U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:20 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,905,594 times

Advertisements

Which is the better community college..??

I will be going to community college later this year for my engineering science degree.

I want a career in mechanical engineering and I want the engineering science degree because it helps my chances of getting transfer to a good engineering schools much easier as long as I have a High G.P.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 12:54 PM

3,161 posts, read 8,092,747 times
Manchester is probably the nicest looking community college in the state. Other than that, every comm. college in CT offers Engineering and no one is better academically than the other. They all have articulation agreements with CSU and UConn, so you can easily transfer credits to UConn or CCSU's engineering programs.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 PM

42 posts, read 68,008 times
not sure what your limits are travel wise, but there are som egood programs in the springfield,MA area as well...

Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffldresident24 View Post
not sure what your limits are travel wise, but there are som egood programs in the springfield,MA area as well...
It would have to be a little closer. I'm going to have a hectic time and I can't afford to miss a single day of class but thankyou for letting me know.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Manchester is probably the nicest looking community college in the state. Other than that, every comm. college in CT offers Engineering and no one is better academically than the other. They all have articulation agreements with CSU and UConn, so you can easily transfer credits to UConn or CCSU's engineering programs.
Yeah. Hopefully it will be able to transfer to MIT. I heard its a better school and did want to get out of the ct area.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:53 PM

3,161 posts, read 8,092,747 times
You may want to check out the transferability of credits ahead of time. Many colleges are real pains in the you know what about accepting credits from other schools. You may find yourself killing 2 years at community college for no reason because MIT won't accept any transfer credits, which is why the agreement is in place with the community colleges and UConn/CCSU.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:14 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,024,298 times
Yea it would be very easy to transfer credits from a comm college to CSU or UCONN. However, if you plan on going to a different university like MIT, I would contact them first. If they are nice they might even point out what classes they will except in credit.

As for the 2 comm colleges if you have your own car go to Manchester. If you rely on public transportation Cap Comm would be better. (I'm assuming Cap Comm is now in the old G Fox building) far easier to get into Hartford via public trans than Manchester.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:05 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,287,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Which is the better community college..??

I will be going to community college later this year for my engineering science degree.

I want a career in mechanical engineering and I want the engineering science degree because it helps my chances of getting transfer to a good engineering schools much easier as long as I have a High G.P.A.
Why not just jump right into CCSU? You can get the refresher and pre req's right there. Plus they have an excellent ME program. They are also starting a masters in ME next year. Go for it!

Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 PM

420 posts, read 1,027,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Why not just jump right into CCSU? You can get the refresher and pre req's right there. Plus they have an excellent ME program. They are also starting a masters in ME next year. Go for it!
Agreed. CCSU has a fantastic engineering program, and CT engineering firms typically hire Central grads right out of the gate. I agree with mels as well. Colleges are so picky about credits they accept, so please be careful about attending a 2-year program hoping to transfer. Make sure your credits will transfer!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,855 times
The education you receive at both colleges will be on parr with each other, however not all the community colleges have the same programs or courses. You'll want to visit both and meet with the program coordinators. Check the curriculum offerings to be sure that both schools offer the same courses. MCC has a large engineering program and advanced math classes. Check to see if CCC offers the same curriculum before you decide. The community college credits do transfer to senior institutions outside of the CSU and UConn systems, but you'll want to check with the schools you're interested in attending once you do transfer or with the community college to see where students have transferred. Also, credits transfer between community colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or