Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 11:45 AM

141 posts, read 228,100 times

Advertisements

According to A Quinnipiac University poll it breaks down like this in Connecticut:

Yankees 43%
Red Sox 37%
Mets 10%

Not surprisingly, the NY teams are more popular in Fairfield and the Sox are more popular in the areas nearest Boston.

LINK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 01:03 PM

512 posts, read 1,754,867 times
I can't stand the Yankee allegiance in parts of CT. I'm a die hard Sox fan (they are slip, slip, slipping awaaaaaaaaaaay). Too much of CT is trying to become NY. I live in Jersey now, so I expect the Yankee fanbase to be huge there.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:27 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
I can't stand the Yankee allegiance in parts of CT. I'm a die hard Sox fan (they are slip, slip, slipping awaaaaaaaaaaay). Too much of CT is trying to become NY. I live in Jersey now, so I expect the Yankee fanbase to be huge there.
I don't think that's it at all. The two counties closest to the New York State line comprise 50 percent of Connecticut's population. There are more folks in Connecticut that commute to NYC than those who do to Boston. Also, Connecticut's closest point is only about 20 miles from the city.

What is surprising is how the Yankees' fan base in Connecticut has continued to drop over the past 10 years.

Last edited by Rich Lee; 07-19-2007 at 05:35 PM..

Old 07-20-2007, 07:58 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times
I was shocked by how many Yankee fans there were in CT.

Im a Met fan from LI about to relocate.

Truth be told the east end of LI can be Sox nation due to Yaz being from Riverhead and pre cable broadcast TV was all New England.

Lets go Mets
: )

C

Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 AM

578 posts, read 2,098,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I don't think that's it at all. The two counties closest to the New York State line comprise 50 percent of Connecticut's population. There are more folks in Connecticut that commute to NYC than those who do to Boston. Also, Connecticut's closest point is only about 20 miles from the city.

What is surprising is how the Yankees' fan base in Connecticut has continued to drop over the past 10 years.
Where have you been told?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:13 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Where have you been told?
I'm not sure that I understand the incomplete question. But if it is pertaining to the drop in Yankees fans, my source is the Quinnipiac College (now University) poll which has shown the figure dropping by a percentage point or two each year for the past ten years.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:33 PM

262 posts, read 299,948 times
Yea that seems right my town is split 50-50

Go Sox!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:18 PM

72 posts, read 355,959 times
Default Yankee-Red Sox Border....

The Yankee-Red Sox border is unofficially just east of Meriden. New Britain once had the Red Sox minor league team. As you approach Meriden, traveling through Southbury, Woodbury, Middlebury, and so on - you will begin seeing more Red Sox memorabilia and hats - probably due to the bandwagon effect winning has, but also because there are more 3rd, 4th , 5th generation New Englanders living there.

Fairfield County gets paltry coverage by all CT stations. They (ch 3,30,8,61, etc) sometimes don't give us weather, or take note of significant news stories which may effect Stamford-Danbury. Commonly, the better coverage for our towns are the major New York news channels. We can't get Red Sox home games even if we wanted to watch them because our cable companies don't even carry NESN. Besides, Danbury(the farthest town) is 60 miles from Manhattan, and according to certain Major League agreements, the Red Sox can't encroach on this territory, much like the Yanks can't market themselves in Western/Central Mass.

Also, you are likely to find that more people living in Fairfield County moved there from the city, and many still commute to the city as has been said.

Mets are often a more Long Island draw, but I'll bet in Fairfield County, the split between Mets/Yankees fans might be a bit closer than the whole state reflects. New Haven and Norwich probably influence this number, despite being on the border or actually in Red Sox country.

PS Years ago, Danbury native Joe Lahoud played for the Red Sox. Interestingly, despite being over 30 years ago, there are still pockets of Red Sox faithful inspired by him, many fans part of the large Lebanese community of which Lahoud I believe was also part of.

Go Yanks!!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM

262 posts, read 299,948 times
O and most likely the reason that i like the sox over the Yanks is because i get nesn not YES

Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,848 times
My parent moved from MA to Fairfield county. Now, all they got on TV is Yankees coverage over there. That's bummer. However, during the NFL season, one can get both Patroits (Hartford station) and Giants/Jets games (New York station). That's pretty cool. From my limited experience over my parent's place, Giants and Yankees are most popular over that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut