U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:29 PM

6,356 posts, read 10,560,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It doesn't work that way here, so this is not an option. If the town doesn't sign off on it, it's useless.
Says who? In my case my listing agent needed an inspection report, so I hired an independent inspector who certified that the work was done to code (which is was). That was good enough for the listing agent and they closed the sale.

Quote:
Contractors don't "sign off" on anything, the town does and THEY determine if something was done to code or not.
They certainly do if their offered services include electrical inspections. Perhaps their inspector also contracted to the city to do inspections, that's possible too. At any rate, it was the inspection report that the selling agents needed to make the sale, not a building permit se. I would certainly try this approach if it became an issue first before I'd go to the city and grovel for a retroactive permit.

Last edited by kdog; 02-18-2011 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM

33 posts, read 296,314 times
CT MainStreet & Kdog, thank you both and everyone else that has given a lot of advice on this thread.

I'm not surprised to find that there are various opinions out there, people have different experience and consider the situation from different perspective. That is what we need to hear.

If starting all over again, we will definately get the permit to get everything right from the beginning.. (A big lesson for future!) But now that this has already happened...I know this may not be the best idea, but we decided to wait... We are very happy with the quality of our kitchen, never had any problems... We will see what the buyers say... Of course if it doesn't pass the home inspection, we will do whatever we need to do to get things right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMainStreet View Post
Sannysw,
I really don't think you need to worry. Read below for more info:

A home inspector determines the condition of a structure. A professional home inspection is an examination of the current condition of a house. It is not an inspection to verify compliance with appropriate codes
An appraiser will determine the value of the home. They will come in and determine updates that have been made and overall condition. If you have a buyer who is pursuing FHA financing, there are certain repairs the appraiser will focus on and may ask the homeowner to fix. Here is a list of possible repairs.

Last edited by sannysw; 02-18-2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,919 times
So what ever happened? Did you sell with no problem

Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM

3 posts, read 9,042 times
I am wanting to remodel my livingroom. But i also need to replace some drywall. And part of the floor. This an old moble home. Do i need a permit.. Thanks jenny

Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM

i am wanting to remodel my livingroom.replace some drywall, repair parts of the floor do i need a permit? thanks jenny

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM

Default remodeling

do i need a permit to remodel a livingroom , no electric needed all wireing is there.. thanks jenny

Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,784,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zink123 View Post
I am wanting to remodel my livingroom. But i also need to replace some drywall. And part of the floor. This an old moble home. Do i need a permit.. Thanks jenny
No, you don't. It's a mobile home, you're not adding on, you're not tearing down load-bearing walls of a structure attached to the ground. I believe you'd still need to get a permit if you were re-wiring the structure completely. But because it's a mobile home, I don't think you even need a permit to replace the windows. Check with your local zoning department to be sure.

Also, posting three different posts in 6 minutes asking the same question in different ways isn't going to get you more responses than if you posted just once.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM

631 posts, read 663,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No, you don't. It's a mobile home, you're not adding on, you're not tearing down load-bearing walls of a structure attached to the ground. I believe you'd still need to get a permit if you were re-wiring the structure completely. But because it's a mobile home, I don't think you even need a permit to replace the windows. Check with your local zoning department to be sure.

Also, posting three different posts in 6 minutes asking the same question in different ways isn't going to get you more responses than if you posted just once.
permit to replace windows? are you kidding me?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM

240 posts, read 216,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
permit to replace windows? are you kidding me?
I asked my town if I needed permits for windows. The response was that it depends upon the number of windows. I decided to replace them all one at a time, so as to avoid paying for the permit.

(Of course, I did replace 9 in one day but I did them one at a time).

Old 11-30-2013, 09:28 AM

7,484 posts, read 14,495,595 times
Old thread, but may be useful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Good questions

In general ;

You do not need a permit for minor electrical or plumbing work - like replacing a standard electrical outlet with a GFI outlet, replacing a ceiling light or putting in a new sink.

You do need a permit for any brand new electrical work and any new plumbing work. Such as it if you added additional wiring to what was there or moved plumbing around in the room by relocating a sink, etc.

You probably don't need a permit for new cabinets if you stayed in the same footprint. A permit is not needed for the island or new flooring.

Removing the wall may or may not be OK. If it is a load bearing wall, then you needed a permit.

Now how to fix this. Each town or city has its own procedures and its own local building code. There is a basic state code, but local code can be more stringent.

Best to call the local building inspector and ask. It's very unlikely you would be fined. More likely you will have to take out any permits suggested then have the local building inspector come over to inspect it.

Will it hurt you to sell your home ? Most likely the appraiser for the buyer's bank or mortgage company will pick up on the lack of permits . You're probably going to use the new kitchen as a selling point, so it will be noted in the multiple listing page the real estate agent uses, thus the appraiser will know. The appraiser will also note the age of the house and will put two and two together if the kitchen is much newer than what would be typical for the age of the home. Any home inspector will also note any conditions not up to current code.
The permit shows that your idea was sound in the first place, than the inspection makes sure it was done correctly. You can hide wiring and plumbing from the sale, but a trained eye can spot where these additions were made since the new additions/construction won't match up with the old...sometimes.

If the home caught on fire due to faulty wiring, you could potentionally be held liable since you did not get the permit[s].

Wiring and plumbing aside, you absolutely needed a permit to remove a wall. Are you 100% certain the wall was not load-bearing? Even if it were some random wall that appears innocuous, you have know way of knowing if the structural integrity of the building can hold up without. Granted, this would become the problem of the new homeowners, but still, why pass along a headache?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sannysw View Post
Thanks Kdog, are you saying if I do need to pull the permit, the town will agree to go by the inspection report by a large construction contractor with reputation? I thought for any remodeling job, the town will require to send their own city inspector to do the inspection?

Really appreciate your advice, it might really save our situation!
The whole point of permits is to protect the consumer (and others) from faulty and shody construction from contractors looking to cut corners. No reputable construction firm would sign-off if no permits are present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
They certainly do if their offered services include electrical inspections. Perhaps their inspector also contracted to the city to do inspections, that's possible too. At any rate, it was the inspection report that the selling agents needed to make the sale, not a building permit se. I would certainly try this approach if it became an issue first before I'd go to the city and grovel for a retroactive permit.
See above. No reputable construction firm, even if they have their own inspectors, would sign off on something that absolutely requires the one thing missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut