U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-22-2011, 06:36 AM

6,530 posts, read 8,040,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2000kid View Post
As someone who has worked for a manager like you for years I've worked alongside the old dogs who made it in all winter
and even stayed when we ended up short handed, only to get laid off next year cuz they were maxed on vacation time (Five Weeks)
God forbid they had to pay us for 52 weeks when we only work 47.

The way i see it if i don't come in for the day you don't have to pay me : ) WIN/WIN
I'm a bit confused, they fired these people because they actually used their 5 weeks of vacation or because they COULD use it (i.e. keep the people with only 2 weeks). No wonder Americans don't use all of their vacation time, how sad! Either way, while I do think with overly cost-conscious management, the 5 weeks vs. 2 was a factor, I bet that as senior employees they were paid more too (again, not right to fire them solely based on that, but I've seen that before). I hear you on it though, especially in this day and age you could work like a dog and still be the first to be let go in a layoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
People, people....relax. If there is a huge snowstorm (>6 or 7") then people should not be on the roads. But if we get a 3-5" snowstorm and it's over by even 10 AM, there is no reason why people should have to take the day off. I can see if you can do your work from home, or if you have to stay home because schools are closed (even though schools should not have closed for yesterday's storm), but otherwise, get your butt in.

At my old job I had a woman with grown kids under me who would call out when there was a THREAT of a few inches in the afternoon. These are the people I'm talking about.

Again, I can't stand fair-weather employees. It has nothing to do with "living to work", it has to do with responsibility. Reading the responses and excuses piling up just in this thread alone, I can see people hate taking responsibility.

I'm trying to figure out MFFY - give me a clue. LOL
I hear you, thanks for the clarification. To give you an idea, if I was still working in the corporate world, I probably would've gone in late yesterday, mainly because of time needed to clean off my car from it's outdoor space (being on the NY/CT border, the sun was out here at 8am!). Since my school district job is hourly and not "permanent", I was actually hoping there'd be a delay and not a closing as I don't get paid on these snow days and I while I thought it was bad enough in the morning for a delay, definitely not for a closure.

MFFY = Me First, Forget You (had to Google that one, I was wondering as well).
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 06:38 AM

1,494 posts, read 3,106,250 times
If people want to use a sick day or personal day for snow go ahead, but I'd rather save mine for a better day.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,876,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm trying to figure out MFFY - give me a clue. LOL
Somebody told me that very soon after I moved to Connecticut. It's shorthand for a driving style common here: "Me first, f___ you."

Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM

24,597 posts, read 13,058,129 times
Just to add to this thread... I Love snow, I love Cold. When I say snow I mean measured in feet. When I say cold I mean near 0. I still havent worn a jacket this winter (short sleeves and sweatshirt) I sat on the beach the other day, that goes to show my love for winter...with that said...I'm not scared of snow.

Lastly... I dont understand some people... It snowed 2 feet and the roads were clear to go out and about that afternoon... I also believe that because of the invention of cars, people tend to hate snow more..

Enjoy it..Its only for 3 months around here. We had 90's practically end of May till August last year..

Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,876,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
MFFY = Me First, Forget You (had to Google that one, I was wondering as well).
That's the G-rated version.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 PM

745 posts, read 846,411 times
My Philosophy...better late then never so drive cautiously, leave late, work from home and come in later, whatever...if my employees make an effort that's what I want to see. Yesterday people in my office were already planning to call our for this weeks storm...thankfully they're not my subordinates. They all complain work should be closed...they can use their time but I'd rather see the effort...

Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM

6,530 posts, read 8,040,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
That's the G-rated version.
Yeah, I got it two posts up where you only include the first letter.....

Old 01-22-2011, 07:37 PM

19,023 posts, read 13,826,818 times
Oh please, prevention is better than cure. What if you get rammed by a car out of control, agreed that you're super careful and you can probably defeat vin diesel in snow car racing???

What if you slip by accidentally placing feet on shiny ice and fall down for a fracture??? And a visit to the stethescreeps with a 1000$ cheque, 20 minutes on medical call center which tells you your closest physician network is 15 miles away???

What if you metro north suspends few trains and you're left standing with a running nose for hours??

And what if you wanna go potty, is one allowed to make yellow snow in Connecticut??

Old 01-22-2011, 07:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 13,826,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
My Philosophy...better late then never so drive cautiously, leave late, work from home and come in later, whatever...if my employees make an effort that's what I want to see. Yesterday people in my office were already planning to call our for this weeks storm...thankfully they're not my subordinates. They all complain work should be closed...they can use their time but I'd rather see the effort...
You're such a wow boss. Can I get your autograph??

Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM

1,705 posts, read 881,975 times
If I could make it up to Maine in my crappy honda accord, then most people should've been able to get into work. I mean by the time I left (12:15) it was sunny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut