U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,246,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I believe that until one makes the sacrifices that come along with providing for a family, they will never understand. I never did, and then I got married, had kids and purchased a [crappy] house. That $800 you speak of that should be no big deal, immediately turned into gold.
Boy isn't that the truth.

Considering my wife takes home $1500 a MONTH after daycare costs for a 50 hour work week, yea that $800 would come in handy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:36 AM

1,723 posts, read 1,732,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Boy isn't that the truth.

Considering my wife takes home $1500 a MONTH after daycare costs for a 50 hour work week, yea that $800 would come in handy.
You'd be just fine if only you would cut back; your Mexican habit is appalling!

How to live below your means and flourish in CT...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c9/Package_of_Maruchan_Ramen_Soup.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
No trans fat! I can slim down too!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM

6,752 posts, read 4,436,402 times
I guess I really fail to see what makes your family so different than my brother's. Same family size. Same income. My brother actually has a bigger mortgage. Two kids in day care. If there are personal circumstances to which you allude, that seems like it is hardly something to blame the state for..

And, of course, no one should be reduced to subsistance on Ramen. At the same time, there are plenty of people buying $5 drinks at Starbucks who don't have a months salary saved.

It's a tough situation and tough circumstances. I'm not sure being envious of trade union and municipal union members is the answer-- Not is taking away THEIR security... which doesn't elevate your position one bit.

I know an an anomaly. Having a family is definitely not in my future and I am fine with that. I don't want our state to become a place where only people like me can afford to live here. I also don't want our state to become Texas with nicer coastline.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:12 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Texas schools rank 47th/50.
On what scale? The state-by-state school rankings I've seen put Texas somewhere around the middle.

The bottom dwellers are usually CA, MS, LA, AL on the lists I've seen.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM

6,752 posts, read 4,436,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
On what scale? The state-by-state school rankings I've seen put Texas somewhere around the middle.

I honestly don't remember where I saw that... I'll try to source it.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I guess I really fail to see what makes your family so different than my brother's. Same family size. Same income. My brother actually has a bigger mortgage. Two kids in day care. If there are personal circumstances to which you allude, that seems like it is hardly something to blame the state for.
I don't come from wealth and priveledge. I didn't get my college paid for, nor anything else in life. Didn't get a dime for downpayment etc etc.

I had a reset, not blaming the state but we started over in 2006. That makes a big difference in how a family can get by. A family that started 10 years ago is in a different place. The state is changing and expenses are going up at a rate greater than personal growth.

Since you have no idea what my mortgage is, I'll tell you. $2375.00 per month.

CT has one of the highest COL in the nation. If you don't get that, conversation over.

Myself and a few other struggling households must be all wrong and your brother somehow got it right. Sorry that we suck. The state should raise taxes, and increase costs. It will be good for everybody. Utopia.

Since you edited your post: Envious? LOL No, not really. Just like you think things should be "fair" so do I. I expect my tax funded public employees to make fair market wage, and not work 7 hour days, have golden pensions and benefits we A can not afford and B do not exist for the private sector. We also do not need the amount of workers we have. The state is broke, and there is waste. Stop growing government and give the people some tax relief. Period.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 PM

11,622 posts, read 11,514,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post

Quote:
I honestly don't remember where I saw that... I'll try to source it.
As of 2009, going by high schools, Texas does far better at number 14, and California even better at 3.

America's Best High Schools: State-by-State Statistics - US News and World Report

Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM

834 posts, read 1,208,130 times
Quote:
Once again, it boils down to 'I want more money' --
Get it right. I want more of the money I EARNED!!!! Not a handout. I want to see more of the money I earn work for me and let me choose to spend it how I see fit. If I put that money into my own retirement or God forbid, take a vacation, let that be my choice.

Quote:
if people were just honest and said that, I'd respect them more. But then again, their endgame is a) paying less taxes, b) having more money in their pocket,
Less taxes and more money in your pocket? Say it ain't so! Seriously, is there anyone that denies this? I'm greedy because I want see more of the money I make going into my checking account?

Quote:
and c) somehow the world revolves around them such that all their other costs would stay the same while they d) pull in the same (or more) income. If only that were all true.
Doesn't everyone's world revolve around them and their family? Must be nice to have none of your own issues that you can walk around wringing your hands for everyone else.

And who said I want to buy a house in Avon? We searched many different towns for a rental house and ended up here because it was the only landlord that allowed 2 large dogs. You really think I knew or cared about Avon's reputation for being old money? I'm not from this state!
And let me tell you, the street I live on in Avon is pretty much an eyesore. There nothing fancy about this neighborhood. Mostly seniors, all of the homes are 800-900 square feet and built in the 1920's. The rental house I'm in hasn't seen an update since the 60's. I'm supposed to feel like I'm living it up because people down the road are millionaires?

Also, the libs here are proving my point. They hate to see anyone get ahead. They hate to see anyone succeed. The people who earn the money are greedy but the government taking the money isn't? So I should be thankful that the state of Connecticut really is just a modern day Robin Hood. Steal from what they perceive as rich and give to the poor. Nice. I wish I knew this before moving here. This last month has left me with the worst taste in my mouth and I seriously cannot wait to bolt. Take me someplace where I can go to a freakin' movie or restaurant and not have some smarmy, libtard who has no idea what it's like to support a family waxing poetic on what he thinks people should want to do with their money! Hilarious. Truly.

Oh and it's a pretty well known fact that the LESS disposable income people have the MORE the economy is hurt. The economy thrives on people having spending money and many industries take a huge hit when people cannot spend. More money for taxes= less money going into the economy= more layoffs, less profits, and the economy taking longer to recover. Again, I thought this was pretty well known.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:41 PM

5,368 posts, read 4,048,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
You'd be just fine if only you would cut back; your Mexican habit is appalling!

These are not healthy. Talk about enriched white grain and loads of sodium. I'd rather pay more and eat healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut