Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
LOL +1

That is why I am always wondering why everyone wants a walkable downtown when most likely you can't walk there in 20mins anyway.
Because even if you live 10 minutes away by car, it's a nice focal point for a community. On a nice day, it's great to stroll around and check out the shops.

Ahh....Connecticut suburbanites at their finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM

16 posts, read 73,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Because even if you live 10 minutes away by car, it's a nice focal point for a community. On a nice day, it's great to stroll around and check out the shops.

Exactly! I enjoy and value a nice stroll/walk and don't think I'm ready to give that up. I go for a daily stroll with my toddler... simple pleasures.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times
Yeah but I think we are talking about two different things.
My other post should read, " I never understood choosing a house based on being able to walk to the town." It won't let me edit.

A town that has a downtown with quaint shops is wonderful because it does give a focal point and it gives the town a sense of self, so to speak. It's the difference between a town-town and bedroom community-town. So yes I agree.

But I'm talking about people who want to buy a house so that they can walk to the town from their house. That is what you see on just about every single episode of House Hunters. That is what I don't get. Narrowing your search of a house on it being no more than a 5 minute walk to town. I wonder how much these people end up actually walking to these same shops over and over to have made it worth choosing that house over.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
But I'm talking about people who want to buy a house so that they can walk to the town from their house. That is what you see on just about every single episode of House Hunters. That is what I don't get. Narrowing your search of a house on it being no more than a 5 minute walk to town. I wonder how much these people end up actually walking to these same shops over and over to have made it worth choosing that house over.
Yes, and they also want to be able to walk to parks, the ocean, the mountains, etc. and have a quiet neighborhood with no traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I don't think there is anything wrong with a person not preferring a downtown for "strolling". It's one thing as Yankeerose said to have a downtown as a focal point for a town, but people do seem to want it all. Personally I don't even like the "suburbs", I just don't like people, period. Most of them are A-holes. I do my shopping as quick as possible with no "strolling". I'd much rather go for a nice hike in some peaceful, remote woods, with only nature for company.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 AM

588 posts, read 1,320,235 times
Maybe it's an age thing... usually on House Hunters it's young couples that want a home in walking distance to local shops & restaurants. These are the people who would most likely be moving from an urban environment to the burbs, so having some walkability would make that transition earier. It's also nice to be able to go out to dinner or drinks without having to worry about driving home. Rural settings are just inconvenient and boring to a lot of people.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax12479 View Post
Maybe it's an age thing...
I think you are right.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 AM

That's true it is usually the younger couples. They want to be able to walk to town in 5 minutes, but they also want a newer house with 3-4 bedrooms, updated that falls within their limited budget.

I'm pretty much a country person. As long as what I need is a 15-20 minute drive, I'm good. If I was going to live where I could walk to everything, I'd want a major city like NYC. I'd want a lot more than some tiny shops and an antique store to walk to. But everybody is different.
Now what is convenient as heck is being able to walk to work. I had that when I lived in Tampa. Shops and restaurants that I might go to once a week? eh.
It is a generational thing. What you want at 25 is not what you want at 40.

Quote:
It's also nice to be able to go out to dinner or drinks without having to worry about driving home. Rural settings are just inconvenient and boring to a lot of people.
This is how I was when I was in my 20's in Tampa. We had several good restaurants we could walk to and walk home and not worry about having a buzz, lol. But after a couple of months it got old. I wanted new and different restaurants and we ended up driving anyway! So when I watch House Hunters just about every night, I always wonder if it's worth it to have narrowed a search for a house down to 5 or 10 minutes from a small town with very limited shops. I'm sure for some people it is. We all like different things.
Andthentherewere3, I'm like you. I'd rather stroll in the woods or a park and drive to shopping. I wouldn't want a mall or too good of shopping within walking distance. That could be dangerous to my credit cards, lol.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
walk to the town from their house. That is what you see on just about every single episode of House Hunters. That is what I don't get. Narrowing your search of a house on it being no more than a 5 minute walk to town. I wonder how much these people end up actually walking to these same shops over and over to have made it worth choosing that house over.
I live in Branford and in the spring/summer/fall, everyone is walking to town. There are people on rollerblades, people walking their dogs, pushing strollers, joggers, etc.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM

I'm sure they are. I'm not trying to argue. We're just discussing how different people want different things in life at different stages.
I wouldn't talk someone out of finding a house where they could walk to town. I certainly wouldn't want someone talking me out of finding a house in the country.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they are. I'm not trying to argue. We're just discussing how different people want different things in life at different stages.
I wouldn't talk someone out of finding a house where they could walk to town. I certainly wouldn't want someone talking me out of finding a house in the country.
I was responding to your questioning...
Quote:
I wonder how much these people end up actually walking to these same shops over and over to have made it worth choosing that house
I'm not trying to argue either, just pointing out that people, in fact, do take advantage of their proximity.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-18-2011 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut