U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 11,324 times

Advertisements

We have lived in Wilton for 6 years and love it here, but since my husband works from home and does not need to commute to NYC we are considering moving to a less expensive town in CT. We feel that we can get more for our money and have a better quality of life living in Avon. Since we have 2 school age children who are very involved with their friends, sports etc. we are concerned about uprooting them from a place that they have always called home. Our thoughts about relocating are purely economic and since the cost of living is so expensive in Wilton and all of Fairfield County we are exploring Avon. We want to make the best decision and not have any regrets. Does anyone have any advice? Should we stay or should we go? Pro's & Con's. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,844,955 times
Avon is a beautiful town and you will get more home for your money there than in Wilton. the schools are excellent and there is a lot of family related activities. The Farmington Valley (where Avon is located) includes a number of town you may also want to consider including Simsbury, Farmington, Canton, Burlington and Granby. Keep in mind though that these towns are a bit isolated and getting to them from a major highway or traveling to major shopping can be difficult. The Farmington Valley does not have any major highways to get people in and out so traffic can sometime be an issue. This however give the valley an almost "shang ra la" feel to it. Some people like that, some don't. The valley does have most major shopping needs but to get to a major mall, major entertainment and a major highway can be an issue. Also keep in mind that you are going to be at least two hours from New York so if you like to go into the city for things you have an extra hour or so to travel. Jay

Old 01-31-2011, 10:50 AM

6,527 posts, read 4,984,265 times
Avon is generally considered to be the premiere town of Hartford County. It's extremely clean and manicured. Route 44 is littered with plenty of shopping strips, restaurants and doctors. The town overall feels not too rural and not too urban. Excellent schools, and the property taxes - albeit high - are not as high as say, Simsbury or Glastonbury. If there's one town in Metro Hartford that could qualify as a Fairfield County town, it would undoubtedly be Avon.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 AM

631 posts, read 659,727 times
I won't move but I will probably downsize. Wilton estimates that around $8500 is spent on each school child annually so as long as your property tax is below $17000 you are getting a good deal. You might save more in Avon but it doesn't make sense to sell a good location for average location in this market (locking in your losses).

I also feel that your children may get more valuable networks to work in nyc or stamford in the future by growing up in Wilton as opposed to Avon. There are lots of ways to save money even in FFC:

1) learn some wood cutting and stove installing techniques from Cambium
2) limit to 1 shopping trip per week and do that in Norwalk's costco

Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 AM

14,418 posts, read 22,844,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
I won't move but I will probably downsize. Wilton estimates that around $8500 is spent on each school child annually so as long as your property tax is below $17000 you are getting a good deal. You might save more in Avon but it doesn't make sense to sell a good location for average location in this market (locking in your losses).

I also feel that your children may get more valuable networks to work in nyc or stamford in the future by growing up in Wilton as opposed to Avon. There are lots of ways to save money even in FFC:

1) learn some wood cutting and stove installing techniques from Cambium
2) limit to 1 shopping trip per week and do that in Norwalk's costco
I would not call Avon an "average location". It is an upscale suburb of a major US city and is considered to be one of the most desirable towns in the state. Despite most New Yorker's opinion, the world does not revolve around the city. And not everyone aspires to work in New York or have their children work there. A child can do just as well in life living in Avon as they can living in a distant suburb of NY. Jay

Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 AM

2,512 posts, read 5,206,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
I also feel that your children may get more valuable networks to work in nyc or stamford in the future by growing up in Wilton as opposed to Avon.
I disagree with this. I grew up in the Connecticut suburbs of NYC and most people I know went to college and now no longer work or live in the NYC metro area. Why, you ask? Because it is too expensive! No one is networking in high school and if you go off to college, many try to avoid moving back home after graduation, if it can be helped.

I lived all over but settled down back in CT outside of Hartford. About half of my friends are out of state and of the percentage that are in CT, the vast majority do not live in Fairfield County.

Bottom line, the town you are raised in doesn't define you.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM

4,777 posts, read 7,883,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would not call Avon an "average location". It is an upscale suburb of a major US city and is considered to be one of the most desirable towns in the state. Despite most New Yorker's opinion, the world does not revolve around the city. And not everyone aspires to work in New York or have their children work there. A child can do just as well in life living in Avon as they can living in a distant suburb of NY. Jay
I agree with this! Konig is new to Ct., and to the U.S. as well I think, so is probably unaware of how desirable Avon is.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 AM

11,996 posts, read 12,601,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I agree with this! Konig is new to Ct., and to the U.S. as well I think, so is probably unaware of how desirable Avon is.
Reading their history of posts, I don't think this is true.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 AM

6,527 posts, read 4,984,265 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but another non-FFC town that could probably pass for an FFC town is Woodbridge. I don't know much about it, but apparently it's even higher income than Avon.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM

11,996 posts, read 12,601,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but another non-FFC town that could probably pass for an FFC town is Woodbridge. I don't know much about it, but apparently it's even higher income than Avon.
It doesn't really sound like the OP is looking for a "Fairfield County-like" town. They just want good schools and a lower cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut