Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Going through an intersection after the light turns yellow is illegal.
I retract my statement... re-reading the post it sounds like she was aware she went through the yellow light in which now sounds like she should of had enough time to stop .... BUT... in her defense.,..Yellow means slow down and if the light turns yellow as your approaching the intersection then obviously you cant stop inside the interesection, just slow down and use caution.. thats why it goes from Green to yellow to Red and not Green to RED.

We dont know the exact details and amount of space between light, car, intersection, speed, ect. ect.. so all that would be assumed... Cops wouldnt just hand out a ticket for the hell of it. He saw something we didnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I retract my statement... re-reading the post it sounds like she was aware she went through the yellow light in which now sounds like she should of had enough time to stop .... BUT... in her defense.,..Yellow means slow down and if the light turns yellow as your approaching the intersection then obviously you cant stop inside the interesection, just slow down and use caution.. thats why it goes from Green to yellow to Red and not Green to RED.
Yellow means slow down so you can stop, not slow down to proceed through the intersection. Basically, when going through an intersection with a green light, you should reduce your speed anyway so you can safely stop when it turns yellow.

Don't get me wrong - I've stepped on the gas last second to make the light. Who hasn't? But don't b*tch when you're caught and ticketed.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM

2005 Connecticut Code - Sec. 14-299. Traffic control signals. Right turn on red. :: Justia Law

Quoting Sec. 14-299 (b)
(2) Yellow: Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter, when vehicular traffic shall stop before entering the intersection unless so close to the intersection that a stop cannot be made in safety; pedestrians facing a steady yellow signal, except when directed by separate pedestrian-control signals, are thereby advised that there is insufficient time to cross the roadway before a red indication is shown and no pedestrian shall then start to cross the roadway.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
2005 Connecticut Code - Sec. 14-299. Traffic control signals. Right turn on red. :: Justia Law

Quoting Sec. 14-299 (b)
(2) Yellow: Vehicular traffic facing a steady yellow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter, when vehicular traffic shall stop before entering the intersection unless so close to the intersection that a stop cannot be made in safety; pedestrians facing a steady yellow signal, except when directed by separate pedestrian-control signals, are thereby advised that there is insufficient time to cross the roadway before a red indication is shown and no pedestrian shall then start to cross the roadway.
Exactly. The only time it's alright for a vehicle to proceed through a yellow light is if it stopping is a safety hazard (e.g. slamming on brakes to cause a chain reaction behind you).

Thanks for proving my point.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Exactly. The only time it's alright for a vehicle to proceed through a yellow light is if it stopping is a safety hazard (e.g. slamming on brakes to cause a chain reaction behind you).

Thanks for proving my point.
No prob. thats why I said we dont know the details so we cant assume. The cop knows how fast she was going or if there was room to stop or if there were cars right behind her.

Hopefully she posts back here with an update.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 PM

8 posts, read 44,431 times
Quote:
No prob. thats why I said we dont know the details so we cant assume. The cop knows how fast she was going or if there was room to stop or if there were cars right behind her.

Hopefully she posts back here with an update.

I'm back~. Thanks guys for all your posters.

Yes, I did notice the yellow light and thought about stopping right away. But that intersection is quite close to a driveway. Last week the car in front of mine stopped with the yellow light, but slided over the line and blocked 2/3 entrance of that driveway; another car coming from the left (it has green lights) was just heading up the driveway......

So I sped up and passed the intersection. You guys know what happened next....

Old 02-25-2011, 05:57 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
If you see the officer there go up to him politely and ask him if there's anything he can do for you to reduce the points or fine.
A. the cop will never be at the first hearing, it's just you and prosecutor. B. It's out of the cops hands. The ticket is written, they can't change it or rip it up. It doesn't work that way. He has no power over any of it at this point, only the prosecutor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena2010 View Post
I'm back~. Thanks guys for all your posters.

Yes, I did notice the yellow light and thought about stopping right away. But that intersection is quite close to a driveway. Last week the car in front of mine stopped with the yellow light, but slided over the line and blocked 2/3 entrance of that driveway; another car coming from the left (it has green lights) was just heading up the driveway......

So I sped up and passed the intersection. You guys know what happened next....
It's my understanding that insurance companies do not look at "points' but they do look at your history. Years ago I got a paperwork ticket at my shop, (Minor violation that was fixed the next day) yet somehow it ended up on my license "history" as a "fine" yet asigned no points. My insurance went up and I had to go through hell to get it fixed.

Send it in not guilty, and as others said eat humble pie. Your record is clean, but you are guilty of this. Just hope for mercy.

As a side note a friend of mine who is an atty got a ticket and represented himself. He told the prosecutor up front that he was an atty, but didn't argue the ticket AT ALL. He said something along the lines of "I was going to take a driver education course after receiving this fine, and noticed the cost was about the same as the ticket, but I can't afford to do both". The ticket was dropped, and he took the course.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
B. It's out of the cops hands. The ticket is written, they can't change it or rip it up. It doesn't work that way. He has no power over any of it at this point, only the prosecutor.
That's what I used to think too. In actuality, the officer has the power to nolle the ticket at any time before a prosecutor makes their ruling. You're right though when you say they won't be there - they MIGHT show only if it goes to a judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
As a side note a friend of mine who is an atty got a ticket and represented himself. He told the prosecutor up front that he was an atty, but didn't argue the ticket AT ALL. He said something along the lines of "I was going to take a driver education course after receiving this fine, and noticed the cost was about the same as the ticket, but I can't afford to do both". The ticket was dropped, and he took the course.
Good choice of words. It really does pay off to be nice.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
That's what I used to think too. In actuality, the officer has the power to nolle the ticket at any time before a prosecutor makes their ruling. You're right though when you say they won't be there - they MIGHT show only if it goes to a judge.
Really? Are you sure about that? I'd be interested in reading some more about that if that's the case. That's crazy if that's the case. Your under arrest, no wait, nevermind...no, come back I changed my mind again.

Quote:
Good choice of words. It really does pay off to be nice.
Yea John's pretty slick. He's a criminal defense attorney. He actually got a guy off who was caught sleeping in a state park, IN the stolen car he was in possesion of. All he did was create an org chart detailing how his client came into possesion of the car. He didn't deny it, just explained it. It was so complex and detailed the prosecutor just gave the guy a fine for sleeping in a state park. LOL

Old 02-25-2011, 01:09 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena2010 View Post
This morning on the way I sent my daughter to school, I went through a yellow light (on the cherry st., near south I95 entrance) and got pulled over for failure to obey a red light.

I argued with the officer that it was yellow, but he insisted I missed the red light, and gave a complaint ticket with a fine of $124.

I moved to CT 2 years ago, and my history is totally clean. No idea about the CT system, so I checked the website and found "no points If you make your payment in full and your case disposes at the Centralized Infractions Bureau, however it will appear on your driving history. Points are only given if there is a conviction (a finding of guilty) or a bond forfeiture, after a court hearing." which mean if I fail the court, I will lose points and pay more as well?

I am thinking if I should go to court to fight it? Is there any possibility that I can get my ticket dismissed? I really do not want it hurt my history and insurance. Depressed all the day~~

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
I'm so sorry. I am an offender fleeing over orange myself and I can empathize

Yes, you should go to court if you are concerned about insurance, and you should be.

This thing is a pain.

Totally unrelated, but again, this is where I miss India sorely I can buy cops like commodities in the futures market. Sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut