U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:15 PM

6,805 posts, read 5,222,931 times

Advertisements

Canaan is the most rural town possible in CT, with a population density of around 24 persons per square mile, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 PM

25 posts, read 22,650 times
Thank you so much to everyone who responded to me - for some reason the forum notification did not get to me, and I didn't know that there were so many more replies.

Real estate agent is now encouraging us to look at Barkhamsted and New Hartford - anyone have an opinion there?

One reason I have been leaning towards Torrington is that I really would like to live in a neighborhood, with neighbors -- for playdates for the kids, and company for myself. I'm not going to find that in most of the NW corner towns mentioned, am I?

Old 03-20-2011, 08:56 PM

577 posts, read 590,920 times
That part of Connecticut is very beautiful, but very quiet if you like that.

Torrington not too bad there should have many kids living there

Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 AM

30 posts, read 29,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsushi View Post
Thank you so much to everyone who responded to me - for some reason the forum notification did not get to me, and I didn't know that there were so many more replies.

Real estate agent is now encouraging us to look at Barkhamsted and New Hartford - anyone have an opinion there?

One reason I have been leaning towards Torrington is that I really would like to live in a neighborhood, with neighbors -- for playdates for the kids, and company for myself. I'm not going to find that in most of the NW corner towns mentioned, am I?
New Hartford and Barkhamsted are beautiful, and very rural. However, they do feel a bit isolated, and can be difficult to get to the highway outside of rt. 8.

Depending on where you live within those towns, you can get to the shopping within Canton and Avon within 10-20 mins.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:28 PM

10,698 posts, read 8,093,770 times
Quote:

Have you considered Litchfield? It has a really nice town center.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 PM

26,301 posts, read 14,366,661 times
Canaan could be my next move. I really liked the feel of the town. Keep in mind the only "main" road is Route7. So keep that in mind when thinking about commute. Its not as congested as further south but its also not a highway either.

Torrington sounds like something you would need.

Canaan to Torrington you would take Rt 44 to Rt8. About 30-35 Minutes.
Canaan to Litchfield RT63 down. 33-40 minutes.
Canaan to Bristol RT44 to RT8. 1 Hour+

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Canaan could be my next move. I really liked the feel of the town. Keep in mind the only "main" road is Route7. So keep that in mind when thinking about commute. Its not as congested as further south but its also not a highway either.

Torrington sounds like something you would need.

Canaan to Torrington you would take Rt 44 to Rt8. About 30-35 Minutes.
Canaan to Litchfield RT63 down. 33-40 minutes.
Canaan to Bristol RT44 to RT8. 1 Hour+

Good luck.
Actually rt 44 is also a "main road". Also if you're going to TTown from Canaan and not North Canaan, 126 to 63, to 4 is quicker than 44 to 8 every time, and you avoid Winsted and the associated roadside tax collectors as well. And TTown while working in Canaan??? It has it's bright spots, but it's not where I'd choose to raise a child. You might have to look harder for affordable housing close to Canaan, but it's there, I promise. And close to there Salisbury and Sharon have the lowest property taxes.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Actually rt 44 is also a "main road". Also if you're going to TTown from Canaan and not North Canaan, 126 to 63, to 4 is quicker than 44 to 8 every time, and you avoid Winsted and the associated roadside tax collectors as well. And TTown while working in Canaan??? It has it's bright spots, but it's not where I'd choose to raise a child. You might have to look harder for affordable housing close to Canaan, but it's there, I promise. And close to there Salisbury and Sharon have the lowest property taxes.
Just visited last weekend - have a better sense of the area now. I still want to live in an area where I have neighbors, but I'm not as panicked about it, LOL.

My goodness, what is up with these CT taxes?? I currently pay $2200, so I'm in total shock.

Current front runners are New Hartford and Thomaston over Torrington because of school district reputations. Trying to get close to 8 in both locations.

I am still VERY confused as to what the name of the area is where DH works - it's the BD plant - I think the address is Rt 7 and Grace Way. Is that Canaan or North Canaan? Is it the area referred to as Falls Village?

Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM

10,698 posts, read 8,093,770 times
Quote:
Just visited last weekend - have a better sense of the area now. I still want to live in an area where I have neighbors, but I'm not as panicked about it, LOL.

My goodness, what is up with these CT taxes?? I currently pay $2200, so I'm in total shock.

Current front runners are New Hartford and Thomaston over Torrington because of school district reputations. Trying to get close to 8 in both locations.

I am still VERY confused as to what the name of the area is where DH works - it's the BD plant - I think the address is Rt 7 and Grace Way. Is that Canaan or North Canaan? Is it the area referred to as Falls Village?
Did you look at Litchfield? Near Route 8, not far from Canaan, beautiful town center, good schools.

Route 63 intersects Litchfield and is a straight shot to Canaan. It might be ideal for you, be sure to check it out! I bet you'll love the little town center near Litchfield Green.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Did you look at Litchfield? Near Route 8, not far from Canaan, beautiful town center, good schools.

Route 63 intersects Litchfield and is a straight shot to Canaan. It might be ideal for you, be sure to check it out! I bet you'll love the little town center near Litchfield Green.
Yes, love Litchfield... just haven't found a house big enough in our price range.. we would ideally like 4BR.... totally spoiled by housing prices in North Carolina. I'll look again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut