there will be a lot of people trying to jones for parking. Does fairfield have plans to police this as its not fair to take parking away from residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,130,038 times
Yes, it looks like the station will open in the fall. As for parking, you should contact the police department and discuss. Restricting parking will be difficult and cause some issues if people regularly park on the streets in your neighborhood. It could also mean your guests can't park on the street either. Jay

Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 PM

588 posts, read 1,626,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsnowgirl View Post
Its been a little bit since I asked this so here's another posting. Any new updates on when the new stop will open up. The last I'd heard we were talking about Fall of 2011. I can see/smell/walk to at a very rediculously close distance to the new station and I'm not sure how much longer I can park on round hill and walk downtown .... Also, does anyone know of any policing for parking thats going to be done. My neighorbood in fairfield is RIGHT across the street and I suspect there will be a lot of people trying to jones for parking. Does fairfield have plans to police this as its not fair to take parking away from residents.
See my post from a few weeks ago: Fairfield - new train station update

It's expected to open around November 2011. Permits given to the waiting list first. I wonder if they thought of the neighborhood parking issue... will be interesting to see if they force 2 or 4 hr parking (not good for anyone), or give out a special local permit to residents only, like the downtown permit. I have a feeling the locals will end up getting screwed somehow, either through shortened parking hours or more no parking zones.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,047,313 times
Cops are very tough on parking regulation when it comes to residential areas near the downtown train station; I wouldn't expect them to be lenient in the area near the new station either since every parking ticket is extra money in the town's pocket. Call the non-emergency Fairfield police line at (203) 254-4800 to confirm. Once the station opens, if there is a problem with enforcement of parking regulations, you can fill out a form with police to call for a hearing to address traffic concerns in your neighborhood.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Thanks everyone. I was hoping the same policing would happen for the new train station that currently happens for the existing station. I am happy that I won't need a permit My house is off the street so my car will be fine and I have space for 1 guest but I am curious about how crazy the parking will get come november. Hopefully it won't be too bad. I'll just be happy to make a quick walk instead of my big schlep I have to currently do

Old 01-06-2011, 10:00 AM

588 posts, read 1,626,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Cops are very tough on parking regulation when it comes to residential areas near the downtown train station; I wouldn't expect them to be lenient in the area near the new station either since every parking ticket is extra money in the town's pocket. Call the non-emergency Fairfield police line at (203) 254-4800 to confirm. Once the station opens, if there is a problem with enforcement of parking regulations, you can fill out a form with police to call for a hearing to address traffic concerns in your neighborhood.
How do they differentiate between a resident, an "approved" guest of a resident, or someone that is parked there for a daily commute? Pretend you work the night shift - you would be getting home and parking (when commuters would also be looking to park), leaving your car there all day, then leaving in the evening to head off to work (when commuters are getting home). Short of a special permit (which most of Fairfield does not have), how do they know you are legit when someone else is not?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:34 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,047,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
How do they differentiate between a resident, an "approved" guest of a resident, or someone that is parked there for a daily commute? Pretend you work the night shift - you would be getting home and parking (when commuters would also be looking to park), leaving your car there all day, then leaving in the evening to head off to work (when commuters are getting home). Short of a special permit (which most of Fairfield does not have), how do they know you are legit when someone else is not?
I've frequently heard of non-residents in Fairfield being ticketed for parking in residential areas, but I don't know exactly how Fairfield goes about handling the situation. Here in Greenwich near the central train station, residents in "no train parking areas" have their car make & plate recorded by the police to avoid being ticketed when they park in front of their homes. Cops have a regular beat and type plates into their computers all of the time so they would easily know who can and cannot park there. There is no such thing as "approved guest parking"; the resident would typically allow his/her guest to park in the driveway and park his/her resident car in the street to avoid anyone getting ticketed. If a party is being thrown, additional guests need to park elsewhere.

The only reason I know about any of this is because I looked at a rental near the central Greenwich train station. While there, the realtor told me that parking can be a pain in the butt for guests because of the regulations in the neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:35 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,286,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I've frequently heard of non-residents in Fairfield being ticketed for parking in residential areas, but I don't know exactly how Fairfield goes about handling the situation.
So long as there are no restrictions posted, any car can park on any side street in Fairfield. What you might be referencing is people parking south of Old Post Road during the summer months without the Town Beach/Transfer Station sticker (which almost every family has at least one) but I'm not sure. Beyond that, there really shouldn't be any reason people get tickets unless they park in a no parking zone.

Directly around the Centre Train Station in Fairfield is mostly commercial space, so most lots and side parking is limited to two hours max except for the commuter lot.

~Cheers

Old 03-31-2011, 02:19 PM

Its now almost April, are we still looking at November 2011 for the new fairfield train station?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut