U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:02 PM

25 posts, read 21,637 times
Many thanks to all who gave advice. We are in the process of buying a house in New Hartford and are very excited. Can't wait to become a CT resident!

Last edited by mjsushi; 04-30-2011 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: wanted to give fewer personally identifying info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 PM

392 posts, read 395,546 times
I'm curious ... I've lived in Colorado since 1979, but I'm from Winsted. Why wasn't it mentioned as a possible place to live?

It was a great town to grow up in, and it's so close to Hartford and all those towns along Rt. 44 and the commute to Canaan is pretty quick. I know it's been looking a little rough around the edges for many years, but I think it still has a lot going for it.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:34 PM

25 posts, read 21,637 times
mtngigi,

I agree, Winsted is a good location, for sure.

However, I think that recently Winsted schools may not be rated as highly as some of the surrounding towns, so that might be a reason why people didn't suggest it. (just saying that based on some moms I talked to at the playground a few weeks ago, nothing 'scientific.')

Old 08-21-2011, 06:56 PM

657 posts, read 461,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsushi View Post
mtngigi,

I agree, Winsted is a good location, for sure.

However, I think that recently Winsted schools may not be rated as highly as some of the surrounding towns, so that might be a reason why people didn't suggest it. (just saying that based on some moms I talked to at the playground a few weeks ago, nothing 'scientific.')
mjsushi, how do you like new Hartford so far?

I dont know too much about it and am curious about details.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:45 PM

657 posts, read 484,041 times
Winsted is really low class. It's kind of like a northern redneck town.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 AM

392 posts, read 395,546 times
Well, since I have family in Winsted who are decidedly not rednecks (and by the way, what's wrong with that?), making a blanket statement like that makes me wonder what kind of a person you are, other than a snob.

The fact is, no matter where you go*, you are going to find a wide variety of all sorts of people, and that's what makes this country so interesting.

*Except, I guess where you live, where everyone must be perfect, right?

Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 PM

657 posts, read 484,041 times
The fact is Winsted is a low class, white trash, run down town.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM

14,270 posts, read 22,373,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
The fact is Winsted is a low class, white trash, run down town.
I do not agree. Winsted is an old mill town and like many, has seen better days but there are many nice areas in Winsted and a lot of nice people. To generalize it is unfair. Jay

Old 08-27-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 439 times
To try to clarify, B-D is in Canaan (which is also legally known as North Canaan). Most maps show it as Canaan, although a few will say North Canaan. But they are the same.
Falls Village, legally known as the Town of Canaan but shown on all maps as Falls Village, is just south of Canaan. They were once part of the same town but split up when the members of one of the churches had a falling out and went to different towns.
My three kids, now 26, 28 & 30, were all raised here, went to North Canaan Elementary School, and have gone off and are becoming successes. It was a great place to raise kids (we were in a nice residential area) - they could walk to school, the town pool in summer or the hockey pond in the winter, and many of their friends houses.
There's no question that most of us parents know that we have to drive to get to play dates, shopping, entertainment, etc, but it was all worth it. We have several good shopping places right in Canaan but can go to Gt. Barrington or Torrington for slightly better selections. And if it's malls you want, there are quite a few in various directions, mostly about 1 hour away.
Locally, there are art galleries, a very active playhouse with some wonderful plays performed, a kids' theater group in Falls Village, wonderful volunteer opportunities, a good hospital, and a marvelous community, whether it is in Canaan itself or the extended Region One area - Falls Village, Lakeville/Salisbury, Sharon, Cornwall, and Kent (although that is quite a hike for us).
If you are buying, you'll get a better bargain in Canaan rather than the surrounding towns. The taxes do vary considerably from town to town. The elementary schools are all fairly equal,for the most part.
I am involved with North Canaan Elementary (I have been running an after school program there for 20 years) and have always been pleased with the school. Could they be better? Yes, but you can work with them if you want to, and as a parent, you can add to what they get at school. My kids have all graduated from college and one has a master's as well. And they all started at NCES!
Canaan is a working town but it will be what you make of it. The opportunities are there if you look for them. I have loved living in Canaan and raising my family there and I highly recommend in over any of the "cities" in our area.
But if you have to have more people around you, I guess I would go with New Hartford. It's snobbier but maybe not too bad. Once you get to Canton, you might as well be in Hartford. And that's not a nice commute for your husband. But you could also consider Gt. Barrington in Massachusetts. It's a very happening little city with some nice residential areas. The town itself is sort of a new age hippie town, always hopping.
I know I got carried away but I know how hard it is to try to get a feel for an area when you don't know anything about it. I do so love this area and think that most everyone would as well, once they settled in.
So, good luck to you and feel free to call even if just to pick my brain some more!

Last edited by JayCT; 08-27-2011 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Removed advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut