U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-31-2011, 11:38 AM

137 posts, read 187,312 times

Advertisements

So went to the philidelphia auto show yesterday, thinking a few dollars for tolls, NOT $50~. (didn't help when I told my GPS to AVOID tolls it told me to get off I-95 just to pay a toll)

I got fed up and went through a e-z pass lane but obviously don't have a pass, how much is the charge going to be? Are they going to mail it to me? What happens if I don't pay it? I am never going back to NJ.

I wonder what people from NJ think when they visit CT!.....they probably never want to leave.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 11:49 AM

4,128 posts, read 7,818,807 times
You will probably get a ticket with a violation for going through EZ pass. Could be expensive. NJ does rip you off with all their tolls. Someone has to pay for all the OT for the toll collectors, even though they have all those high speed EZ passes.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM

2,544 posts, read 5,277,076 times
I believe you will get hit for $25 for each toll you miss, plus the original fee of the toll.

Edited to add: they have cameras at tolls, whoever owns the car will get the fines sent to them via mail.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 PM

14,546 posts, read 23,172,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfordlol View Post
I wonder what people from NJ think when they visit CT!.....they probably never want to leave.
My friends from NJ are very envious of the fact that we do not have tolls. They will mention it often. Jay

Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM

481 posts, read 368,679 times
How do you spend $50 on tolls? Is that Turnpike end-to-end or something?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:19 PM

651 posts, read 607,509 times
Quote:
So went to the philidelphia auto show yesterday, thinking a few dollars for tolls, NOT $50~. (didn't help when I told my GPS to AVOID tolls it told me to get off I-95 just to pay a toll)

I got fed up and went through a e-z pass lane but obviously don't have a pass, how much is the charge going to be? Are they going to mail it to me? What happens if I don't pay it? I am never going back to NJ.

Not sure this will work, but probably worth a shot since your facing a fine from the NJ Turnpike.

Enroll in EZ pass now - I mean today. On the application it will ask for your cars plate # - be sure to fill that part in. (As it is possible to complete the application without the plate # filled in) Get an EZ-pass from NY and choose to have your statements emailed. This will avoid the 1$ monthly fee they like to add.

Now the fun part. When you get the violation in the mail it will have a section that says something like "I had an EZpass, but for some reason it didn't work" checkbox. Check that and fill in your license plate # (this is the same plate # you used on the original application)

I don't know if this still works, but I had an EZ pass about 10 years ago that stopped working without any warning. I received about 5 violations in the mail (from NJ) and once they knew I had an EZ pass all the violations were dismissed. They just withdrew the funds for the tolls from my EZ pass account.

For future reference, if you are stuck in an EZ pass lane, and there is a gate (like in NY) just wait for an attendant to pay the toll. This happened to me on the Whitestone bridge once, where I couldn't get into the cash lane due to too much traffic. I sat there and blew the horn. No way I'm paying a fine for that. The attendant even gave me a receipt.

I also don't see how this could've cost ~50 in tolls to get to Philly. (unless maybe you went over the Verrazano narrows bridge for some reason)

I can get you from the George Washington to the Comm Barry bridge for about 4$ one way. (excluding toll on the Comm Barry)

Old 01-31-2011, 04:32 PM

12,344 posts, read 13,942,640 times
EZ Pass gives you discounts on the Tolls usually 2-4$ off , you probably get a fine which i think is 500$ , + the amount of tolls you went through. A few years ago they started getting tough.....they don't pay around anymore. Our Turnpike System is built a Autobahn Standards and is one the best highways in the Northeast. Its only fare you pay your share.... Next time when i fill up in CT , i just won't pay.....sheesh I never heard of 50$ , i think your stretching that number...

Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM

12,052 posts, read 12,821,277 times
$50 in tolls to get to Philly? Unless you kept going the wrong way, that's not accurate.

8 bucks to get over the GW, and maybe (MAYBE) 7 on the Turnpike, and another few bucks to get into Philly. There's no way it cost you more than $20. And honestly, you used their roads and contributed to wear and tear - 20 bucks is more than fair.

I fully support tolls in Connecticut, bring 'em back.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:41 PM

1,904 posts, read 980,496 times
Quote:

Before my sister got an e-z pass, she was on the garden state and she zipped through one of those ez- pass speed lanes. They take a picture of your license plate, and they mailed her a fine. Don't quote me on this, because I've had e-z pass for as long as I can remember, but I think its $25 for your first offense, $50 for your second and $100 for your third.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,745,709 times
Quote:
I got fed up and went through a e-z pass lane but obviously don't have a pass, how much is the charge going to be?

So what, you are one of those people who feel you are above the law? You are too good to pay a toll because you got fed up?

You should get what you deserve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut