U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:19 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,164,145 times

Advertisements

Things you should have in your car in New England:
1. A roll of toilet paper (for obvious reasons)
2. Some warm covering, blanket, extra coat, sweater, your dog, just - anything warmer than whatever you're wearing.
3. A couple packets of saltines (for lengthy traffic jams when your blood sugar drops because it's been 6 hours since you had lunch and it looks like another 2 hours before you can get home for supper).
4. Some cardboard (to slip under the tires if you ever truly get stuck in the mud or snow or ice)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 05:05 PM

26,301 posts, read 14,366,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Just wondering who on here uses the Merritt? I commute from Orange / Derby to White Plains,NY and I stayed home during the last blizzard so I dont know what it was like.Anyone use it? By like, I mean being plowed. I drove home on last Fridays snowstorm and the parkway was clear up until exit 42 and I wound up getting off exit 44 due to a huge amount of traffic. The parkway was a mess.My TomTom took me on backroads (rte 59)until I was ahead of the traffic, but the Meritt was still a sloppy plow job. It seemed like an awful plowing job.Is it because they dont use salt? Is it always like this? Now we have a huge storm coming this wednesday and I am going to work so far. Do you think the plows will make it driveable or do they just not do a good job?
We moved here in July so this is our first winter here which is why I dont know how the Merritt is in snowstorms. Anyone?
I love driving the Merrit in the snow.....when nobody is on it.. lol Like you said... we know how to drive in it but other drivers make us nervous. Check out the Weather thread, I have updates on the snow and I was posting some pics of the Merrit like this one.
Connecticut Weather

Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM

12,056 posts, read 12,858,095 times
Certainly looks better than this:
Attached Thumbnails
Who here drives the Merritt in the snow?-1.jpg  

Old 01-10-2011, 06:00 PM

1,758 posts, read 1,943,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I love driving the Merrit in the snow.....when nobody is on it.. lol Like you said... we know how to drive in it but other drivers make us nervous. Check out the Weather thread, I have updates on the snow and I was posting some pics of the Merrit like this one.
Connecticut Weather
I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick then drive on the Merritt in those conditions...!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 PM

633 posts, read 675,559 times
With snow tires you can drive any car on it

Old 01-11-2011, 07:08 AM

26,301 posts, read 14,366,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
With snow tires you can drive any car on it
I bought snowtires end of October in preperation for this winter.

Its the first time I ever bought them. Anyone who thinks All Season means ok in snow is crazy... I put just 2 in front for front wheel drive and I see the difference... If I had 4 then even better.

And they're less expensive!

But keep in mind, I can drive in 4 inches or more no matter if I have chains or not, car not high enough. lol

The snow tires obviously allows better grip on 1-4" snowy road, plowed roads or slushy roads.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:58 AM

928 posts, read 1,388,843 times
Not anymore, but did for years. Stay right keep big distance in front of you, plan for a speed slow enough that you won't need to tap brakes (avoids sliding) but quik enough to not incite the reckless road ragers, have 4WD for the hills& all is slow BUT GOOD

Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 AM

12,512 posts, read 12,742,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I bought snowtires end of October in preperation for this winter.

Its the first time I ever bought them. Anyone who thinks All Season means ok in snow is crazy... I put just 2 in front for front wheel drive and I see the difference... If I had 4 then even better.

And they're less expensive!

But keep in mind, I can drive in 4 inches or more no matter if I have chains or not, car not high enough. lol

The snow tires obviously allows better grip on 1-4" snowy road, plowed roads or slushy roads.
Just an FYI about snow tires from a native Montreal girl (me! ):

Snow tires ARE great. In fact, in Montreal (not sure about the rest of the province or the country), they've made snow tires MANDATORY for winter. They'll actually ticket you if you don't have them on your car in the winter.

However, you should take them off your car once winter is over. They make for a really rough and noisy ride when there's no snow on the ground. Also, the treads wear down very quickly on pavement, so you'll likely be wasting a lot of use of the winter tires if you keep them on past winter.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Stay right keep big distance in front of you
This is one of the instances where I would almost recommend drivers stay left. I only say this because in many spots, on ramps creep up on drivers and can result in having to brake quickly to let merging traffic in. That can spell disaster if the roads are treacherous. In a perfect world during a snowstorm, traffic would keep left at a slow and consistent pace, and the right lane is for entering/exiting traffic. But this is Connecticut where even during a blizzard, someone will be on your @ss.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 01-13-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Snow tires ARE great. In fact, in Montreal (not sure about the rest of the province or the country), they've made snow tires MANDATORY for winter. They'll actually ticket you if you don't have them on your car in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut