Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:33 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I dont know, but growth is very important to every politico I know. The way I see it once we have everything we need for the people who live here we're good to go. really growth shouldn't mean taxes need to go up anyway, if everything is done fairly & responsibly more people paying in should if anything lower the cost per person.

Thats another subject though. Given our current economic climate I'd be for cutting every non essential program or position we have. The problem, both at state & federal levels is there is not even a pretense of fairness or objectivity anymore. Most of us have taken a huge hit if we can find work at all & raising my taxes so the state & federal employees can keep their jobs & bennies intact, people can sit home & collect welfare, politicians can jet set around the world and illegal immigrants can go to the doctor is so far out I cant have any respect for any elected person who isn't for cutting his/her own salary & benefits. Lets see Malloy cut his pay. Theres no reason in the world our state cant be run today on the money collected 5 years ago. Its an outright disgrace.

We the people are just money machines for the govt, dont you know that?

Its been awhile since we werent liberal, even with a Republican Governor and a couple general assembly seats. The liberals infected our Republicans a long time ago.
Its a lost cause when you have so many voters on the public dole anyway. It amazes me that we let people who dont contribute have a say on how to spend other peoples money.
Wasn't how it was meant to be at all & now we are suffering the consequences.
All I can say is "yep".

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Get ready for what? Another tax increase? Like that is something new.....
At least you're not complacent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Well, we've had this dysfunctional system whereby nobody had any real responsibility because the governor and legislature just pointed fingers at each other. And the voters were protected from the full consequences of the way they were voting.

Now the rubber will hit the road. They won't be able to point fingers at each other, and the voters will get the full measure of what they've voted for for years. Let's see how they like it.
True, but I think they'll just blame it on the last 20 years of a "republican" governor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
all i know is i dont have any more money to give people, so if they want more there going to have to split me open and sell my blood or something...
They'll lean your property, garnish your paycheck and get it out of you any way they can. Trust me. When you think there is nothing else to "take" you find what you have is really not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 09:14 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times
So this is going to be state taxes that are going up? Or is this property taxes as well?

Last edited by Yankeerose00; 01-29-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
This is exactly why I voted for Foley.

Last edited by nep321; 01-29-2011 at 10:52 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 12:49 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,183,879 times
Quote:
Its been awhile since we werent liberal, even with a Republican Governor and a couple general assembly seats. The liberals infected our Republicans a long time ago.
Its a lost cause when you have so many voters on the public dole anyway. It amazes me that we let people who dont contribute have a say on how to spend other peoples money.
Wasn't how it was meant to be at all & now we are suffering the consequences.
This would be a lovely narrative except "Conservative" states are in way worse shape than we are. Plus, the idea that "voters" are on the public dole is not how reality pans out. God forbid there's a huge mass of people in Connecticut that vote to maintain services for people in need, seemingly out of altruism but really also enhances the quality of life for all. And out of curiosity what do you mean it wasn't "how it was meant to be"?

Besides, this blog makes the assumption that it would be taxes on individuals that would be expanded, but the article it links to clearly suggests the primary source the Governor is looking at is the overlooked corporate tax structure.

~Cheers

Old 01-30-2011, 05:13 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
This would be a lovely narrative except "Conservative" states are in way worse shape than we are. Plus, the idea that "voters" are on the public dole is not how reality pans out. God forbid there's a huge mass of people in Connecticut that vote to maintain services for people in need, seemingly out of altruism but really also enhances the quality of life for all. And out of curiosity what do you mean it wasn't "how it was meant to be"?

Besides, this blog makes the assumption that it would be taxes on individuals that would be expanded, but the article it links to clearly suggests the primary source the Governor is looking at is the overlooked corporate tax structure.

~Cheers
Who do you think ends up paying corporate taxes? They just get passed on to individuals one way or another. You can't tax an inanimate object or entity, though politicans always try, since inanimate objects can't vote. It's just another way for them to trick us, and it's sad that so many of us seem to fall for it.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 AM

257 posts, read 610,107 times
Quote:

~Cheers
They are LOL?

NC, GA, TX, NV, UT, NH

Old 01-30-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
They are LOL?

NC, GA, TX, NV, UT, NH
In Connecticut, we have so much conceit. We think we're better than everyone else, and just assume they're doing worse than we are. But jobs are leaving our state for these places we so despise, and we're losing ground on population to them to. We need to wake up to reality and figure out why.

Last edited by dazzleman; 01-30-2011 at 06:28 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 06:04 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
This would be a lovely narrative except "Conservative" states are in way worse shape than we are. Plus, the idea that "voters" are on the public dole is not how reality pans out. God forbid there's a huge mass of people in Connecticut that vote to maintain services for people in need, seemingly out of altruism but really also enhances the quality of life for all.
So you dont think that EVERY welfare recipient, most union & municipal employees and others who benefit directly from steal & give dont vote Democrat? You think that the people here barely getting by because of our taxation are voteing in hopes of higher taxes & bigger perks for people who sit back & collect checks?
Quote:
And out of curiosity what do you mean it wasn't "how it was meant to be"?
Just what I said. When we formed this country the vote was restricted to landowners & others with a direct interest in BETTERING our country, state & cities.

Put it this way, would you let a child have an equal say in your home finances? Or a person you took in off the street? A Crack dealer who hangs out on your lawn or a homelessman in your shed? Of course not, but every one of those people, except of course the child, can go out & vote for people in the hopes of directing how our tax money is spent. If you dont pay income tax & property tax in CT you shouldn't have as much say as those who do. If you are on public assistance you shouldn't hve a vote at all since in that case you arent paying ANY taxes at all and are nothing but a burden on everyone else. Ever hear of conflict of interest? While the rest of us are concerned over state spending & our ability to feed our families after paying taxes the ONLY think concerning them is what they can get for free. Go ask one next time you see them standing on the corner how they feel about the tax structure in this state. They wont even care a little bit how much WE pay because they dont pay it, they collect it. I dont think we should let them starve, but I dont think it smart to give them an equal voice either.

Quote:

~Cheers
And who really pays those taxes? The Governor should look in the mirror if he wants to find the problem. This state got by for a couple hundred years with NO income tax & now that they have income tax, gas tax, cigerette tax, liquor tax, & every other tax under the sun we still need to raise more? Explain why? Explain why one of the smallest states with one of the highest population densities and one of the highest taxed in the nation is broke if not for poor leadership & squandering of our money?

What we need are strong fiscal conservatives not afraid to just say no, not afraid to cut back until things are rational & fair. What we dont need is a whiny weak spineless weasel who is looking for ways to weasel out of the hard work.

If we need to cut back 10 million in state spending or 100 million we need a person who will simply keep crossing things off the state budget until we reach that figure. Its petty simple really. But nobody who depends on the welfare class vote will ever even dream of such a thing.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:10 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
In Connecticyt, we have so much conceit. We think we're better than everyone else, and just assume they're doing eorse than we are. But jobs are leaving our state for these places we so despise, and we're losing ground on population to them to. We need to wake up to reality and figure out why.

Yup. At some point the only people left will be the rich, politicians & poor.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Yup. At some point the only people left will be the rich, politicians & poor.
It's already well advanced in that direction. The rich don't really care, because they have so much that it doesn't matter. The poor are trained to just leech off the system, and to make life choices that ensure that they will always be 'in need.' And the politicians maintain power by using the people's money to buy votes from parasitic elements of their constituency. What an unholy mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut