Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
What practice is that? Liberty, freedom, individual responsibility? Yea I'll defend that to the death, you bet.
No not nearly that ethereal. I am talking about millions who vote against their financial interests to keep and install those in power who do absolutely nothing for them... There are many who are manipulated by social issues that have zero effect on them personally. This is their right, but in the end they are supporting the very corporatist interests that are stealing their secure retirement, secure health care, etc...

Quote:
Rell was faced with a veto proof majority. She was useless, and had no teeth. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending that liberal but it was what it was. She could have ran through the legislature building naked and it would change nothing.
No doubt. I still don't remember the screams for leadership on these issues. Malloy is doing what has to be done, yet, now everyone complains!?!!?

Quote:
Don't be so sure. A lot of people - especially those nearing or getting to retirement are outta here. Color my family gone. It's easy in your position because really, you live in CT for what 8-10 days a month? Imagine if this was it. You live and conduct business here 48 weeks of the year, in Hartford. It might change your perspective.
I guess time will tell if all of these people bellyaching about theses necessary tax increases will move. I'm sure after their children have benefitted from the excellent schools, cultural opportunities etc., that Connecticut offers, they'll leave the rest of us with the bill

How much time I send on the road is irrelevant. I run a business based in Connecticut. I choose to come to Connecticut to run my business. That puts me on the playing field-- Even if my clients are world-wide.

Quote:
Look, I'm not trying to call you out or anythin but just a couple weeks ago you argued hard with me that companies don't consider taxes in regard to where they will be located. Remember those hundreds of business plans you vetted? Why the change of heart now?
You might want to review that discussion. I was limiting my comments specifically to startup technology companies-- An area where I have particular expertise. Again, not one business plan I read justified starting in a community due to a low tax structure environment. The recent Connecticut Technology Council backs my suppositions (Study Reports Connecticut Risks Losing its Fastest Job Growth Technology Firms - Connecticut Technology Council). The reasons that entrepreneurial tech start ups start in certain places have little to do with tax structure and much to do with other factors I have mentioned on here ad nauseam.

I see venture backed start up activity as a way to move Connecticut's economy in to the next century. The plant isn't reopening. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 03:16 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How about a fair, flat tax, regardless of how much one makes? It would be simple and fair. Complex tax code is a lost cause.
A flat tax is anything but fair. It's actually a regressive tax. The poor pay a much higher percentage of their income in tax than the rich....

As a middle class worker, let's see your expenses make up 70% of your income. You're taxed at a flat rate on 70% of your income.

A wealthy person may only need to spend 10% of their income and invest the rest... So effectively they have a lower tax rate than you do... Fair? I don't think so.

Ever wonder why the biggest proponent of the flat tax is named "Forbes" and is worth billions?

Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
JViello,
No worries, I'm not looking to move into your garage! Ha...ha... Just wanted ideas from someone who has done some research. I have been asking others as well, and reading other threads.

And yes, freedom = good. Hell, make as much money as you can, but there should be a fair and level playing field. When the big guys get an unfair advantage, yes, people will get pissed. And rightly so.

Kristin85 - Nothing personal meant. Just a vigorous debate. Most of the people I speak with (including myself and some neighbors) can hardly afford CT, and now with these new taxes, if they take, they have the potential to really change the landscape of CT.

As Bloomberg said about NYC: He wants to make it a "luxury item". Maybe this is what is in store for CT also??

Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Guv. Malloy: The Taxman on Vimeo

Ouch.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:31 PM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
mlassoff: Totally agree....

"No not nearly that ethereal. I am talking about millions who vote against their financial interests to keep and install those in power who do absolutely nothing for them... There are many who are manipulated by social issues that have zero effect on them personally. This is their right, but in the end they are supporting the very corporatist interests that are stealing their secure retirement, secure health care, etc..."

Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A flat tax is anything but fair. It's actually a regressive tax. The poor pay a much higher percentage of their income in tax than the rich....
That's inaccurate based on the actual "flat tax" proposals I've seen. They all had a big exemption for income before any taxes are due. So the poor pay nothing.

But it doesn't matter; a simple and understandable income tax will never exist, because it's to the advantage of legislators to make it complex. Complexity allows them to carve out exceptions that favor their friends and supporters, but not in a blatantly obvious way.

If, by some miracle, we got a simple flat tax with a huge income exemption, it wouldn't last more than 5 or 10 years before we'd be back to the complexity of today's tax laws.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,611 times
Well you can all feel good that Dannel will sign the bill allowing illegals to get in State tuition, and give them Drivers license as well. If you have'nt yet figured out that you are not wanted here, then I will. Get the hell out and never look back. The exodus will be monumental, and the replacements will be Mexicans, and Muslims. Do you really want that for your kids? GET OUT!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
BTW, do expect a mass exodus. Weicker's Income Tax and the 250,000 90s outbound migration costing Congressman #6, are not coincidental timing. Mass manufacturing loss (120k of 300k) also occured-in precisely the same decade.

Odds are, as was the case in pre Christie NJ when they soaked the rich, the rich showed they have other options. The problem is all states do tax increase projections based off static assumptions, so when the tax base falls w/ a tax hike, they explain it with a Gomer "shazam, how'd dat happen" look in their eye.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:58 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
mlassoff: Totally agree....

"No not nearly that ethereal. I am talking about millions who vote against their financial interests to keep and install those in power who do absolutely nothing for them... There are many who are manipulated by social issues that have zero effect on them personally. This is their right, but in the end they are supporting the very corporatist interests that are stealing their secure retirement, secure health care, etc..."
You might say the same thing about rich liberals who vote for higher taxrs on themselves because they support abortion, or some such thing. It works both ways.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonroe67 View Post
Well you can all feel good that Dannel will sign the bill allowing illegals to get in State tuition, and give them Drivers license as well. If you have'nt yet figured out that you are not wanted here, then I will. Get the hell out and never look back. The exodus will be monumental, and the replacements will be Mexicans, and Muslims. Do you really want that for your kids? GET OUT!

We know where the priorities of these liberals lie. The law-abiding taxpayer always comes last with these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut