Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 04:48 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,778,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
It was amazing how fast it accumulated last night. The ride home surely was treacherous.

We ended up with about 2 feet here in Vernon. Just dug all the cars out with some neighbors. We have piles of snow well over six feet high. I haven't ever seen anything like this.
Yes if the roads weren't so bad, I would have kept driving. Fun to be in snow like that. Did the next best thing though and took a walk with the wife. Around midnight the wind was calm and it was fun walking in snow like that.

For people looking for snow totals we received 20" in Cromwell.

One thing I forgot about having epic snow like this is the snow banks it creates. Makes it difficult turning out of driveways and or intersections since you can't see oncoming traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,628,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Suddenly the population around here doesnt bother me. If we can just have these types of storms every month including July I wouldn't want to move.

After last summer being the warmest on record in CT, the past 6 weeks have been heaven for me. May - September 2010 = Hell.

P.S - Havent seen any bugs outside.

Onto the next one.(Jan.15)(Jan.19)(Jan.27) See everyone in the Weather thread. I wonder if JViello was riding his snowmobile all day.
Tell ya what. Shovel the 5 foot-long length of snow from the street to the mailbox that the city plows neglected, so my postal worker can actually deliver the mail to us again.

In trade, I will let you build an igloo on my front lawn and you can live in it til the thaw.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Ice dams form when heat from your house melts the bottom layers of snow on the roof; the water runs down to the gutters. When the water runs past the part of the roof heated from the interior, it freezes again. When the snow on your roof is really deep, the ice at the edge of the roof or in the gutter builds up above the bottom of the roof level. Then the melting snow pools up and works its way backward under your shingles, and then it flows downward inside the walls. You'll find out when you see water coming down a window or into a closet that's against an outer wall. You can get a lot of water damage this way.

This is prevented in true snow country by metal roofs or a metal strip covering the lower 3 feet or so of the roof. It can also be prevented by electrically heated wires on the bottom of the roof and lining the gutters and downspouts, so that the water can get to the ground.

You can also buy roof rakes that can scrape snow off the roof.

Deep snow sucks. I can't wait to retire to the desert.
It's ironic that you mention this because this is exactly what happened to my neighbors. Their house this morning is flooded in the attic and walls.

Heading up on the roof today. Wish me luck.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,062,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's ironic that you mention this because this is exactly what happened to my neighbors. Their house this morning is flooded in the attic and walls.

Be careful up there. If you have to chip ice at the edge of the roof, it's easy to damage the shingles, so if you end up doing that use a light touch.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:50 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,772,674 times
its also very easy to have an icecile whack you on the head (or worse, actually stab you) there was a guy hit by an icecicle on greenwood yesterday, he ended up having to be taken in an ambulance, as it was large and hit him on the head he had a large gash down his face from the tip.

so be carefull!

Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,902,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Go to home depot and get a telescoping pole and attach a push broom head to it. Clean your roof that way; why get up there and slip and fall and bust up that big head?

Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM

83,283 posts, read 74,503,009 times
Yes that was a great tip by the way. Thanks Headedwest. I was wondering why last year I had water leaking on the inside of my window...I wanted to call the contractor because we had replaced everything 2 yrs before. Up I go tommorrow..

Old 01-17-2011, 01:06 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,062,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yes that was a great tip by the way. Thanks Headedwest. I was wondering why last year I had water leaking on the inside of my window...I wanted to call the contractor because we had replaced everything 2 yrs before. Up I go tommorrow..
Good luck. I used the roof rake today, but there is just too much snow up there to get it fully cleaned off. You have to have weight lifter arms to throw around that rake way above your head. No way am I climbing on a roof covered in snow and ice.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,355,575 times
Was gonna go up to Wellesley, MA that day for the Babson vs. Wellesley college basketball game. Needless to say the game got cancelled. Luckily, West Conn played Keene state the day before, so I got stuck in the begginings of it driving back from Danbury to Trumbull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut