Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,885,062 times

Advertisements

Until Ct addresses the issue of total state employee cost, both present and legacy, tax hikes are inevitable.

Even NY's Cuomo understands that, newspapers have mentioned he is contemplating a 10-15,000 statewide RIF.

It can be addressed via cost per unit or quantity, but either way its the only way to avoid repeat performances of this in years to come. Did anyone find AETNA's statements' timing (1 month into Malloy) somewhat a message?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,823,351 times
Welp, there goes my fast-dying hope of owning a home in CT. How the hell is this going to help young, middle class people like me get ahead? I am seriously coming to the realization that, unless I get a BIG raise, I am going to be a renter for at least 5-10 more years, living in CT. What a shame. It would have been nice to start building equity in my 20s.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,061,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Bill Maher was right - this IS a stupid country,
and the proof of that is that Bill Maher has an audience.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 PM

352 posts, read 775,281 times
soooo....the consolidation of state agencies for a savings of $10 million is about it for budget cuts? unbelievable.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 AM

834 posts, read 2,268,222 times
oh Beeeeker....where are you? We need someone to defend a tax hike!

Methinks a red state is in my future.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,129,434 times
Quote:
I hope Malloy enjoys being a one-term governor. Because if he raises gas taxes, salary taxes, estate taxes, eliminates property tax credits, gets rid of tax-free week, and taxes everything but the air, that's exactly what he will be. And I love how he says he's trying to promote a business-friendly environment. Really? And how's that?
Boy, it's a good thing for this state that the Supreme Court legalized sodomy.

My thoughts exactly - HOW is that???

Ugh, this made me sick when I heard it on the news last night. All it did was make me more determined to get out of here. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and I only hope I can make it out soon.

I have family here yes, but I also have family elsewhere. Nothing is really tying me down here except trying to save enough to have a cushion for when I move. Pffft! Trying to save is a joke!

Anyhow, yeah I can't believe this.

ETA: I CAN believe this actually.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:04 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,371,785 times
Quote:
Yeah well, it's easy to say that. It would not have surprised me if Foley hiked taxes if he got elected. The Courant ran an in-depth article prior to the elections, warning that taxes would be raised in 2012 regardless of who got elected. And people forget that when Rell was governor she proposed hiking the state income tax .5% before the recession hit. It is ludicrous to suggest only one party raises taxes. Republican or Democrat, we have no choices anymore - just one shade of grey. And if you think the Tea Party "patriots" are the answer, remember they're the party that believes the earth is 6,000 years old, and that Jesus will appear in their lifetime at an Osmond concert in Branson. Bill Maher was right - this IS a stupid country, and we've got the politicians in every party to prove it.

I'm not saying Foley would have been better & I'm not saying Rell was either. I'm not saying only one party raises taxes. Only one ALWAYS does though & our Republicans are as liberal as any democrat ever was these days. But to vote for the worst of the worst is simply foolhardy. We would be sending a message if we started getting rid of the liberal Democrats & then MAYBE some Republicans would try to be more conservative.
Politicians try to be what they think we want. We have become staunchly liberal in this state so anybody wanting to get elected here will be liberal, regardless of party.

As far as the Tea Party I dont care about their religous views I care about their political views. If they worship the Devil but are for responsible SMALL govt I'd vote for them. What we need is change, not rhetorical change like our President offers but serious change. Tough decisions need to be made. Decisions between pet govt employees & the tax payers, between people in line with their hands out & people working & paying taxes. Things like that.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
and the proof of that is that Bill Maher has an audience.
No. Proof of that is one ignoring an obvious (and accurate) statement like this...

Quote:
Republican or Democrat, we have no choices anymore - just one shade of grey.
...to continue their one-sided attacks. Lets face it, no party is in it for the people.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:33 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,371,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

...to continue their one-sided attacks. Lets face it, no party is in it for the people.
Sure they are. They give us what it looks like we want. Take a quick look at some recent topics here in the CT forum & you come away with the feeling that we WANT & like taxpayer funded social programs & the huge govt that comes with it. I know it looks like I harp on the handouts alot & its because I do. When we give $1 to someone who needs it thru the Govt it probably costs us at least $5 because of the bureaucracy involved. People need to run these things & those people need to have administrators over them & many underlings. Each & every one gets a handsome salary, pension & benefits we get to pay for. When you lobby for social aid you lobby for MORE state jobs & higher taxation. Thats just one example of us getting what we obviously ask for. Its my peet peeve but its not the only issue.

We need to lose the wishy washy feel good BS & act like we are running a state not a soup kitchen or employment agency. Taxes should only reflect the cost of govt & essential services, nothing more. Its not because of Democrat or Republican, its simply from liberal politics of ANY party.

We need to get back to the basics that allowed this state & the whole country to grow & prosper for so long. There is NOTHING we need to fund now that we didn't need to fund 20 years ago, yet even though theres many more people here to share the cost we have taxes now going up that didn't even exist at all 20 years ago. If a person had invested in a company with those results they's pul out. But not CT, we just keep on electing more & more liberals & then cry because they do what liberals do.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:49 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
They give us what it looks like we want.
I completely agree, and the above quoted is why both parties are more alike than similar. Foley would have raised taxes as well IMO, but Malloy is over the top. Way over the top.

Is it fair to say we're now more burdened than NJ and CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut