Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 PM

20 posts, read 27,751 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a single female 31 years old. I maybe taking a job in Hartford on Main Street. I've considered the apartments on 360 Main St (Adrian Towers) as well as Capital View Apartments on 650 Asylum Ave. Which area is safest for a single female? If you all have any other recommendations on apartments I'm also open to suggestions. I don't mind commuting up to 15 miles or so, and do not want to pay more than about $850 a month for rent at most. Looking for studio or one bedroom that accepts cats, because I have 2.

Thank you all so much for any advice. I'm excited about this possible change, but also a little nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
my house is very safe if you're cute

Seriously, I live in Glastonbury CT, about 7 miles southeast of Hartford. There are several apartment complexes here close to shopping, restaurants, etc etc, and GLastonbury is a great town, EXTREMELY SAFE for a single female.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:06 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,214 times
Do you own a car? I'd suggest living outside of the city limits. Check out West Hartford, Newington, Wethersfield or Rocky Hill. I would suggest Glastonbury as well, but the commute on Route 2 into Hartford is a pain! Hartford in and of itself is a fine city, with the typical problems of the only urban center in a large metropolitan area. Is it unsafe? Not exactly. Is it safe? Not exactly. I'd only suggest Hartford itself to anyone who thrives on an urban environment. Fortunately, Hartford has beautiful, safe suburbs that I'm sure you will love. Welcome to Connecticut!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:28 PM

20 posts, read 27,751 times
Yes I do own a car. I also don't mind taking a bus or something if needed. Another question I have is how difficult is it going to be to live on about $38,000 a year before taxes? I'm not sure what my salary will be if I'm offered the position, but I believe it will be between $38,000-$44,000 a year before taxes. I do also pay about $500 a month in credit card bills, will be paying about $800 a month in student loans. Car is paid for, but I owe my grandmother for it and plan to pay her about $150 a month, will also have to pay for insurance for the car. Currently, I'm living on $20,000 a year in Texas, but cost of living is much less here, and I haven't had to start paying back more than $50 in loans yet. It's extremely tough on what I'm making here which is why I'm looking to move else where with more income.

Thank you all for your replies. I have looked at some of the outside areas also and feel those really would be better, but just not sure I could afford it.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Monthly bills:
$850/rent
$500/credit
$800/student loans
$150/car

$2300 per month total x 12 = $27,600

If you are only making $38,000 BEFORE taxes that isn't possible as you'll be out of money for food, gas, clothes, utilities, etc.

I think you really need to find a place to live that is well below $850 per month among other things.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
It's impossible- you wouldn't be able to survive here on what you have left each month. Your basic existing debt is too, too high. There's nothing left over on which to live.

Besides, food, utilities, you also have to figure in the amount you would have to pay toward health insurance. Hopefully, your job would pay most of it, but few firms pay all of it anymore.

Even if you found a really cheap apartment and got a room mate or two room mates, your after tax income still doesn't provide enough income to support yourself.

I really don't see how you could live on your own until you got rid of the credit card debt and explored other possibilities with your student loans. I don't know what your student loan repayment schedule is but perhaps you would qualify for income based repayment, extended loan repayment or income contingent payment. Any of those may or may not help get your debt load reduced.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
correct would be tough in Glastonbury on that income, you havent even factored in gas, food, incidentals, entertainment, clothes, etc. Glastonbury rents are on the higher side, maybe $1000 a month?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:15 AM

754 posts, read 1,018,041 times
nowhere....

dont move there!

Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizz View Post
Yes I do own a car. I also don't mind taking a bus or something if needed. Another question I have is how difficult is it going to be to live on about $38,000 a year before taxes? I'm not sure what my salary will be if I'm offered the position, but I believe it will be between $38,000-$44,000 a year before taxes. I do also pay about $500 a month in credit card bills, will be paying about $800 a month in student loans. Car is paid for, but I owe my grandmother for it and plan to pay her about $150 a month, will also have to pay for insurance for the car. Currently, I'm living on $20,000 a year in Texas, but cost of living is much less here, and I haven't had to start paying back more than $50 in loans yet. It's extremely tough on what I'm making here which is why I'm looking to move else where with more income.
You can get by in the Hartford suburbs for what your salary would be. You can do it. You're not gonna be livin' it up like the girls from Sex & The City, and the cost of living is MUCH higher here, but it can be done. For that salary, you should be able to find an apartment and live a comfortable (if modest) life. I would suggest looking in either Wethersfield, Newington or W. Hartford - lots of rentals here and you should be able to find something decent that allows pets. The city of Hartford has apartments as well, but downtown is really the only place I'd recommend since the ones there are nicer and safer, but they're also way more expensive.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizz View Post

Thank you all for your replies. I have looked at some of the outside areas also and feel those really would be better, but just not sure I could afford it.
You can probably squeek by in Manchester in one of the "Mill" apartments (google it), but it's going to be tough on that salary and your current obligations.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut