U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM

7 posts, read 15,876 times

Advertisements

Just got a fill in late December 2010 from Paraco gas for my residential propane service in Litchfield county. I have 1000 gal tank and use about 2000gal / yr.

They charged me $3.09/gal. This seemed pretty high so I am wondering if anyone could comment on what the CURRENT rates are for their propane vendor. I realize there are intro rates for the first fill available but would like to know what the ongoing price is to see if it is in line. My vendor said this was 'a good rate' ...

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:34 PM

633 posts, read 673,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionigi View Post
Just got a fill in late December 2010 from Paraco gas for my residential propane service in Litchfield county. I have 1000 gal tank and use about 2000gal / yr.

They charged me $3.09/gal. This seemed pretty high so I am wondering if anyone could comment on what the CURRENT rates are for their propane vendor. I realize there are intro rates for the first fill available but would like to know what the ongoing price is to see if it is in line. My vendor said this was 'a good rate' ...

thanks
That sounds pretty expensive considering I bought oil at $3.05 per gallon.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM

26,224 posts, read 14,265,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
That sounds pretty expensive considering I bought oil at $3.05 per gallon.
I got oil for 2.44 per gallon but back in September...since then it has risen substantially. I thought Propane was supposed to be luch less expensive. Maybe that guy was price gauging since commodities have risen past few months.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 PM

633 posts, read 673,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I got oil for 2.44 per gallon but back in September...since then it has risen substantially. I thought Propane was supposed to be luch less expensive. Maybe that guy was price gauging since commodities have risen past few months.
Where do you live and who is your oil dealer?

Back in September I was quoted around $2.69 prebuy 500 gallons. Shot myself in the wallet when I tried to wait it out.

Frankly if I was your oil dealer I will band together with other dealer and sanction you until you give up that wood stove

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM

146 posts, read 142,338 times
That's definitely high. FYI, in case you missed it, there's another thread about propane here, which I just posted to recently:
Propane Heat in Connecticut

I've been using State Line (out of Granby), and have been reasonably happy with them (though they're making me nervous right now, because my tank is down to 5% and they told me last week they'd deliver by this past Monday - as of yesterday they told me that they'd be out today, so we'll see). They recently quoted me $2.38/gal, but came down a bit more when I told them what a competitor had offered me. That competitor, BTW, was Superior Plus Energy (aka SCASCO).

Superior Plus Energy is a nationwide company that's listed on the stock market, so they're big. I suspect that SCASCO was/is a local company that was bought by them (or simply partners with them in some way). They have locations in Unionville and Bloomfield, but I believe they have more than that, so there's a good chance they cover your area. The rep I spoke with quoted me a one-time fill of $1.999/gal and a lock-in (which, from what I've seen, is rarely offered with propane) of $2.299/gal till April 30th.

FWIW, some other companies I recently contacted quoted me the following:
Aero All-Gas: $2.34/gal + $15 delivery
Osterman Propane: $2.099/gal for the first fill
Hocon Gas: $2.65/gal
Valley Energy (Canton and other locations): $2.729/gal

We used to have Arrow Gas, but they were robbing us (about $3/gal). We switched to State Line at about $2/gal initially, and they've always been under $2.40/gal, even when we weren't paying attention and shopping around. That's one reason why I've leaned towards staying with them.

My tank is only a 500 gallon tank, and I used about 900 gallons last year, so you may be able to negotiate an even better price with some of these companies. FWIW, I've been miserly this year, turning down the thermostats, paying $75 to a company that contracts with CL&P to seal some windows, and making much more use of our wood burning stove (almost out of wood now), so I'm anticipating/hoping that this year's usage will be significantly lower.

Last edited by Scott R; 01-20-2011 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut