Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 10:35 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone - as we continue to look around, I was hoping some of you might have some info on South Windsor. I like the access and other things about the town, but am struggling with the neighborhoods. The few my wife and I have driven through are very cookie cutter with roughly half acre lots. Does anyone know if there are specific areas or neighborhoods in South Windsor that have neighborhoods that have more character or look like reproduction type homes? For comparision - the farmcliff area of glastonbury and the gilead heights area of hebron are the type of neighborhood we are looking for. Walkable, homes are not all the same, have nice details to them, larger lots....

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Eastern South Windsor is where I have seen most of the cookie cut-out neighborhoods. The rest of the town is rather commercial or warehouses, from what I have seen based on driving around. However, I think in the southern part of the town near East Hartford there are some older homes that have more character. If I were you, I would either (a) drive around the town and see what it's like, or (b) spend some time on Google Maps using the Street View feature and look around inside random parts of the town to see what the houses look like. Bing Maps Bird's Eye View is also helpful for this. Or (c) go onto an MLS site (i.e. Raveis, PrudentialCT, Realtor) and run a search for South Windsor homes. Find a home that looks like it has character, take note of the address and look for it on a mapping website to see if that neighborhood is indeed a non-cookie-cut-out neighborhood.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:06 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The Main Street area is the section of South Windsor with the most character. The northern end of it is called East Windsor Hill. It is along the Connecticut River road and is really an extension of main road that runs along the east side of the Connecticut River from Old Lyme to Massachusetts. When Route 5 was built, it bypassed this area and sort of saved it from commercial development like you see in East Hartford or parts of Glastonbury. There are not a lot of homes in this area and the newer reproduction ones are pricey. Sunderland Homes builds in this area but they are expensive.

There really aren't a lot of neighborhoods like Farmcliff around. We have looked. If that area is what you like then you should really buy there. Gilead Heights is very nice too but homes rarely come on the market there. Jay

Old 01-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Thanks - we actually drove through the main street area not too long ago and were a bit disappointed in the area, there were some nice homes, but it lacked a neighborhood feel and homes were hit or miss. Some were nice, others were in a bit of disrepair. I guess we'll keep looking....

Old 01-15-2011, 08:53 PM

61 posts, read 244,576 times
What price range are you looking in. IF this is something that you want to pm me insteado of mentioning here that's fine. We moved to South Windsor last year and so far like it here.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 AM

We're looking up to $450K. I'm not concerned that we wouldn't like SW, its more of a question of finding the type of house in the type of neighborhood that we like. For neighborhood, we prefer not cookie cutter homes, walkable. For homes we would prefer a larger lot where the homes aren't on top of each other. They don't neccessarily have to be an acre apart on each side, but I like my space. Our preference in architecture is usually colonial or a larger cape with a reproduction look to them. We have seen some ranches that we like, typically those lack any character. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:24 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Thanks - we actually drove through the main street area not too long ago and were a bit disappointed in the area, there were some nice homes, but it lacked a neighborhood feel and homes were hit or miss. Some were nice, others were in a bit of disrepair. I guess we'll keep looking....
You have to remember that South Windsor was a farming town and did not develop until after World War II, so most of the town is pretty spread out and has that very suburban feel.

Have you considered Old Wethersfield? It is a remarkably charming area and very convenient to many areas. It is walkable with a few small shops and restaurants nearby. I am always amazed that it is not considered to be more desirable than it is. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut